Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2014 6:18:10 PM EDT

I have a .45 auto with a frame serial number of C217xxx (Colt commercial number series). This number is not supposed to exist, since Colt discontinued commercial production in 1942 with s/n C215018, and resumed in 1946 with s/n C220001.

I learned today, from an apparent expert at a gun show, that this is one of the ersatz receivers produced in Vietnam in the early 1960's. They picked a serial number range that would not conflict with the Colt numbers. Anybody else heard this?

I bought this gun, used, in 1968 at a gun shop in Texas, so I have no further provenance on it. (When I bought it, it had a Remington-Rand slide with Micro adjustable sights, and a mismatched National Match barrel.) The receiver seems generally well-made. The rails show evidence of welding and re-machining -- possibly an accurizing job -- and there is an internal crack in the magazine well at the top of the slot for the trigger (no sign of a crack on the outside of the gun).

Any opinions on this? Do I have anything worthwhile or is it junk?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top