Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 8:00:27 PM EDT
I am in the market for a 1911 and I would like to hear your opinion.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Just don't get a Kimber with an external extractor.

Otherwise, choose the one that looks the best. They are functionally very similar.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Otherwise, choose the one that looks the best. They are functionally very similar.

Combat_Jack nailed it.

they had to go and mess with a proven design

one of the benefits of the SA is they have a lifetime warranty. I know Kimber will stand behind there product as well, but they dont have it in writing.

BTW: I own 6 1911's 3 Kimbers and 3 SAs
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with the SA. They are both filled with MIM parts so there is no clear advantage there. However, the ILS locking system on the SA is much easier to remove/disable than the Series II block on the Kimber. SA uses the correct type of extractor while Kimber has an external one.

The best deal right now is to pick up a SA WW2 GI or Mil-spec model and add/replace parts to your liking or use it as a base for a custom pistol. Or, you could just leave it as is as they are quit good stock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#5]
What is your price range?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep an eye on gunbroker. I've seen some nice SA's sell for way under the typical price.

I just bought a new Milspec for $419 shipped. (won on gunbroker)

I've seen a number of loaded models sell for under $600.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Go with the SA. They are both filled with MIM parts so there is no clear advantage there. However, the ILS locking system on the SA is much easier to remove/disable than the Series II block on the Kimber. SA uses the correct type of extractor while Kimber has an external one.

The best deal right now is to pick up a SA WW2 GI or Mil-spec model and add/replace parts to your liking or use it as a base for a custom pistol. Or, you could just leave it as is as they are quit good stock.

dang, I forgot about the series 80 and ILS... another +1 for SA
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Smith & Wesson.

Better than both, IMHO.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:50:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Combat_Jack nailed it.

they had to go and mess with a proven design

one of the benefits of the SA is they have a lifetime warranty. I know Kimber will stand behind there product as well, but they dont have it in writing.

BTW: I own 6 1911's 3 Kimbers and 3 SAs

+1 here although I've got 5 Colts and a Kimber (w/internal extractor)

You're welcome!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top