Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 5:44:46 PM EDT
So, who is it?  Feel free to tell us why too.

For me, it's Chuck Rogers.  I've seen a lot of big name smith's work.  I've also owned one Rogers gun.  For me, his work stands out above all others.  The man is a true perfectionist, has impecable taste in the selection of his modifications, and is as humble as can be.  

As for my own gunsmithing aspirations, guys like him, Yost, Ned Christiansen, Richard Heinie, and Larry Vickers provide constant inspiration.  I'm very thankful to have so many 1911 smiths to look up to.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Dave Severns (Severns Custom) is my go to smith, he has earned my trust and his work is second to none. Dave worked over three of my Dan Wesson (two of them 10mm) I've had no problems whatsoever, they all run 100%

I consider Dave one of the best, but there are many very talented smiths you rarely hear about. Hobbs I believe one day you'll stand among the great 1911 smiths that inspired you.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a big Yost fan, but you all know that.

C.T. Brian is a great smith.

Chuck does great work.  He does melt the gun a little bit, but his attention to detail is what makes him such a good smith (and he is a GREAT machinist).

Christiansen is a little obbsessive.  His list is VERY long due to the innovative FLH and Conyamids that he came up with- cool beans.

Those are a few of my favorites among the living.  There are MANY more, but I don't have much time behind there tools, so I'll leave that for later.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Heinie....maybe having a Caspian in progress at his shop has something to do with it...but he's my fav.

www.heinie.com/images/1911gelbig.jpg

www.heinie.com/images/flutedfront1.jpg
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow! To keep from writing a thesis, and expounding on the virtues of so many true craftsman, and great friends, I will limit myself to three:

Chuck Rogers
Ned Christiansen
Stan Chen

The main reason is that, although some of us could easily pick their work out of a line up, they are formless. They have definite, distinctive styles, with no boundaries. Tune up? Cool. CCW piece? done? Duty work over? Handled. Limited space gun? Yeah, O.K.

Have I told you about one of the kindest? Don Williams. Most personable? John Harrison. Funniest? CT Brian. Most aware of his duty? Ted Yost.

Vickers. Heinie. Liebenberg.

That is really the beauty of it all, look at the total body of work of each individual, then the group as a whole. The craft. The movement. The molders of steel. The metal artisans. Those that give everything that they have on each piece persuing perfection, just to try to elevate during the next. They are giving themselves to us, to their craft for less than we pay our auto mechanics per hour. Are you kiddin' me?

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:56:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I only have experience with one who was a competent smith.   Greg Ferris out of Bulverde TX.   I was able to locate him recently with the help of the TX hometown forum.  Havent seen him in about 11 years but he did great work on my old SA.   I tried a local gun hacker recently and regretted it.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't go telling everyone, but I heard that C.T. Brian guy trailers his Harleys.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]
OOOhh, I'm tellin'...

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Wilson, Yo-Bo, Novak, Rogers and BCP.  All of them do excellent work, attention to detail and overall customer satisfaction.  

They should make a show (like Biker Build Off) where custom smiths "feed" off each other building awesome custom 1911's (I didn't want to say compete because that would just take some of the soul away from this true art form).
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#10]
And he likes the VZ's too.....[The Nutty Professor]That's the only 1911 that ever made me moist![/The Nutty Professor]

www.heinie.com/images/p1911bg.jpg
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Jaime del Valle would be my first choice(little biased being that I apprenticed under him) Vickers is always cool when I'm asking him questions and is great about giving tips. All the Rogers stuff I've seen has been great. I put myself down towards the bottom of the list. I only use me for work because it's cheap
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh wow!
I don't know where to start........
There are more superb 1911 smiffs now than ever before.
That which was considered 'perfect' 10 nyears ago.....is now obosolete.
Yost
Rodgers
Chen
Harrison
Williams
Heinie
well, thats the 'short' of it.

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm pretty fond of Virgil Tripp.  He's very knowledgeable and experienced but still affordable.  And his turn-around is usually weeks or months rather than years.

Here are a few photos of the last gun he built for me.  It's a .45ACP with all good parts.  I have since changed out the grips for a pair of VZ's.  Guess I had better update the picture!

The gun has been flawless with a variety of magazines and ammunition.  Should I admit that I feed it a fairly steady diet of WOLF ball?

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I would have to say John Jardine.  www.jardinescustom.com/
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#16]
+1 for Yost. I had an enchanced Govt model lightly customized by him in 1994. I have had some smaller jobs done by Yost as well. He has never sold me crap I did not need. You wont be disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My Favorite Smith is a fledgling relatively unknown smith who does some great work.
hobbs5624............... is what he goes by.

Seriously, I'd like to see some of YOUR work Hobbs!
I'd love to have a gun by any of the smiths mentioned so far.
I also really like the looks of Dave Sams' work.

Rich
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:07:08 PM EDT
[#18]
More . . . .

George Smith and crew at Evolution Gun Works.

Dave Dawson

Benny Hill

Dan Bedell

Bob Londrigan (Brazos Custom)

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My Favorite Smith is a fledgling relatively unknown smith who does some great work.
hobbs5624............... is what he goes by.

Seriously, I'd like to see some of YOUR work Hobbs!
I'd love to have a gun by any of the smiths mentioned so far.
I also really like the looks of Dave Sams' work.

Rich

Have to say that I'd be interested in seeing some myself!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I'll show all you suckers his work when I get my full house Series 70 back from him!

+1000000 for Hobbs, and he's a great guy too.

I'm glad I got my gun in early because when he starts doing this full time his wait list is going to rival the big names listed above.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I like many pistolsmiths out there but here are my favorites..

Bob Rodgers
Chuck Rogers
both of which I've have first hand experience with both my 1911s

Stan Chen
Ted Yost
Colton Bagnoli
Hilton Yam
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I like Don Williams at the Action Works!  Outstanding guns.

A super guy to deal with as well.  JD
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Never heard of Coltn Bagnoli before, so I did a search.  How many pistolsmiths does Yost Bonitz have, for Christ sake?  They all appear to do great work, so I have to ask, is there something in the water over there in Tempe?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Never heard of Coltn Bagnoli before, so I did a search.  How many pistolsmiths does Yost Bonitz have, for Christ sake?  They all appear to do great work, so I have to ask, is there something in the water over there in Tempe?

I am inclined to think there is something in the water.

Ted Yost-I was surprised to learn that he considers himself a rifleman before a pistol shooter or builder.
Lew Bonitz-He builds the rifles and operates the CNC.
Colton Bagnoli-The junior pistol guy. He builds mostly 1*s. He built my brothers Springer.
Steve-Part time. He built my Commercial.
Ray Harms-Don't know much about Ray, sorry.
Tim Cronon-Riflesmith.
Jason Burton-He's the operations manager who also runs a file and Foredom.

Not all of them are full time though. Jason, edit this if I'm wrong about anything
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#25]
IF I had the Cash, Larry Vickers
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
IF I had the Cash and the time, Larry Vickers

Is he even taking work anymore?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I like Don Williams at the Action Works!  Outstanding guns.

A super guy to deal with as well.  JD

I have a Colt LW Commander at Don's right now.  I can definitely say he is a super guy to deal with- he called me on his dime the day he got the gun to firm some things up, and sure made it seem like the most important thing  on his plate that day was making sure he knew EXACTLY how I wanted my gun built.  I've dealt with several 'smiths who either tried to convince me to do it their way or flat refused to build me anything but one of their 'packages', but Don made it clear that his one goal is to make sure I'm happy with my gun.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#28]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
I like Don Williams at the Action Works! Outstanding guns.

A super guy to deal with as well. JD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Colt LW Commander at Don's right now. I can definitely say he is a super guy to deal with- he called me on his dime the day he got the gun to firm some things up, and sure made it seem like the most important thing on his plate that day was making sure he knew EXACTLY how I wanted my gun built. I've dealt with several 'smiths who either tried to convince me to do it their way or flat refused to build me anything but one of their 'packages', but Don made it clear that his one goal is to make sure I'm happy with my gun.

Yes, he is truly a nice guy concerned about the quality of his work and most importantly, you actually feel like acustomer when you work with Don.

I have 3 of his 45s now and he is finishing a "retro" 1911 5" (Swenson look alike - I screwed up and sold my Swenson Govt Model and Commander a couple of years ago) for me now.  Can't wait to get it.   JD
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Bob Rodgers, and Chuck Rogers respectively. They can be found at:

http://www.rodgerspistolsmithing.com/

http://www.rogersprecision.com/

They do EXCELLENT work in a timely fashion......
I have had well over 4K through this pistol, and it has perfprmed 100%.

Sean
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Sean

Sean,

Who's light rail is that?  Caspian?

Any problems with your ACT-MAG's?  I had three or four of them and they all cracked along the feed lips.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:54:06 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sean

Sean,

Any problems with your ACT-MAG's?  I had three or four of them and they all cracked along the feed lips.

Dawson Precision!  

Sean,

If you EVER need or have the need to get rid of that pistol, contact me!  That is a truly a fine fighting pistol, and I am all about instant gratification!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:47:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sean

Sean,

Yep,
It is a Dawson Precsion Light rail. The mags are Wilsons, and I have a whole bunch that I use, and have never had a problem with any of them. They have all been great!
GunGuy1911,
This baby goes with me almost everywhere :-) I will be holding onto my prized possesion for a long, long time

Happy New Year,
Sean
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#33]

These mags here are the ones I'm asking about.  These look to me like Italian magazines by the numbering along the witness holes.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/Irish317/seanleftside6.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/Irish317/seanlightrail5.jpg

These mags here are the ones I'm asking about.  These look to me like Italian magazines by the numbering along the witness holes.  

Those mags belong to Bob Rodgers.....He took the pics!

Thanks,
Sean
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm kind of fond of Novak's shop.  They seem to do very good work and it's usually on a quick turnaround.

Well, at least each time I have sent something in it has been quick.

I haven't had them do anything truely custom, but they do excellent work on the mundane stuff.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:35:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Hobbs

The only thing I like better than a 1911 is a custom 1911.  Do you have a web page with examples of your work.  Is there a certain style (old school, carry,colt only,  etc) that is your focus?  I see that you post all of the time, often with helpful hints for the non-smith crowd and would love to send you some work.  I am intrigued because of the sterling recommendations made on this board--let me know.

thanks

big-a
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I've had two 1911's built by Karl Sokol at Chestnut Mountain Sports and several revolvers ( you know the guns with the turny thing in the middle.. haha) and he will build you a gun that is 100% reliable at a fair price...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top