Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 5:48:03 PM EDT
I am looking for a full size 1911 with a rail for a truck gun & house gun.
Two places where I can leave a pistol with a light and when I grab it Im not worried about holster issues as I grabbed it since there is a problem.

Of course I know there is the Wilson CQB with the rail but that's 2000.
I really would like to stay at 1000 or under.

I was looking at the Kimber Warrior and it is nice but no full rail.  Thankfuly it has the series I parts so it's something I would buy.

Is there anything else anyone would suggest I look at?

I have looked at the S/A TRP but I do not like the adjustable sights on it.  Too bad as it looks like a real nice piece.   I want fixed sights.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Springfield?

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The TRP and the warrior are great guns. I like the Warrior a little bit more.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#3]
SA operator/TPR or Kimber Warrior or TLE w/ rail (if only they had internal extractors)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:19:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:44:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the MC Operator posted above.  Other excellent options are from Para-Ordnance.

They have a hi-cap (14+1, or 17/18+1 with aftermarket mag basepads) with a rail:
paraord.com/pages/indexd.html
(in the 2006 catalog you can get this in 40S&W or 9mm also.

And in their 2006 catalog they show a couple single stack 1911s with rails.
www.paraord.com/pages/catalog.html
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the TRP Operator is sweet :)
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the TRP as well BUT I do not like the external extractor (OK I now know I was misinformed and the S/A uses an I/E) AND I do not like the adjustable sights that come on the TRP...  To be honest I HATE them.  I just played with one at the local shop a couple days ago and even the store owner was less than impressed with them for this type of gun.
It really does not look like it would even be an easy swap to put in other sights, I really do not understand why they do not offer this with the fixed night sights like the regular TRP

The TRP has that full rail which I love and I dont think there are many others with the full rail either.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I like the TRP as well BUT I do not like the external extractor AND I do not like the adjustable sights that come on the TRP...  To be honest I HATE them.  I just played with one at the local shop a couple days ago and even the store owner was less than impressed with them for this type of gun.
It really does not look like it would even be an easy swap to put in other sights, I really do not understand why they do not offer this with the fixed night sights like the regular TRP

The TRP has that full rail which I love and I dont think there are many others with the full rail either.

Would you care to point out the external extracter in that picture?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Would you care to point out the external extracter in that picture?

Correct, Springfield does not use an external extractor.

And, if you don't want the adj sights, get the MC Operator, then.

I have a regular TRP w/o a rail and w/ the fixed sights. And, I like it a lot. A TRP Operator would be nice, but I lack the funds :p
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#10]
OK I was clearly misinformed, I though it had the EE.

Anyway, I like the MC operator but if I am not able to get a full rail I will get the Kimber Warrior.

I really would like a full rail, thats the problem I am having with finding something.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
OK I was clearly misinformed, I though it had the EE.

Anyway, I like the MC operator but if I am not able to get a full rail I will get the Kimber Warrior.

I really would like a full rail, thats the problem I am having with finding something.

Take this with a grain of salt... as I have not owned or even shot either pistol... but I have seen many more complaints on Kimbers than SA's.   Also, I believe the MC Operator beat out the Kimber Warrior in the Marine Det 1 SOCOM competition.  The MCO also appears to give you more rail than most other railed 1911s (though not a full length rail).  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am looking for a full size 1911 with a rail for a truck gun & house gun.
Two places where I can leave a pistol with a light and when I grab it Im not worried about holster issues as I grabbed it since there is a problem.

Of course I know there is the Wilson CQB with the rail but that's 2000.
I really would like to stay at 1000 or under.

I was looking at the Kimber Warrior and it is nice but no full rail.  Thankfuly it has the series I parts so it's something I would buy.

Is there anything else anyone would suggest I look at?

I have looked at the S/A TRP but I do not like the adjustable sights on it.  Too bad as it looks like a real nice piece.   I want fixed sights.

Price wise=Kimber TLE w/internal etractor.  The TLE is a great gun.  If you have the money=Wilson CQB w/removable rail, this way you have options and versatility depending on light choice.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#13]
In your price range I only see two options:

(1.)SA MC Operator
(2.)Kimber Warrior

Both can be found under a $1,000 with some research.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]
You might try looking for an SA Loaded operator.  Springfield still makes a few small runs each year, but they can be difficult to find.  It might be possible to find a lightly used one and the price should be well under $1000, with Novak fixed sights.  Sounds like just the think you're looking for.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Whats the big deal with full length rails.  I think its just extra weight.  A surefire or M3 will easily fit on a short rail.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Whats the big deal with full length rails.  I think its just extra weight.  A surefire or M3 will easily fit on a short rail.

Its for the vertical foregrip...duh

Isnt is possible to have a rail added to any 1911?  I think YoBo and probably some others can add a rail on the gun of your choice.

ETA:  But it wont be a full length.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I "borrowed" this picture from a guy on the 1911 forums.  It's a Surefire Nitrolon P101.  The owner said he had to do some slight Dremelling to get it to fit the rail, however I've read posts over there where owners of SA rail-guns and Surefires didn't have to make any modifications.

Personally, I think it looks a hell of a lot better than a light on a full-rail model.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Im going to keep my eyes out there and try to find a S/A Loaded Operator, I really think that would be the best way for me to go.

Thanks for the tip.

As to those who think a full sized rail looks silly, or are saying its not needed...
I know its not, but I like the looks of it and lets face it...  90% of us here are not LE, Mil or contractors so we are buying these because we want them, not we need them and I want the full rail.  Obviously I am not the only one as they make them, obviously not everyone wants the full rail as there are only a couple models with a full rail

As for my budget, that is flexible...  I do not want to go get a custom build for this as it will be far from a primary carry gun and as it's more of a toy for lack of better terms Id rather not spend 3G on a custom build.

Anyone have a loaded operator with the full rail and novak sights???  Let me know  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

As to those who think a full sized rail looks silly, or are saying its not needed...
I know its not, but I like the looks of it and lets face it...  90% of us here are not LE, Mil or contractors so we are buying these because we want them, not we need them and I want the full rail.  Obviously I am not the only one as they make them, obviously not everyone wants the full rail as there are only a couple models with a full rail

Fair enough.  No one is bashing your choice or liking of the full rail, if it works for you and is what you want go for it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought a Kimber Warrior because I worship at the alter of John Moses Browning and was looking for a railed 1911 on which to mount a weapon light for use as my nightstand things that go bump in the night gun.  This pistol meets all those requirements perfectly.  The fact that I think it looks sweet is a bonus - it is one of my favorite handguns now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Isnt is possible to have a rail added to any 1911?  I think YoBo and probably some others can add a rail on the gun of your choice.

Yes, you can have a rail added. Yost and Dawson Precision seem to make the best add on rails.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:59:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I love my operator loaded, I think the wood grips are classy and I like the extra weight of the rail even tho I dont use it too often.
I vote operatorhttp://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/J75player/1.jpg
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#23]
WOOO HOOO

THAT IS IT!  That is EXACTLY what I want!  Now it is time to find one.

Let the search begin!
Thank you to everyone for all of your help.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm partial to my "2011" rail gun....

STI Tactical 4.15.  18+1 rounds of 40S&W 180 grain JHPs.....

It has a "full length" dust cover, but it is a commander sized slide (4.15")  Sadly, it totally blows your budget (MSRP is just under $2k.)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#25]
U da man! That looks sweet :)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm partial to my "2011" rail gun....

STI Tactical 4.15.  18+1 rounds of 40S&W 180 grain JHPs.....

It has a "full length" dust cover, but it is a commander sized slide (4.15")  Sadly, it totally blows your budget (MSRP is just under $2k.)

So have you tried putting your m203 on it yet?

I like them too. (mine holds 20+1)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#27]
THANK YOU to Dubb and everyone else who pointed me in the direction of the Loaded Operator with the full rail.
I found one locally and picked it up today. WOW does it feel nice in my hands, no mistaking that this is one solid piece!

Special thanks to Bryan and Mike at Top Gun. This was my first time buying there and I must say they have GREAT sales people. I will be back again soon!

I think I got a fair deal, I may have been able to do better if I sat and looked for a while but I am very happy with the price.

I paid 750 + tax for a loaded operator with the standard wood grips which it comes with, a pair of Gunner grips, 3 Wilson mags & a 3 month membership for their range. It was used but it really looks like it was barely shot and I doubt if it was ever carried.

I will get some pics up for all of you very soon!

I think I need to start looking for a pair of the Laser grips now... Not that I need them but it would be a fun toy (then again most of us don't need 99% of what we buy)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Pics for those of you who asked.
Sorry about the quality...
You can see why I dont use a camera to pay my bills.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Glad to hear you got what you were wanting.  

You know the drill, range report, more pics, etc., etc..
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:34:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So have you tried putting your m203 on it yet?

Hmmm.....(runs to safe to check it out)

I like them too. (mine holds 20+1)
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/wombatslayer/40cal.jpg

What caliber?  I can sometimes squeeze in 19 to the tubes.  I should probably get them "tuned."  Yours is really bad-ass, because you built it yourself, yes?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#31]

(A friend’s KT build photoshopped for a different thread.)

That one is a 40 short and weak.  I have heard of people getting 21 in a 140mm mag but do not know how they can do it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:04:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/wombatslayer/45_1.jpg
(A friend’s KT build photoshopped for a different thread.)

That one is a 40 short and weak.  I have heard of people getting 21 in a 140mm mag but do not know how they can do it.

yeah but the 203 more than makes up for that right,,,,lol
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:56:04 AM EDT
[#33]
JYogi,

I think you got a sweet deal for your gun.  

Range report??
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I have done two trips to the range with her so far.
50 rds each trip as I did not have much time but she shot GREAT!
I really think I shot better with her than anything else I have.
No problems with here running at all either.

She shoots far better than I can!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top