Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 12:38:41 PM EDT
i just bought a springfeild 1911A1 GI 45 *new*. i will pick it up as soon as my paper work gets back.

i was reading through some of the topics here and someone mentioned that some spiringfeilds were/are made in Brazil, is this true? if so please tell me that the SA 1911A1 GIs aren't one of them, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Your frame and slide are probably from Brazil. IIRC final assembly is still in the US. Look at the bottom of your dust cover--if its Brazilian it will say "Imbel-Brazil" or something similar.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
self edit
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Dude, I don't care where my Springfield was made.  It's a damn fine weapon and will run with the best of them.  Well, maybe not the best, but any other $600 1911.  Good value, well built and a sweet shooter.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:18:34 PM EDT
[#4]
i'm not saying that its not a good gun/shooter just that i wasn't aware they came from brazil, caught me off guard. just ranting/venting *one of those days*, i got a good deal on the 1911 and being new to 1911's and handguns all together i figured a SA GI 45 would be a good place to start/learn.

thanks
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
It should be stamped IMBEL either under the dust cover or on the frame under one of the grip panels.

IMBEL makes these guns in Brazil for SA, who imports them and puts the finishing touches on them.

AFAIK, the only guns that SA makes in-house are the PRO guns.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]
My understanding is that NM prefix frames are US made as well.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#7]
All Springfield guns are assembled in the USA. All forged frames and slides are forged in Brazil.

If your gun doesn't have the NM prefix, the forgings (frame and slide) were machined complete enough to need a serial number upon importation. Anything that is with in 20% of being ready for assembly, must have a serial number as it's considered a firearm.

If you have a NM prefix gun, it means that the frame and slide were not complete enough to require a serial number upon importation, and Springfield did the final machining.

IMBEL does great work, as does Springfield and it would not affect a purchase IMO.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
All Springfield guns are assembled in the USA. All forged frames and slides are forged in Brazil.

If your gun doesn't have the NM prefix, the forgings (frame and slide) were machined complete enough to need a serial number upon importation. Anything that is with in 20% of being ready for assembly, must have a serial number as it's considered a firearm.

If you have a NM prefix gun, it means that the frame and slide were not complete enough to require a serial number upon importation, and Springfield did the final machining.

IMBEL does great work, as does Springfield and it would not affect a purchase IMO.

+1

Ask an FBI SWAT agent whether or not he cares if his gun is made in Brazil.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...Brazil, is this true? if so please tell me that the SA 1911A1 GIs aren't one of them, thanks.

Have no fear.  IMBEL isn't some little 3rd world machine shop churning out cheap crap, it's Brazil's main producer of military arms.  Ever hear of the FAL?  Imbel is one of several companies around the world originally licensed by FN to produce them, arguably the finest battle rifle ever made.

Imbel Rifles
Imbel Pistols
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#10]
 Yup....I'd easily go with Imbel slides and frames for build up guns if I could just get ahold of the frame and slide only.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...Brazil, is this true? if so please tell me that the SA 1911A1 GIs aren't one of them, thanks.

Have no fear.  IMBEL isn't some little 3rd world machine shop churning out cheap crap, it's Brazil's main producer of military arms.  Ever hear of the FAL?  Imbel is one of several companies around the world originally licensed by FN to produce them, arguably the finest battle rifle ever made.

Imbel Rifles
Imbel Pistols

Imbel also manufactured the receiver for the Springfield Armory SAR48 in the late 80s and early 90s, a FN/FAL clone.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got the same gun you ordered. Mine is marked "IMBEL" under the dust cover. It doesn't stand out. You won't be dissapointed, it's a quality product.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]
IMBEL BRAZIL on my dust cover.  Champion  model. Never noticed it before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top