Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 11:21:34 PM EDT
I've noticed alot of guys locally having issues with their handloads.  Usually it's an issue of the case being expanded too much and just not fitting in the chamber.  

I started handloading in 1992 on a dillon 550 and had the same issues.   I was advised to try the lee factory crimp die ( yes a lee die in a dillon )   Anyhew, for those unfamiliar it has a sizing ring that sizes the LOADED round on the last station.   Since then I've had not one single round that wouldnt chamber.    Buy one, they're cheap and it's nice to know they'll always be right.  

A guy at a local pit the other day got me thinking about this as he was complaining that his Kimber wouldnt eat his reloads.   A bunch were oversized and he was smacking the rear of the slide to get it to close.    I'd rather shoot than clear malfunctions myself.  

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, the factory crimp die does work. Not all of Lee's products are great but some works damn good and their dies are good despite what some here may say.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:10:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if I get a better deal for going right to the Lee store.  I live about 5 miles away.  

I don't usually use Lee dies, but I have used things like their taper crimp dies at times.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The Lee factory Crimp Die solved my bulging .452 SWC reloading issues.
Have a Dillon 650 inbound, and the Lee Die will be in-place if the Dillon crimper doesn't do what it's supposed to .
Too bad they don't use a heavier steel. Mine feels like it's some light alloy,not like the heavy-duty  steel Hornady's I use for .45.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#4]
When I was using a single stage press for reloading 45ACP ( Thank ALMIGHTY GOD that those days are gone), I discovered that trying to seat the bullet and taper crimp it at the same time would result in rounds that would not feed. I began seating the bullets and then resetting the die for taper crimping and the problem went away.
I bought a Dillon550B ( THANK YOU GOD!!). I am still using the same die set as before, but I made a die just for seating the bullet and use the factory seating/taper die in the final position strictly as a taper die. (no seating ram installed). Now I can crank out 400 or so rounds an hour that feed like factory ammo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a separate taper crimp die as the last station and have experienced no feeding issues with my reloads.  I also take the time to run a sampling of the loaded rounds through a Midway case guage to make sure they are not out of spec for length or width.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:27:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I switched from a Lee to a Dillon Square Deal and am quite happyt with it. The Dillon works much better and puts a better crimp on the bullet. Havnt tried the Factory crimp  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
How does the Lee factory crimp die differ from the Hornady taper crimp die (which is what I currently use)?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How does the Lee factory crimp die differ from the Hornady taper crimp die (which is what I currently use)?

Haven't used the Hornady, but I'm guessing it doesn't size the case the full length.  The Lee factory crimp die (the only Lee product worth buying IMO) actually crimps the case AND sizes it the full length.  I no longer reload handgun ammo without one.  They are a great piece of equipment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haven't used the Hornady, but I'm guessing it doesn't size the case the full length.  The Lee factory crimp die (the only Lee product worth buying IMO) actually crimps the case AND sizes it the full length.  I no longer reload handgun ammo without one.  They are a great piece of equipment.

Exactly, best $15 I ever spent on reloading.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly, best $15 I ever spent on reloading.

Thanks, looks like I'll have to replace my Hornady taper crimp die with a Lee factory crimp die for my .45 ACP loads on my Dillon RL-550B press.  I get about 20 per 1000 which are not sized correctly after going through the 4 stations, and it sounds as if the Lee factory crimp die is just what I need to remedy that.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:18:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I never had any problems with the older style Dillon 45ACP dies on my 550B.   I also use the Dillon cartridge gauge and run each reloaded round thru the gauge to make sure they fit the gauge and if they dont I demill them and salvage the components.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:28:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I never had any problems with the older style Dillon 45ACP dies on my 550B.   I also use the Dillon cartridge gauge and run each reloaded round thru the gauge to make sure they fit the gauge and if they dont I demill them and salvage the components.  

The factory crimp die will eliminate the need to run them through the case gauge and will ensure they all fit.    You only need a visual inspection for any obvious problems like split or rolled case mouths.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I also test each and every .45 ACP round which comes from the Dillon RL-550B press in a case gage, but with the Hornady taper crimp die I have been using, there are still a few which do not fit in the case gage because they seem to be bulged near the base.  I think the Lee factory crimp die will solve this problem for me, but I will still run each and every loaded .45 ACP round through the case gage before firing through some of my expensive weapons (e.g. West Hurley 1928 Thompson, Springfield Operator pistol).
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a 650 and have loaded tens of thousands of .45acp with Dillon dies.  Never a problem, not even in my AR/Oly.  FMJ, lead, or plated.

However, with Winchester cases and 9mm, I have repetitive jams on the AR/Oly 9mm on the feed ramp with insufficient crimp.  This showed up with FMJs.  Every round that recedes, is a Winchester case.  

I didn't consider the crimp die, but I will bet that will solve this problem for me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:36:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I also test each and every .45 ACP round which comes from the Dillon RL-550B press in a case gage, but with the Hornady taper crimp die I have been using, there are still a few which do not fit in the case gage because they seem to be bulged near the base.  I think the Lee factory crimp die will solve this problem for me, but I will still run each and every loaded .45 ACP round through the case gage before firing through some of my expensive weapons (e.g. West Hurley 1928 Thompson, Springfield Operator pistol).

good job, I started that habit about 3 years ago and I preach the case gauge gospel every chance I get

I documented the process for using the case gauge on .223 to determine if it needs trimming too
www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=9&t=390270
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Midway.  $11.38.  Ordering now.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top