Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 12:14:29 AM EDT
does anyone have any info on building a 1911 i have found a few on my own like an exploded view of a 1911 along with the part listing but im looking for something like what is available for building an ar like a pic that tell me what each part is and how it is to be installed etc etc .. please if anyone has any info i would greatly appreciate it
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Some of the parts/mfr's will have exploded views but I don't know of anyone that has a guide that tells how to assemble what in which order.

Assembling a 1911 is one thing, building a 1911 is another.  If you are tearing one down to clean it and re-assembling it, that isn't much of a problem.  If you want to build one from scratch it takes a LOT of time and some specialized tools.  Many new parts need to be fitted to each other, doing this requires files and stones to polish and mate surfaces.  Other parts require "tuning" like some of the springs and such.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I looked into this as well, a while back.
The general consensus is that building one from scratch is kind of a PITA.
Unless you're up to speed on gunsmithing, and have tools and stuff.

Most people agree to either do a AR from a parts kit or an AK from a parts kit for a first timer.
Sorry if I'm offpost here.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:43:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't do that if I were you unless you have access to a gunsmith shop and all the tools involved.

That being said you MUST have a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's "The Colt 45, A Shop Manual."  after looking through that I think you will get rid of any illusions about building a 1911.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll echo what FROST18E said -- If you are talking about building one from parts, you ought to have access to proper machines and tools.  In any event, the Kuhnhausen Shop Manual should be in everyone's library if they shoot 1911s.  It is a great resource.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out the Gunsmithing forum at www.1911forum.com

There's loads of info and pics.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]
well i do have a lot of tools and other stuff i was wanting get together all of the parts then when i goto va to live a friend of mine there has a shop and it is chock full of everything ill need... as for building something for a first timer ive already built my smd 65 still working on it though my AR shoots like a dream... looking back on them the AR was a pice of cake i can do it now with my eyes closed as for the ak DONT NOONE do a fold and weld that sucks big kahonas it does shoot nicely but still needs tuning... a 1911 is my next step i want a challenge cause im a gun nut ill sit and mess with one for hours hell it takes me 2 hours to clean my ar cause of the care and attention to detail i put into it and i want to do the same with a 1911 and besides my hipoint 40 is just to gaudy to carry it is a nice shooter but i want a carry pistol and what i want is a 1911 ... thankyou for the website 1911forum.com ill have to go check it out.... anyother info will be appreciated and thankyou all for helpfull feedback ill post pics of my ar and ak  either this weekend or sometime next week i just have to show them off
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Try Midway USA and find the AGI gunsmithing videos.  I purchased the "building an AR from a parts kit " video and it was very informative.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Sigh , You DON'T need  a shop full of tools to put one together.

You DO need a fair amount of knowledge and Skill to fit one together that is
safe and reliable.

Check out the recommended website , buy thr book , and PRACTICE reassembling on a factory
gun
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That being said you MUST have a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's "The Colt 45, A Shop Manual."  after looking through that I think you will get rid of any illusions about building a 1911.

+1 This is a great book.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top