Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 7:00:19 PM EDT
I have heard that it's a bad idea to install these.  For tactical / quick draw type situations.   Feedback would be appreciated.
thanks
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Grip panels with finger groves?  I can't see where your fingers are on the grip panels that much.  Mostly your palm is on the panels with your fingers wrapping around the front. (Thus is why some individuals like front checkering or stippling).  I have always persoanlly felt that a non smooth grip panel has seemed to be the best.  Somethign with checkering, scallops, lines, or the like.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Grip panels with finger groves?  I can't see where your fingers are on the grip panels that much.  Mostly your palm is on the panels with your fingers wrapping around the front. (Thus is why some individuals like front checkering or stippling).  I have always persoanlly felt that a non smooth grip panel has seemed to be the best.  Somethign with checkering, scallops, lines, or the like.

What i mean is instead of the front checkering......i have the rubber finger grooves.    They feel good to me, but I feel some what restricted from movement ...if you know what i mean.

In all i guess i just answered my own ?   Thanks for your feedback though.. I 'm just trying to decide on which pistol i want to take to Gunsight.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Ahhh, so you have a set of most likely rubber/plastic wrap around grips then.  If you ever feel restricted and can not be where you want to be, it's not a good thing.  So yes, you may have answered your own question.

Have a great time at Gunsite!  I'm green with envy.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ahhh, so you have a set of most likely rubber/plastic wrap around grips then.  If you ever feel restricted and can not be where you want to be, it's not a good thing.  So yes, you may have answered your own question.

Have a great time at Gunsite!  I'm green with envy.

Thanks...and yes i guess i did answer my own question.  I'm working on an Intership there where i would get 2 free classes.... I can't wait.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the guys at the gun shop I work at has a set of wrap-arounds, I think from Pachmeyer or Hogue, on his TLE.  They are pretty comfortable for range use, but I would not put them on any of my carry guns.  They add a lot of bulk to the grip, and do not make for a fast draw.  You're probably better off without them.  If you are concerned about traction, perhaps a set of VZs or some skateboard tape would give you what you needed.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:09:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
One of the guys at the gun shop I work at has a set of wrap-arounds, I think from Pachmeyer or Hogue, on his TLE.  They are pretty comfortable for range use, but I would not put them on any of my carry guns.  They add a lot of bulk to the grip, and do not make for a fast draw.  You're probably better off without them.  If you are concerned about traction, perhaps a set of VZs or some skateboard tape would give you what you needed.

I will keep that in mind....i can see the bulkyness for sure...

thanks...
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:26:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I have to say, I've had a set of hogue wrap around grooved grips on my colt gov't for 10 years. I shoot amazingly well with them.

I also have a Kimber with regular wood grips, no grooves. I shoot amazingly well with it.

The difference seems to be in the carry method:

For concealed carry, rubber grips are HORRIBLE. SMooth metal and wood grips are GOOD.

For Duty Carry, the rubber grips are GREAT. Don't have to worry about damaging, cracking, etc. They provide sure grip whether they're wet or dry.

I just replaced my Hogues with Pachmayr's American Legend Grips. Part rosewood looking wood, but with inlaid rubber grip w/ grooved wraparound. They look great and work fine. We'll see how they shoot soon.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:52:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I have Hogues on my Defender.With the proper holster they are fine and they actually do pretty good giving one decent control in dbl taps. I will say that they are grabby, I cannot see where they add much as far as concealing goes, but I am going to try to see if I can find a nice pair of checkered woodies for it and see how I like them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have to say, I've had a set of hogue wrap around grooved grips on my colt gov't for 10 years. I shoot amazingly well with them.

I also have a Kimber with regular wood grips, no grooves. I shoot amazingly well with it.

The difference seems to be in the carry method:

For concealed carry, rubber grips are HORRIBLE. SMooth metal and wood grips are GOOD.

For Duty Carry, the rubber grips are GREAT. Don't have to worry about damaging, cracking, etc. They provide sure grip whether they're wet or dry.

I just replaced my Hogues with Pachmayr's American Legend Grips. Part rosewood looking wood, but with inlaid rubber grip w/ grooved wraparound. They look great and work fine. We'll see how they shoot soon.

how much did the Pachmayr set you back.?...that sounds nice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#10]
$19.97 at Sportsman's Guide.

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=70713
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the Hogue palm-swell grips on my 1911. I have tried the finger groove Hogues but do not like them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#12]
It's really a personal preference thing.  I just hate having finger grooves; they don't feel right to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top