Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2018 3:48:07 PM EDT
Figured I would mention there is a Larry Vickers custom built 1911 (Wilson Combat parts) for sale on GunBroker right now.

Larry Vickers 1911 on GunBroker

Might be the only chance to get one built by Larry.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats fugly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The 90’s.   Such a good time to be a SR/DA cat!
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I passed on one years and years ago, some guy falling on hard times who was clearing out his collection. Picked up a P7 PSP instead. Larry's stuff is worth a whole lot these days.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
$6900. Du fuck
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$6900. Du fuck
View Quote
I guess that is a NO?
Remember, quality and exclusivity is priceless.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:08:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thats fugly.
View Quote
Huh?  Other than the wag well looks like any plane Jain modern 1911.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m not getting it either. I guess it only takes one person that is willing to pay the price.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Bwa HAHAHAHA.

Sorry, I'd buy one of Jason Burtons masterpieces WAYYYYYY before an overpriced Vickers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Overpriced is very subjective.  Anyone can call Burton and get on the list to get a 1911 built.  LAV never built many and he's not doing more.  And you better keep saving past what that Vickers costs if you want a Heirloom Precision.

That Vickers is every bit on the level of a Wilson Supergrade, it's just not a tacky abortion of a pistol like most supergrades are because it built by a person with experience using and building hard use 1911s.  Not someone with more money than sense.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I guess that is a NO?
Remember, quality and exclusivity is priceless.
View Quote
Quality most definitely has a price.   Exclusivity, unfortunately, is joined at the hip to fashion.   Today's hot smiths can easily become tomorrow's unknowns.

I think it's probably a good time to be the seller.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thats fugly.
View Quote
Other than the grips and the stainless recoil spring plug, how is that fugly?
Looks no different than a customized SA Loaded model.

Vicker's can be kind of a dick, but he does know a 1911 and his builds are highly sought after. Well beyond my pay grade, but if I had Trump money, then I'd probably get it as he probably won't make anymore.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:00:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd buy that in a second.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 4:04:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Who cares?

Edit. $7,000
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:58:37 AM EDT
[#14]
People laughing at the price need to see what a full custom by Heirloom Precision, Combat Precision, Harrison, etc cost.

$3K Wilsons are range beaters.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
People laughing at the price need to see what a full custom by Heirloom Precision, Combat Precision, Harrison, etc cost.

$3K Wilsons are range beaters.
View Quote
No they are not, they just are not full customs built to the customers exact specs. "One offs" always cost more to make. Once you get to a certain dollar point, the returns are extremely diminishing.   Finish is where that last $$$$ goes to and I'm FAR more impressed with other custom builders then that particular Vickers 1911.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll stick with my Springfield Loadeds and buy ten thousand rounds instead
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Other than the grips and the stainless recoil spring plug, how is that fugly?
Looks no different than a customized SA Loaded model.

Vicker's can be kind of a dick, but he does know a 1911 and his builds are highly sought after. Well beyond my pay grade, but if I had Trump money, then I'd probably get it as he probably won't make anymore.
View Quote
Looks like a bead blasted forward serration cut one of ten million with fugly grips. What finish is that?
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Looks like a bead blasted forward serration cut one of ten million with fugly grips. What finish is that?
View Quote
One that was cheap as hell to do. You know, ''Tactical.''

Seriously, perfection in a firearms finish is extremely labor intensive, the modern day tradition of slapping ''tactical'' on a firearm and charging more is one of the biggest jokes in the industry. Even this tard can lay a bead blast down.

It's one of the reasons I like older firearms made in American manufacturing heyday, the final polish and finish was amazing, especially for ''production line'' guns.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:11:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Larry Vickers basically advertises for Wilson Combat (check out YouTube).  I've never heard anything great about his guns.  I know Bill Wilson's stuff and you could buy a WC Pinnacle for what they're asking for this plain Jane 1911.  Larry Vickers name is not synonymous with anything great other than he was an Operator like many other Special Forces soldiers.  I just had to say something based on the price asked.  This was ludicrous.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#20]
The reality is that at about $3,000 you can buy a custom gun from a lot of good builders built the way you want it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The reality is that at about $3,000 you can buy a custom gun from a lot of good builders built the way you want it.
View Quote
Real reality is that you can't buy any custom from any reputable builder for $3K.   A base Wilson is almost $3K.

Real one-off customs from Chris James, Yost, Rogers, Harrison, and the likes are usually North of $7K.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Larry Vickers basically advertises for Wilson Combat (check out YouTube).  I've never heard anything great about his guns.  I know Bill Wilson's stuff and you could buy a WC Pinnacle for what they're asking for this plain Jane 1911.  Larry Vickers name is not synonymous with anything great other than he was an Operator like many other Special Forces soldiers.  I just had to say something based on the price asked.  This was ludicrous.
View Quote
You  haven't been around the 1911 world for long or you haven't gotten around much.  LAV's 1911 armorer and operator courses are some of the best there is. He is a helluva 1911 plumber.

He doesn't basically advertise for Wilson.  They pay him to put his name on their stuff.

I'm far from a Vickers fanboy, I haven't seen him in ten years, but he is one of the best when it comes to 1911s.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You  haven't been around the 1911 world for long or you haven't gotten around much.  LAV's 1911 armorer and operator courses are some of the best there is. He is a helluva 1911 plumber.

He doesn't basically advertise for Wilson.  They pay him to put his name on their stuff.

I'm far from a Vickers fanboy, I haven't seen him in ten years, but he is one of the best when it comes to 1911s.
View Quote
Samuse is right.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:20:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Real reality is that you can't buy any custom from any reputable builder for $3K.   A base Wilson is almost $3K.

Real one-off customs from Chris James, Yost, Rogers, Harrison, and the likes are usually North of $7K.
View Quote
You're both right.

For sub $2,500, you can take a base gun, send it to a reputable gunsmith like Garthewaite, Springfield Armory Custom Shop (before they fucked up their shop options), and even Harrison's cheaper packages, and get a pretty damn sweet gun back.

Once you get past the $2,500 mark, your returns become super diminishing. A Wilson CQB with a few things changed does everything a 1911 needs to do. Same can even be said for a Colt Combat Unit .45.

The full house custom $7,000 guns are nice, but I've never demonstrated a raw capability advantage in reliability, durability, or accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I can't shoot a Wilson any better than I shoot a stock Glock so $7K worth of performance would be wasted on me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I can't shoot a Wilson any better than I shoot a stock Glock so $7K worth of performance would be wasted on me.
View Quote
A poor shooter isn't good enough to take advantages of what a $2,500-7,000 custom 1911 would bring.

A good shooter is good enough that he can shoot pretty much anything he picks up pretty well.

I don't mean this is an overtly braggy sorta way, but I'm closer to the latter. If it has sights I can see, and a trigger I can manage (the majority of triggers work fine) I can use the gun pretty well. I have enough trigger time on different guns that it's not a huge issue. (I assume you're in this group as well, tbh, based on your posts.)

I just prefer a custom 1911.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#27]
That's exactly me.  I can't run my Wilson any better than a Glock, but I made high A Class with a stock G19 and an IWB carry rig last year in USPSA.

I've done the same with a P226 and an M9.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 12:02:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That's exactly me.  I can't run my Wilson any better than a Glock, but I made high A Class with a stock G19 and an IWB carry rig last year in USPSA.

I've done the same with a P226 and an M9.  
View Quote
Same, but with a 92FS and a S&W Model 39-2 I borrowed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#29]
I like everything except the grips and the price.

I have no doubt it is a great gun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 9:33:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I think a guy on Addicts got it.

Some big time 1911 guys over there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#31]
You don’t order a full custom gun thinking “what will my resale value be.”

You want a full custom because those that are familiar with the platform, and know what to look for in regards to fit, FUNCTION, proper barrel lock up (lug contact) etc etc etc ...You don’t even get this a lot of times with Semi Customs....if ever.

They are functional art....to those that don’t get it, they probably couldn’t tell the difference between a stock Springfield 1911 and a Pro....or a Wilson and a full custom Burton...

And that is OK. But for those that know what they are getting for that very steep price tag, it is very satisfying.

Honda......Audi.....Bugatti.....same difference.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Exactly.  That Vickers went for Supergrade money.  A real 1911 guy would take that Vickers over a tacky ass Supergrade any day.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Exactly.  That Vickers went for Supergrade money.  A real 1911 guy would take that Vickers over a tacky ass Supergrade any day.
View Quote
Agreed.

The supergrade is still a semi custom at the end of the day. I like WC, but the difference in cost between a CQB and a Supergrade makes me scratch my head...It is NOT a full custom by any means, but is getting damn close price wise.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Also a Michiguns up for sale at the same time/price.

I bet this one runs even better than the Vickers, and will be much better machined. 1911s have gone to deep pockets these last few years.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/777993435
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:18:50 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm going to go be poor somewhere else.  

I wish I could be in the game for a pistol like this.  If you are a shooter, I'm sure it is worth every penny.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:51:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh that Ned Christiansen 1911 is nice. Not my style, but very very nice.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:14:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm going to go be poor somewhere else.  

I wish I could be in the game for a pistol like this.  If you are a shooter, I'm sure it is worth every penny.
View Quote
lol

maybe

I'm betting he ordered all of the parts slapped it together and called it good.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Nope.  LAV knows a 1911 inside out.  He tuned an ejector for me with a Leatherman file standing out ihe sun and wind.  Pistol ran like a champ.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:19:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Nope.  LAV knows a 1911 inside out.  He tuned an ejector for me with a Leatherman file standing out ihe sun and wind.  Pistol ran like a champ.
View Quote
Some people just don't know what they don't know.

Kinda like an EMT telling me the pt is this or that after I call them after a a code for transfer to the ED
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Okay, that's fuckin' cool.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Kinda like an EMT telling me the pt is this or that after I call them after a a code for transfer to the ED
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So he fit the barrel and bushing together and everything else was done by someone else, interesting.

To each their own.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

So he fit the barrel and bushing together and everything else was done by someone else, interesting.

To each their own.
View Quote
What gives you that impression?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 4:22:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each their own.
It says so right in the ad.
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 10:31:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To each their own.
I think he probably did everything but the machining and finish, at least that's the way I read it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bwa HAHAHAHA.

Sorry, I'd buy one of Jason Burtons masterpieces WAYYYYYY before an overpriced Vickers.
View Quote
Exactly
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What makes that more cool than using any small file? It’s not big deal to file an ejector or extractor. Actually easier out in the sun than in a dark shop.

I would bet that basically any member of the 1911 pistolsmith guild could build a gun as good or better than that one.  And they would probably have done all the work themselves.

Not ripping on Larry BUT his fame doesn’t translate to better builder.  There are plenty of no name pistolsmith out there that can build equal or better than The big name guys too. They just aren’t internet famous yet.

For all we know the kart barrel in that gun is an “easy fit” model from kart.  Not bad at all. But the ad might be mis leading by saying “hard fit”.

I’d bet even builders from nighthawk,Baer, Wilson etc could all build a high end 1911 given the opportunity.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Nobody is saying that LAV is the only guy who can build a 1911.  That pistol brought the money it did because of who built it.

Not too many members of the APG were influential in building 1911s for SF use and built and used 1911s in SFOD-D.  They didn't help develop the HK416, the HK45, not to mention the Vickers Shooting Method.

I guarantee you that Colby Brandon can build every bit of a 1911 that LAV can, but who has the name??

Baer uses EZ Fit Karts fwiw.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Nobody is saying that LAV is the only guy who can build a 1911.  That pistol brought the money it did because of who built it.

Not too many members of the APG were influential in building 1911s for SF use and built and used 1911s in SFOD-D.  They didn't help develop the HK416, the HK45, not to mention the Vickers Shooting Method.

I guarantee you that Colby Brandon can build every bit of a 1911 that LAV can, but who has the name??

Baer uses EZ Fit Karts fwiw.
View Quote
I agree with what you said!
And wasn’t knocking the ezfits either. Just pointing out how they said “hard fit” barrel etc. when it probably an easy fit no big deal to fit barrel.

Baer’s are actually some of my favorites
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd wager against it being an EZ Fit.  If you've ever handled a Vickers built 1911 you would understand that they're built with extreme attention to detail.  When I said I they're up there with a Supergrade, that was more a compliment to the Supergrade.

Baer is not even in the conversation.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#50]
If the Vickers guns are so very rare, wouldn't whoever bought it wreck it's value by shooting it further than the current estimated 300 rounds that are already through it?  My reason for asking is that if you can't shoot it lest you ruin it's value, then it is bought purely as a speculation piece in the hopes it will go up in value.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top