Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2005 3:54:29 PM EDT
Anyone have one of these 1911's?

I recently purchased a Kimber Warrior and am getting the 1911 itch. I am debating on the Unertl, Wilson CQB, Springfield Operator, or an Ed Brown.

Before I make my decision, I would like to know more about this Unertl pistol.

Unertl
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks pretty nice. I'm not a fan of the Caspian frame though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Over 2 grand and only a 5 yr warranty???? I'd go wilson if I had that money to spend....
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#3]
doesn't wilson use caspian frames?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#4]
If you've got that sort of cheese to drop on a 1911 do yourself a favor and check out the "custom pistols" forum here

you could send a $500-$700 stock 1911 off to some of the smiths there and get back a sidearm that would blow away any of the options you listed and probably save you a few hundred too. Unertl is known for robust quality didn't they just have a change in ownership recently?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yup. The extremely cheap (price wise) Caspian Recon Receiver is used for the railed Wilson. They must have to do alot of fitting to get the Caspian frame to cost more than a forging.

ETA: I think it's only the railed CQB that uses a Caspian frame. I'm not sure on that though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. The extremely cheap (price wise) Caspian Recon Receiver is used for the railed Wilson. They must have to do alot of fitting to get the Caspian frame to cost more than a forging.

ETA: I think it's only the railed CQB that uses a Caspian frame. I'm not sure on that though.

That's correct, the "standard" CQB uses Wilson's own frame, which is forged.  For what it's worth, I've heard that the forged Caspians are pretty good frames.  But I would feel kind of cheated if I had gotten the caspian one passed off to me at the price too.  I'm not much of a fan of hanging flashlights on pistols though, so I couldn't care less for rails or this whole flashlight craze.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#7]
The Caspian frames are cast, but they are still reguarded as being of very high quality. I like railed 1911's, but then again I like almost all of them.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Great looking pistol, and I considered getting one myself.
But just to pricey for what they are offering.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#9]
If I had 2 grand to drop on a 1911 now, I would take a hard look at Nighthawk Custom:

www.nighthawkcustom.com

They'll build you one to your specs.  Every review I've seen for their pistolas have been positive.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#10]
When I first posted this thread I had 4 choices. Now they are endless.

The rail is not a deal breaker for me. My recently purchased Warrior is going to be getting some upgrades and the MIM parts are going to be the first on the list. So, I think that the railed 1911 will be covered.

The Unertl is just that unusual got to have pistol for me. The non existent barrel bushing is also an eye catcher. Any pros or cons about the barrel arrangement. Is accuracy or reliability improved due to this?

I will have to add the NightHawK 1911 to my list.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually find it interesting that even Unertl has confused the MEU(SOC) with the DET1 pistol.  The real MEU(SOC) does not have a rail, nor does it use a bull barrel nor external extractor.  Not to say the bull barrel isn't a neat feature when combined with a reverse plug and standard guide rod, but its certainly not what the MEU(SOC) has.  

The Unertl is a strange bird.  It looks very much like somebody just went to the Caspian web site and started ordering from the list of options.  Take a look at the checkering.  It isn't hand cut.  Its the same pattern that you can order built into the frame from Caspian.  Same holds true of the extractor cut and the forward cocking serrations.  

That isn't to say its a bad gun.  Its just that some shortcuts have been taken.  For about $1200 you can get all the parts to build this gun.  For about another $800, you can send those parts off to a top name 'smith to have it built.  The end result will be largely identical, but you would have more control over the content and finish.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:15:00 PM EDT
[#12]

The real MEU(SOC) does not have a rail

IIRC the dawson rail is frequently attached to the dust cover on them. You are right that Unertl has applied the term to pistol clearly designed for the newer solicitation for an integrated rail frame though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:29:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Unertl has a long-standing relationship with the USMC, I'm sure that gets them some leeway.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I looked into the Unertl---it just didn't work for me.  I don't care for bull barrels, FLGRs and adjustable sights. I have the warrior--love it, although it is az having all of it's MIM parts replaced.  I have the MC operator---it is in ill getting warranty work---shoots low needs new front post.  haven't shot it enough to have an opinion.  looked at the wilson and the ed brown and went with the SA Professional---you can't go wrong with this pistol and I believe it is cheaper than the unertl.  plus, unbeatable warranty and customer service.  I almost bought a rail version yesterday, but I have a few customs coming home soon and need to pay for those first---it is tough being a 1911 addict
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:32:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I looked into the Unertl---it just didn't work for me.  I don't care for bull barrels, FLGRs and adjustable sights. I have the warrior--love it, although it is az having all of it's MIM parts replaced.  I have the MC operator---it is in ill getting warranty work---shoots low needs new front post.  haven't shot it enough to have an opinion.  looked at the wilson and the ed brown and went with the SA Professional---you can't go wrong with this pistol and I believe it is cheaper than the unertl.  plus, unbeatable warranty and customer service.  I almost bought a rail version yesterday, but I have a few customs coming home soon and need to pay for those first---it is tough being a 1911 addict

From the pics on the Unertl site, it does have a bull barrel, but not a FLGR.  That means a reverse plug and standard guide rod.  That's a pretty decent combination, but not what the MEU(SOC) has.  

The issue of the Springer shooting low seems to be pretty common.  I didn't want to bother with shipping so I just bought a new front sight for $38 from Ameriglow.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#17]
If I was gonna spend $2800 on a 1911 I'd be getting a SA Professional and an ass-load of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If I was gonna spend $2800 on a 1911 I'd be getting a SA Professional and an ass-load of ammo.

Not a bad plan.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a bad plan.

Send a Colt series 70 to Novak and get the FBI package.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn...I thought that everyone would be all for one or the other pistols that I had mentioned. I never thought that the majority would go for a standard 1911, so to speak.

I do not currently own any customized pistols and have really never thought of getting a customized pistol, besides a BHP. And the only reason for thinking about customizing a BHP is due to the fact that there are not many HP manufacturers.

I am now rethinking everything. Those custom 1911's may be the way to go. Quality parts and in the configuration that I want.

What would be a decent base pistol for a customized build? I heard the Springfield Professional and Colt Series70, are there any others? Would the a Series80 style pistol be a good start, I think the difference is the internal safety, right? Who would I get to build it? Novak is the only place that I know of, is there other builders that could do it and how would I get in touch with them?

Thanks for your assistance
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#21]
$2800? I'll pass.
For that cash you can buy a Warrior & a Grand Raptor!
Or just a Warrior and a boatload of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Who would I get to build it? Novak is the only place that I know of, is there other builders that could do it and how would I get in touch with them?

Check my first post, follow that link. Stick a thread in the "custom pistol" forum detailing what you are looking to do. Also, check out the threads in that forum that have pictures of custom work in them to get an idea of which way you might want to go. Some of the top 1911 smith's in the Country are on that board. If you decide to go non-custom, look at the SA TRP Light Rail Armory Kote model # PC9105L - I've handled a few of them and they are almost perfect at a $1000 less than some of the pieces you mentioned. Send it to one of the LTW guys for a reliability/trigger job and you'll be ahead of the game.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:21:27 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who would I get to build it? Novak is the only place that I know of, is there other builders that could do it and how would I get in touch with them?

Check my first post, follow that link. Stick a thread in the "custom pistol" forum detailing what you are looking to do. Also, check out the threads in that forum that have pictures of custom work in them to get an idea of which way you might want to go. Some of the top 1911 smith's in the Country are on that board. If you decide to go non-custom, look at the SA TRP Light Rail Armory Kote model # PC9105L - I've handled a few of them and they are almost perfect at a $1000 less than some of the pieces you mentioned. Send it to one of the LTW guys for a reliability/trigger job and you'll be ahead of the game.

PBIR,
thanks for your responses. I am currently browsing the pics on the LTW board to get some ideas. I am now looking to have my Warrior updated also to replace the MIM parts and maybe even some front strap checkering. So I may be sending 2 pistols out to get customized as soon as the funds are available.

I think that a SA would be a great base pistol to start a full custom on, and am going to handle a few this weekend to see which one I like best.

Hopefully I will win some money during my trip to Vegas at the end of the month

Paul
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got one, it's to be THE family heirloom.
I like everything about it; although I'm not a 1911 nut this one is the last pistol that I intend to purchase.
M
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top