Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2014 1:13:11 PM EDT
Hi all I have a few 1911's a couple of Springfields, a STI, and have a Colt Rail gun on layaway the one 1911 I keep going back to though is my Rock Island 2011 Tactical, I love shooting this gun and I am not sure what it is but I just really enjoy it, I was looking at Nighthawk's page and was wondering if I upgraded to a match threaded barrel/barrel bushing/barrel link, 1-piece Mainspring Housing / Magwell, Nighthawk/ Marvel Everlast Recoil System, beavertail grip safety, suppressor sights, and put a new Nighthawk trigger in there if it would be worth it?

I am not the type to sell anything and I know would never get out what I put in (like my cars ) but would the Rock make a great platform to build up into something to rival my other 1911's or is it like putting lipstick on a pig? Thanks for any ideas or thoughts anyone here upgrade their Rocks to a higher level, pics?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
As a Rock Tac owner, I'd say "Lipstick on a pig."  Springfield occasionally sells a full rail 1911 that would be better suited as a base gun.  In fact, SACS (their in house shop) will be happy to do the upgrades you mentioned for a good price.

I love my Rock, but you will never recoup any of your investments in the upgrades.  I know its not your plan now, but there might come a time you would want to.

Good luck, and if you decide to do it, post pics.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks forthe reply the two Springfields I have are the Champion operator with rail and the Full rail 5" Operator, I paid a good price few years ago for the Rock 400 bucks nib, with the Colt railgun coming maybe its pointless, I was just thinking lol and that always gets me in trouble for a little scratch I could have that Rock shining like a diamond, maybe not though I appreciate the counterpoint.....
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a Rock Tac owner, I'd say "Lipstick on a pig."  Springfield occasionally sells a full rail 1911 that would be better suited as a base gun.  In fact, SACS (their in house shop) will be happy to do the upgrades you mentioned for a good price.

I love my Rock, but you will never recoup any of your investments in the upgrades.  I know its not your plan now, but there might come a time you would want to.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1...came to say this.

Love my RIA as well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#4]
So I am getting the impression leave the Rock as is what about just getting a threaded barrel fitted for it and better trigger?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I felt the same way, I ended up putting a Storm Lake Threaded barrel, into mine and then sending the Slide into Dawson Precision to have a set of custom Suppressor sights made and installed.  I also went with a   Swenson Drop-In National Match Barrel Bushing, and replaced the grips with a set of Hogue Wrap around.  It was worth the effort, I run a AAC TI-ant45 on the front and it shoots great.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the reply thats what I am looking for could you tell a drastic improvement after your work done? Do you have any pics are you happy with the transformation? Thanks again....
Quoted:
I felt the same way, I ended up putting a Storm Lake Threaded barrel, into mine and then sending the Slide into Dawson Precision to have a set of custom Suppressor sights made and installed.  I also went with a   Swenson Drop-In National Match Barrel Bushing, and replaced the grips with a set of Hogue Wrap around.  It was worth the effort, I run a AAC TI-ant45 on the front and it shoots great.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
You won't recoup the cost of the mods on any brand.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I hear you on that not something i would sell anyways so taking the money aspect off the table would the Rock with those mods I mentioned surpass my Springfield Operators and the Colt Rail Gun I have coming or at least give them a heck of a run for their money.... I got the Rock at such a low price several years ago if I put some money into it stills feels like a deal to me, I guess really what i am looking at is the Rock something that can be turned into a high level performer without the 3 grand price tag for a full on custom gun, or is the patform bad to start with? Thanks again guys..
Quoted:
You won't recoup the cost of the mods on any brand.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
If you already own the RRA, and the slide to frame fit is tight, I say go for it.  

Every Springfield that I have handled, or shot, needed work to be "nice".  

People brag about their customer service.  How would they know that?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#10]
" />

This is how it turned out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow that motivates me what a cool project and the finished result looks awesome nicely done and thanks for the pics
View Quote

Top Top