Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 2:26:07 PM EDT
I saw a few Hi-Cap Paras at the gun show. Felt nice in my hand. Anyone have experience with the Para Ordnance brand 1911s?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I had an S-13 Limited for awhile.  (stainless P-13 with all the goodies--ambi safety, match barrel, FLGR, and adjustable Bomar sights)

It wouldn't feed reliably until I replaced the mag springs with Wolff +10%.  I learned that weak mag springs is pretty much a ParaOrd trademark.

My extractor broke after about 500 rounds.  Easy fix, but it shouldn't have happened in my opinion.  

The pistol came with plastic trigger and main spring housing.  They worked fine, but I didn't feel like a gun that cost that much should have plastic parts....they got swapped for Wilson parts.  

Several cosmetic voids in the frame and slide--I don't know for sure, but they sure looked like cast, not forged.  (this was on one of Para's high end guns)

In my most honest opinion, they aren't bad guns....but I wasn't satisfied with mine.  I sold it and bought another single stack, this one a Springfield Loaded....I feel it's a better gun, and it cost about $200 less.  (but I only have 7 and 8 rd mags now)

As always, ymmv.  I'm sure there are people here who have different opinions than mine....but I can only go off my own experience.  If you go to M1911.org, they have a discussion forum dedicated to ParaOrd.  You might find more of the info you're looking for there.

Colt
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Love my P10.45  Would only sell it for a NightHawg

Waiting for PO to come out with a Single action hi-cap limited with a light rail.  This one I will buy without looking at the price.

Weak springs are a problem.  My advice is to def get the Wolff springs.

YMMV

D
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are going for a double wide, then the price is right for the shortcomings of the pistol (read you can get the pistol for less than a $1000, where as a STI is going to set you back around $1700).

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Para's aren't that bad, but I would not buy one as a primary pistol. IIRC, all Para's use cast frames and slides.

As for the new light rail model, it looks surprisingly similar to the Caspian Recon Rail frame. I've read about it (although that was awhile ago), but haven't heard anything about a single action, yet. It's a cool concept, but I don't think I'll ever own a double action 1911 or a 1911 with crucial parts made of plastic. YMMV though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:17:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a PXT single stack full size with like 3000 rounds through it that I've carried every day since pretty much when they came out (almost 2 years) 2 FTE's in the first 200 rounds, never a single stoppage after that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a couple, but my p16 limited single action .40 cal.  The only thing bad about it is that the finish they use on the frame is worn and gets rusty quick if you set it down and don't  run some kind of oil on it.  I think I am going to get the gun refinished, maybe duracoat.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a P13 and hated it.
I bought a Springfield doublestack and love it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Para's aren't that bad, but I would not buy one as a primary pistol. IIRC, all Para's use cast frames and slides.

I'm no Para fan, BUT don't be so quick to condemn them because they're cast frames.  Caspians are cast too.  

R
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had no problems with my p14.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm no Para fan, BUT don't be so quick to condemn them because they're cast frames.  Caspians are cast too.  

R

Para has had problems with pin hole locations and sizes. And they cast almost everything. Be prepared to replace a lot of parts--some guns work, some dont.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

R

Para has had problems with pin hole locations and sizes. And they cast almost everything. Be prepared to replace a lot of parts--some guns work, some dont.

Oh, I completely agree, and wouldn't own a Para.  My point was that if done right, casting is more than suitable.

R
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:55:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a P-14 45. Runs on any ammo I care to use and holds 4" at 25 yards with most brands.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

R

The casting alone is not what sways me away from Para. That was just a side note that I was mentioning.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:54:17 AM EDT
[#14]
My P1445 Limited has been flawless and is much better fit than my Colt
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:23:28 PM EDT
[#15]
The old school SA P14-45 is my bump-in-the-night side arm. Not a big fan of the LDA series. It eats anything it’s fed, and has been through Gunsite 3 times without a hitch. Not ideal for carry, however hard to beat as a sidearm for HD. Seriously looking at a Warthog. My carry sidearm is a Kimber Custom Compact CDP.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one of the older P14-45's that was made in 1998.I purchased it NIB from my local dealers closeout last year for $550.00.On top of that got two free hi-caps from Para with the rebate.Smokin deal if I say so myself.
I have replaced the slide stop due to the fact the slide stop pin was way undersized,which I replaced with a Wilson Bullet proof.
And the plastic mag catch with an Ed Brown unit.Reason for changing that part was I wanted steel.
The plastic trigger and MSH does not bother me at all.Something less to rust.
The pistol has been a top performer with any ammo I feed it including Wolf.
I have put a couple thousand rounds through it plinking and in 3-gun fun.Not a single issue.Its one of the most reliable pistols I have owned in my life.
I plan to buy a LTC next month...which will be my CCW.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:55:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I love Paras. I use to have an alloy framed P-14. Only problem with it was my fault, I lost the firing pin release when I took it apart and didn't realize it. I also had a P-10. It was also a great gun, but a bit small for me. My only Para now is an old conversion kit one. It was built into a race gun with a colt slide, then later converted to a carry gun. It's a bit big and heavy, but 100% reliable. I'd love to get a P-13 or maybe a P-12.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top