Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 6:58:25 AM EDT
Let's assume the sights are visible (i.e. 3 dot or similar) and the trigger pull is decent.  

Let's also assume there are no internals that need to be replaced or other mechanical work such as bushing / barrel.

For me, it's a beavertail (or severely dehorned grip safety).

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got long, thin thumbs (think circus freak show!), so for me, the extended thumb safety is the most important.  
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Beavertail, definitely!  Hammer bite SUX!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Beavertail without a doubt.

The 1911 feels like a different gun without a properly fitted high rise beavertail.

I don't own nor would I shoot a 1911 without them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#5]
If I HAD to pic, it'd be bobbed hammer or a beavertail.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Ambi-Safety
I'm left handed
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd say the thumb safety, although I can't imagine not having a good beavertail.  For actual defensive/combat use, its more important to me to NOT miss the thumb safety.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Beavertail. Never did like the looks of a bobbed hammer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:38:27 AM EDT
[#10]
In a pinch, I can live without everything on the list of options.

But what I can't live without is a short trigger.

Try to buy a semi-custom 1911 these days with a short trigger. Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I have to have a flat main spring housing.  Everything else I can live with or without.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Dang, I really wouldn't want a 1911 without an arched MSH AND a beavertail.  The Beavertail is a comfort thing, and the MSH is an ergonomic thing.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#13]
After holding a 1911 with a flat MSH and beavertail grip safety, they are on my list of changes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:56:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ambi-Safety
I'm left handed

That and the beavertail.....I do like frontstrap checkering too.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:03:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Has to be a flat MSH... without this, all my muscle memory/instinctive pointing goes out the window. I can live without the others, though I would sure miss the beavertail.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#16]
With a nice beavertail and an arched MSH, I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:07:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Front strap checkering on a competition gun for sure.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:24:10 PM EDT
[#18]
If I had to pick out of your list, a flat mainspring housing (my number two concern) is a must. My number one needed item it a short trigger. A good grip safety comes in third.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
In a pinch, I can live without everything on the list of options.

But what I can't live without is a short trigger.

Try to buy a semi-custom 1911 these days with a short trigger. Good luck.

Me too......short trigger all the way. I like thin grips as well.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Well now that I see that there is a 1911forum here I am.

I voted for the bevertail - I have a high grip so it is important for me, but there are many more things too.

I put in the short trigger - not the long, because it puts my finger in exactly the right spot with the standard trigger I was occassionally pulling shots to the right because it was a stretch to get my finger where it needed to be. so the short trigger improved my accuracy while shooting fast.

Front strap - I use grip-tape, wouldn't do without it on the draw.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If I HAD to pic, it'd be bobbed hammer or a beavertail.

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:55:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I HATE flat MSH's.  I also hate long triggers.  As a matter of fact, I actually prefer the old "shelf" thumb safeties better than the commercial standard or extended ones.

The most important thing to me is that I have an arched MSH.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#23]
While I prefer the long trigger and flat mainspring housing the thing I really need is a checkered
front strap. It  may be imagined for me  but I can't shoot a 1911 right if it squirms around in my hand and the checking does it for me.
In the old days (mid-seventies when I started shooting) when there were few pistolsmiths doing it I used the Pachmayar grips with the covered front strap.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Without doubt the first thing I look at would be mainspring housing... I cannot abide the flat ones. Everything else being equal- barrel/bushing fit, safety tight- the one mod  I always wind up making is the GRIPS. Use a lot of Pachmeyers W/O the finger grooves or front covers... and lately I gotta admit, Ive gone to a pair of <choke> ivory. Talk about conspicious consumption in one's old age! I like the feel, I like the look, and I like to show off my Luger and my sweet Combat Commander!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I voted for the beavertail, as I hate how low (real or percieved) my hand sits in a standard grip safety.
I think if one were on a budget and wanted to get the best "bang for the buck", the mainspring housing would be the best bet. I prefer a flat housing, but that is one part that can really make a difference in pointability. I know that those used to an arched housing will have fits with a flat one.
Plus if you have a GI pistol, the beavertail requires filing of the frame, and that can be daunting for the novice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:35:48 PM EDT
[#26]
probably the hogue grip.

Comfy...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Ambi-Safety
I'm left handed

+1, with a good beavertail.  Nothing else is really as important to the ergonomics, aside from putting decent grips on there (I like the Pachmayr wraparound combat grips for most uses myself).  ETA: you want a ambi safety on a nightstand/combat gun because in the real world, you may have to shoot with either hand and you'll have to be just as good at using the weapon with your left or your right, due to injury or tactical conditions.  Not to mention if someone has to borrow your gun for some reason or other and they're a lefty.  For that matter, I like the idea of the gun being more symmetrical for some reason, I think it just looks better with controls on both sides.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top