Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 3:10:38 PM EDT
i was just given a 1911 by my grandpa that i didnt even know he owned. its a old ww2 colt but i need to get a new slide for it.can anyone help me as to were i can get one? thanks alot for your help.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#2]
um lets just says its not really very legal tell i get a new slide for it. also why no picts tell i get the slide. thanks.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
How could it not be legal with the current slide?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
um lets just says its not really very legal tell i get a new slide for it. also why no picts tell i get the slide. thanks.

I have NO idea what you are talking about. Since the serial number is on the frame, and the FRAME is considered the SN part, one could put anything they wanted on the slide to include hyrogliphics and it would be legal. The only thing I could see is if they somehow converted it to F/A but that would still involve the frame and disco. Or worn parts, which would be easily fixed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:33:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you worried that the slide is marked "US PROPERTY"?  Don't be. There are thousands of them in civilian hands.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Are you worried that the slide is marked "US PROPERTY"?  Don't be. There are thousands of them in civilian hands.

Ditto, the govement sold off huge amounts of the 1911's to the open market (back when it was legal for the goverment to surplus firearms to the public, during the time that the M-9 replaced the 1911's as the standard sidearm).  There are hundreds of thousounds of 1911 marked US property and are all legal due to this event.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#8]
ok fine heres the story my grandfather gave me. It  supposedly has no serial numbers cause the guy he bought it from had took it home with him after he was discharged.  So my grandfather said he wont give me it tell i get a new slide for it. well hell ive never owned a 1911 just looked at them a little at  the gun stores and what not  so i really dont know anything about them. like were the SN and what not is.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
ok fine heres the story my grandfather gave me. It  supposedly has no serial numbers cause the guy he bought it from had took it home with him after he was discharged.  So my grandfather said he wont give me it tell i get a new slide for it. well hell ive never owned a 1911 just looked at them a little at  the gun stores and what not  so i really dont know anything about them. like were the SN and what not is.

SN is on the frame. You are good to go.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#10]
ya i just whent to brownells and saw that the SN is on the frame. Well he said the guy that liberated it from the army took the SN off so i guess i dont need a new slide but a new frame.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Colt made WW1 (maybe 2) slide that is serviceable, it needs ot be refinished and it has to be modified back to .45 (it is set up for 9mm right now) but it is yours if you want it, just make an offer to me for my 1886 fund
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
ya i just whent to brownells and saw that the SN is on the frame. Well he said the guy that liberated it from the army took the SN off so i guess i dont need a new slide but a new frame.

OK I can understand that. If it is an early ww2 Colt the original SN should be under the firing pin stop. [if it is original]  And yes, the frame is illegal.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#13]
ok i just talked to him again and i got a little more info. The gun is from WW1 and the guy he bought it from took off all the markings i guess. he said its amazing condition and looks like it sat in a safe its entire life. Well im going to AZ to pick it and some single action colts up next weekend see will see exactly what is up with this damn thing.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Caspian makes a good slide.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll trade you any slide you want for one of those single-action colts.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#16]
na i dont think so theres one of each colt model. bisby,birds head and classic. all with the short barrel. o ya not to mention the 1911.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top