Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2012 7:15:33 AM EDT
-he originally posted this in the "gunsmithing" sub forum; I though some folks here might enjoy this PDF of a 1942 article on how they used to make 1911s.

http://www.gunlab.net/wp-content/uploads/1911manufacture.pdf

sorry no hotlink
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 7:57:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 7:41:30 AM EDT
[#2]

That is really a wonderful article.  Notice that the extractor and ejector were both made of 1075 steel––which is a spring steel.

I wish all the modern manufacturers would use proper materials.
Link Posted: 9/15/2012 8:18:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That is really a wonderful article.  Notice that the extractor and ejector were both made of 1075 steel––which is a spring steel.

And in that last sentence lie's the reason for half the bitching about unreliable 1911s. The other half is tolerance problems.
Link Posted: 9/17/2012 1:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Here here!  How many faults have we witnessed with:

-MIM steel?

-cast rather than forged?

And as this is still AR15.com, the use of a steel other than Carpenter for AR bolts?  

I am not saying these alternatives to the original cannot be sufficient.  I am saying they often are not sufficient.

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 12:25:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Cylinder&Slide sells a spring steel extractor. My extractor issues disappeared by switching from tool steel to spring steel.

The next issue is understanding there's a lot more to extractor tuning than tensioning. Bill Laughridge files his radius a bit different, afterwards polishes extractor face before setting tension with a small hammer and vise. I watched Bill work for an afternoon, we visited about extractors and particularly his spring steel extractors. Bill said, "you know I have those made but can't get them exactly the way I want'em."
1911 feed goes from ka-chunk to just the sound of slide closing, tuning extractor as Bill taught me.

Have yet to re-adjust tension on my spring steel extractors.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cylinder&Slide sells a spring steel extractor. My extractor issues disappeared by switching from tool steel to spring steel.

The next issue is understanding there's a lot more to extractor tuning than tensioning. Bill Laughridge files his radius a bit different, afterwards polishes extractor face before setting tension with a small hammer and vise. I watched Bill work for an afternoon, we visited about extractors and particularly his spring steel extractors. Bill said, "you know I have those made but can't get them exactly the way I want'em."
1911 feed goes from ka-chunk to just the sound of slide closing, tuning extractor as Bill taught me.

I bought a Cylinder and Slide extractor and I just popped it into my slide and that was that.  It worked flawlessly.  I did not have to adjust anything.

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a Cylinder and Slide extractor and I just popped it into my slide and that was that.  It worked flawlessly.  I did not have to adjust anything.

As it should have.

Not sure why I bother trying to pass on performance tips.

Link Posted: 9/18/2012 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, good score. Sweet pics of old machines that would still be working today if someone had em.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As it should have.

Not sure why I bother trying to pass on performance tips.

I was not trying to be disrespectful.  I only wanted to state that you are right that these are great extractors.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 12:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wow, good score. Sweet pics of old machines that would still be working today if someone had em.

Glad you enjoyed it.  Makes me sad to think of what became of the machines pictured.  At least we still have & value some of the guns produced.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link

Thanks for the great article - what a read!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top