Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2014 1:13:11 PM EDT
Hi all I have a few 1911's a couple of Springfields, a STI, and have a Colt Rail gun on layaway the one 1911 I keep going back to though is my Rock Island 2011 Tactical, I love shooting this gun and I am not sure what it is but I just really enjoy it, I was looking at Nighthawk's page and was wondering if I upgraded to a match threaded barrel/barrel bushing/barrel link, 1-piece Mainspring Housing / Magwell, Nighthawk/ Marvel Everlast Recoil System, beavertail grip safety, suppressor sights, and put a new Nighthawk trigger in there if it would be worth it?

I am not the type to sell anything and I know would never get out what I put in (like my cars ) but would the Rock make a great platform to build up into something to rival my other 1911's or is it like putting lipstick on a pig? Thanks for any ideas or thoughts anyone here upgrade their Rocks to a higher level, pics?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
As a Rock Tac owner, I'd say "Lipstick on a pig."  Springfield occasionally sells a full rail 1911 that would be better suited as a base gun.  In fact, SACS (their in house shop) will be happy to do the upgrades you mentioned for a good price.

I love my Rock, but you will never recoup any of your investments in the upgrades.  I know its not your plan now, but there might come a time you would want to.

Good luck, and if you decide to do it, post pics.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks forthe reply the two Springfields I have are the Champion operator with rail and the Full rail 5" Operator, I paid a good price few years ago for the Rock 400 bucks nib, with the Colt railgun coming maybe its pointless, I was just thinking lol and that always gets me in trouble for a little scratch I could have that Rock shining like a diamond, maybe not though I appreciate the counterpoint.....
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a Rock Tac owner, I'd say "Lipstick on a pig."  Springfield occasionally sells a full rail 1911 that would be better suited as a base gun.  In fact, SACS (their in house shop) will be happy to do the upgrades you mentioned for a good price.

I love my Rock, but you will never recoup any of your investments in the upgrades.  I know its not your plan now, but there might come a time you would want to.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1...came to say this.

Love my RIA as well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#4]
So I am getting the impression leave the Rock as is what about just getting a threaded barrel fitted for it and better trigger?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I felt the same way, I ended up putting a Storm Lake Threaded barrel, into mine and then sending the Slide into Dawson Precision to have a set of custom Suppressor sights made and installed.  I also went with a   Swenson Drop-In National Match Barrel Bushing, and replaced the grips with a set of Hogue Wrap around.  It was worth the effort, I run a AAC TI-ant45 on the front and it shoots great.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the reply thats what I am looking for could you tell a drastic improvement after your work done? Do you have any pics are you happy with the transformation? Thanks again....
Quoted:
I felt the same way, I ended up putting a Storm Lake Threaded barrel, into mine and then sending the Slide into Dawson Precision to have a set of custom Suppressor sights made and installed.  I also went with a   Swenson Drop-In National Match Barrel Bushing, and replaced the grips with a set of Hogue Wrap around.  It was worth the effort, I run a AAC TI-ant45 on the front and it shoots great.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
You won't recoup the cost of the mods on any brand.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I hear you on that not something i would sell anyways so taking the money aspect off the table would the Rock with those mods I mentioned surpass my Springfield Operators and the Colt Rail Gun I have coming or at least give them a heck of a run for their money.... I got the Rock at such a low price several years ago if I put some money into it stills feels like a deal to me, I guess really what i am looking at is the Rock something that can be turned into a high level performer without the 3 grand price tag for a full on custom gun, or is the patform bad to start with? Thanks again guys..
Quoted:
You won't recoup the cost of the mods on any brand.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
If you already own the RRA, and the slide to frame fit is tight, I say go for it.  

Every Springfield that I have handled, or shot, needed work to be "nice".  

People brag about their customer service.  How would they know that?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#10]
" />

This is how it turned out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Wow that motivates me what a cool project and the finished result looks awesome nicely done and thanks for the pics
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top