Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2018 4:40:01 PM EDT
Hello, I'm looking to purchase and invest in my first 1911.  I've been a long time Glock fan (still am), but always wanted a 1911.  Just procrastinated because I wanted to spend $4-5K... not anymore.

Lately, I've been wanting to have a reliable and accurate handgun with the option of an optic.  So, I thought why not a 1911.

I found a Kimber KHX Custom (OR) for sale that I'm interested in purchasing.

Is this a good route or should I go with another brand w/optic gunsmithing later?

Please provide factual/unbias replies as much as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
So you don't want to spend 4 grand anymore.? That part has me confused.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Lol! Of course I'd love too . Just not feasible anymore.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:53:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Never mind. Made the purchase on the Kimber... guess I'll live with it and correct any issue(s) if any.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never mind. Made the purchase on the Kimber... guess I'll live with it and correct any issue(s) if any.
View Quote
Love the gun, and it will love you as well.

Saying "Kimber", is like saying "4 door sedan".
specs please
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I work for a former Kimber master dealer. Poor quality control and customer service.

I don't dislike mim parts across the board but Kimber mim parts straight up break in half at an alarming rate.

Kimbers don't seem to work about 25% of the time.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Should have gotten a Springfield TRP.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:19:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Politics not withstanding, the cheapest beginner 1911 I would entertain would be the Springfield Mil-Spec 1911-A1. Affordable at under $1K, Quality, and a good starter gun to build upon and customize. Above the $1K mark, your options improve greatly in Springfield (TRP, LBO, MCO, etc.), Colt, Dan Wesson, etc. You don't need to spend $3,000+ to find a decent 1911...
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Posted this thread, little over an hour later bought the gun in question anyway. Interesting...
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:37:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I would have went with a Springfield Loaded

Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:56:26 AM EDT
[#10]
First 1911, not last ??. I initially wanted a SA and still do. Definately will be my next. If the TRP RMR was available first in 45ACP, I'd be sold.

This one will be range only.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Politics not withstanding, the cheapest beginner 1911 I would entertain would be the Springfield Mil-Spec 1911-A1. Affordable at under $1K, Quality, and a good starter gun to build upon and customize. Above the $1K mark, your options improve greatly in Springfield (TRP, LBO, MCO, etc.), Colt, Dan Wesson, etc. You don't need to spend $3,000+ to find a decent 1911...
View Quote
I agree with you. When I relocate, I know several qualified 1911 gunsmiths. I planned to do exactly as you stated. Just zero gunsmiths here.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I work for a former Kimber master dealer. Poor quality control and customer service.

I don't dislike mim parts across the board but Kimber mim parts straight up break in half at an alarming rate.

View Quote
I hope I get a fluke without issues.

Are these known faulty parts replaceable/upgradable?

Anything I can visually look for/inspect before final purchase?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
I've had my Kimber Pro Carry II for about 8 years and I mostly feed it Federal ammo for plinking. I haven't had any of the issues the nay sayers report.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#14]
After going from Kimber, to SA, to customized SA, to DW, to Baer, never again. Cheaper or less costly 1911's can and do function just fine, but I have become a snob. DW is the very minimum I look at now, with Baer, full SACS Build and maybe eventually a Wilson after that. (simply because I'm to poor to own a wilson right now )

My Kimber Custom II only got about 600 rounds through it and it functioned fine. To be honest out of the 10 or 11 1911's I have owned only 1 Springfield gave me an issue and that was a Brazil made Loaded. All the other SA were fine, though some were rougher finished than others.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:29:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
I wouldn't say it's a fluke if you get a good one. 75% of the ones I see work 100%. They tend to be very accurate with nice triggers.

I would replace the thumb safety right off the bat (the most broken part I've seen) and the extractor.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#16]
The first 1911 that I purchased, not like the other ones that I "borrowed" from time to time from the Gov't, was this SA Loaded that has been perfect after change to FLGR and Wilson mags.  The Kimber has been great also with about 700 rds so far.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Kimbers are  a love them or hate them pistol

some love them, some hate them,

I own a handful or more of 1911's but no Kimber, just cause a good deal has not come my way on one I felt I needed to have,

my only real grip is the Kimber has eleventy billion variations,

anyhoo,

my first was a Springfield standard or mil model, whatever they called them in 1984,
bought it in 9mm, and promptly sold the slide, barrel, and mag and replaced it with a GI45 top end.

iffin I was in the mood/market for a new gun, I would buy a SA Range Officer,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top