Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2014 7:56:41 PM EDT
Hey guys, wondering if I will get any real benefit from running a Power Mag + over a regular Power Mag in my aluminum framed 1911. I understand the PM + is recommended for LW frames as the follower doesn't leap forward on the last round, but my Springfield LW Operator has a ramped barrel. Does having a ramped barrel save me from having to worry about any damage or scarring caused by a regular mag/power mag follower after repeated use.

Thanks, and here's a pic of my LW Operator for the heck of it....

http://i59.tinypic.com/a0z5u8.jpg
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:23:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Interested in this also as I will get the same pistol in a month or so.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I run a SALW Operator and upgraded to the Power Mag +s about 4-6 monhs ago.

Not due to any specific need but rather to see if there was any appreciable difference in function/reliability. No change whatsoever as they're just as reliable as the non + mags.

No gouges or marks on the frame and/or feed ramp area so it's still a matter of time.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I run a SALW Operator and upgraded to the Power Mag +s about 4-6 monhs ago.

Not due to any specific need but rather to see if there was any appreciable difference in function/reliability. No change whatsoever as they're just as reliable as the non + mags.

No gouges or marks on the frame and/or feed ramp area so it's still a matter of time.
View Quote

Glad to hear both power mag models are running reliably in another LW Operator. Do you have any experience with other mags functioning not so well in your LW Op? I've read Wilson's aren't 100% in them. The factory SA mags (Metalform) are running strong, but I wanted some 8 rounders for future IDPA use.

I've run some Metalform Pro Elites with 100% reliability so far. While I recommend them, I personally am not a fan of how the extended "true 8 rounder" mag tube looks without an extended mag well. I know some will say function > form, but I prefer more of a flush fitting mag.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I've run just about every magazine out there over the years (about 30) through 1911s and have found that the modern magazines exhibit the best characteristics for my needs.

Factory magazines are what they are. ine have been hit or miss from the various manufacturers and end up in their own little box. Removeable base pads, polymer followers, changes in geometry, construction and all the other little extras have made things more convenient and functional  so that's why the aftermarket industry is as large as it is in this respect.

Back in the day, I ran Wilson Combats in 7 round form and then moved up to the 8s for the edge. Back then, they ran OK but still would throw you a bobble from time to time. I now relegate the old Wilson's to back up and training needs.

As usual, you'll find folks who will chew out 8 round magazines and guns shorter than 5" as being less than reliable. Somebody somewhere must know better as aluminum framed guns, Commnader and Officer sized guns and 8 round magzines have been cataloged for, not years, but rather decades now. In a world moved by economics, this speaks volumes.

Eventually I settled on the McCormick 8 round magazines and run them exclusively with the exception of trying out a new model from time to time. The "+" mags have worked well in my LW Operator as well as my LW Commanders and LW Champions. The Wilson ETM is in the testing fold now but the jury is still out as I don't have that many rounds through them. Yet.

All of that said, there are an awful lot of variables with any pistol/magazine combo and what works best in your specific gun is the way to go in accordance with your budget.

One thing is for certain though; you've never had a better time for choices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top