Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 3:06:27 AM EDT
OK I bought this gun while out Christmas shopping for my kids. I "Accidentally" stumbled into the gun shop and saw it used for $200. I laid the money down and bought 2 extra mags.

I got it home and noticed a little rust in places. Also it will not cycle HP's or even the regular round nosed rounds. Also only 1 of the mags will drop free. It is labeled Colt .45 Auto on the bottom plate of the mag. The other 2 have to be pried out with fingers.

What can I do to fix this weapon. I do not plan to use it for PD I just want a .45 plinker/project weapon. I thought if I polised the feed ramp or whatever you call it, this would solve the issue with the rounds not chambering.

Or is it the mags causing this issue. This is my first 1911 type pistol so I am completly new. I was able to disassemble it. Is the spring supposed to be jammed into the gun with out a guide rod. That was the way I found it once it was disassembled.

If anyone has any links on how to clean, tweak,repair, this weapon I would be greatfull. I know this is not a very good gun but it is just a project gun for me. I want to get it in working order so it will be reliable at the range only. I repeat this will never be a personal defense weapon.

I will be getting a Kimber once I save up the money for it so hopefully this gun will ready me for the better weapon to come. At leats if I break anything I will not be out alot of money. Please give info to a newb.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:18:46 AM EDT
[#1]
While I'm no expert on these pistols, I have a little bit of experience with them.

On the subject of the magazines- there's a good chance you have standard 1911 magazines. These will not work with the Llama pistols; Llama uses a proprietary design on the mags, you'll need factory mags or or replacements made specifically for that pistol.

Same way for grips(and most other aftermarket accessories from what I understand), you'll need ones designed specifically for the Llama.

A quick google search for "1911 field stripping" should give you a better guide than I can type out here- the Llama tears down the same fashion as a USGI 1911.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:01:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response 53vortec. I negelected to list the model # its a IX-B. I saw factory mags for it and they are damn expensive.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Come on guys help a brother out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes the round just slams into the feed ramp. Other times it gets stuck at an upward angle and if i give it a nudge it cycles. I have cycled whole 7 round mags without problems but not often.

I have yet to fire this weapon and do not know if it will cycle better when it is fired?? Would it help if the spring had a guide rod in it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Damm. With all this negitive Llama talk, I feel kinda bad even mentioning mine!
I have a LLAMA MAX-1 45 C/F. It's a two tone with a nickle frame and a blue slide.
It does take Govt. magazines and they do drop free. The Govt. mag. in it now is MFR. 1M291 marked.
It loads and cycles round nose,hollow point and semi-wadcutters. It has black semi-soft rubber grips and it feels good and doesn't slip in your hand. I've fired it some, but never done a range test to chech on point of inpact verses sight.
I carry a SIG 220. I wouldn't carry the most expensive 1911 in the world!. I don't like carring a semi-auto that is cocked.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#8]
They're not all bad guns. I had a commander sized one. It was rough, but it ran. Mine took regular 1911 mags, btw, just fine.

My buddy has 2 and both are reliable and always have been.

Yours sounds like magazine problems.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They're not all bad guns. I had a commander sized one. It was rough, but it ran. Mine took regular 1911 mags, btw, just fine.

My buddy has 2 and both are reliable and always have been.

Yours sounds like magazine problems.

I thought it was the mags too. The factory ones claim to work the best. I polished the feed ramp with flitz and it seemed to help a bit. I am going to polish it up some more and see what that may do.

I will probably keep this pistol and continue to tinker with it. I have a reliable pistol in my G17 so no worries. I will probably go to the rang on Thursday and see if/how it fires. Is this thing safe to fire without a guide rod in the spring.

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:52:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Llama has made a few .45 caliber 1911 clones, some models will interchange mags while others will not.  This link should provide some more insight. I didn't want to say it in my, but I'd drop this pistol in favor of a closer to spec 1911, such as a Springfield GI or a Rock Island. That said, if you want it as a project, go forth!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Just shoot it.

There is a big difference in hand cycling it and how it works when firing.

No need for a full length guide rod unless that is what you want. personal preference only.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#12]
no questions asked lifetime warranty. Call Reynersons gun shop in Baton Rouge.  Google it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Just shoot it.

No need for a full length guide rod unless that is what you want. personal preference only.

+1.

Also make sure it is chamber for 45acp, should say on the barrel. I test fired a used 40 S&W Llama "1911" that came into the shop used. Stove pipe machine!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:35:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just shoot it.

+1.

Also make sure it is chamber for 45acp, should say on the barrel. I test fired a used 40 S&W Llama "1911" that came into the shop used. Stove pipe machine!

There is a difference between 45acp and regular 45? I bought a value pack of winchester 250 grain from Walmart I am not sure if this stuff is ACP or regular. i do not even know what ACP stands for.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:37:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Automatic Colt Pistol.  It should be 230 grain stuff too.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:45:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:47:37 AM EDT
[#17]
So let me get this straight, I do not need a guide rod for the gun to function properly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:53:12 AM EDT
[#18]
The gun is set up to work just the way you purchased it.  Don't bother to "invest" your hard earned cash into it, it's a "throw down gun".  Llama 1911's are okay, if your firing GI ball....don't expect those HP's to work when you most need 'em to.
Good luck
Scott B
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:08:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Typo there on the 250 grain the ammo I purchased is in fact 230. I do not plan on ever defending my self with this weapon it is just something to work on/play with at the range. I would like it to function enough to fire it.

I know it is junk in some peoples eye's and everyone is intitled to their opinion. I still plan to keep it at least until I buy either a Springfield or a Kimber. Heck I may still keep it after buying a "Real" 1911.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:08:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks everyone for all your help.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just shoot it.

+1.

There is a difference between 45acp and regular 45? I bought a value pack of winchester 250 grain from Walmart I am not sure if this stuff is ACP or regular. i do not even know what ACP stands for.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse you. Llamma come in different calibers, not all of their 1911's are in 45 aka 45acp.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:07:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
So let me get this straight, I do not need a guide rod for the gun to function properly.

No.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#23]
I agree, been there done that.....learned
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:21:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I agree, been there done that.....learned.....Dump it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top