Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2005 8:42:26 AM EDT
Hoping to find an answer to a chambering problem. I have a Service Model Ace that was manufactured in what I believe was the late '70's. I have had the gun since new, and have always seemed to have a problem with it chambering. The slide seems to fail, more often that not, to go into battery when chambering a round after firing. This has occurred with numerous brands of ammunition, all of which were high velocity, and with different magazines. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the floating chamber or not. It seems I read something a number of years ago that these guns were a little finiky, but I don't remember the details. Are there any lubrication tricks that might resolve the problem. I probably shouldn't even shoot it, since it is minty and in the original box, but it is too much to resist! Anyone have similar problems or solutions?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:11:32 PM EDT
[#1]
If the empty is ejecting OK then inspect the chamber where the FP would hit if one dry fired it without a cartridge. Wonder if there is a spot where metal has peened into the chamber a bit. Also try a light lubricant, and take a full mag and try to feed each cartridge into the chamber SAFELY, if it goes in easily ok if not see where its hitting or sticking. a small peen would slow down the slide enough to possibly contribute to a FTB. Also, try a few types of ammo, .22 guns are finicky and if you find a type and lot that works well and is accurate buy a bunch because the next lot might be completely different. Also see how tight the BBL bushing is, and the frame to slide fit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]
One thing that happens is if the recoil spring is weak the gun starts opening up before the bullet has left the chamber and into the barrel. Result: you get deposits of lead in the floating chamber recess which doesn't let the slide go fully into battery. Take the floating chamber out and see if you have a buildup of lead. If so try a heavier spring
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#3]
thank all of you for your replies...taking the gun to Colorado in a month and will have a lot of time to experiment..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top