Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2011 8:26:02 PM EDT
I love the 1911 but dont have alot of $$$$ to spend, whats the bottom of the barrel 1911 thats worth it's weight?
cannot go into the 1k range
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 8:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a few buddies that have recently purchased range officers. They all love them, only set back that I do not like this there is no front strap checkering stock. I love my trophy match.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I love the 1911 but dont have alot of $$$$ to spend, whats the bottom of the barrel 1911 thats worth it's weight?

Springfield GI, and some of the Armscorps made guns.

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a few buddies that have recently purchased range officers. They all love them, only set back that I do not like this there is no front strap checkering stock. I love my trophy match.

First post,

If I had to get an inexpensive 1911, the RO would be my first choice.  By design, it is supposed to have most of the desirable features for a "tactical" weapon w/o the frills and hand fitting which would make it more expensive.

Nice base gun to which you could add custom features as you go.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 8:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi-Point.

THIS ISN'T GD

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 9:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]
For approx. $700-$800, you could find the Desert Eagle 1911, Ruger SR1911, and SA Range Officer.  Cheaper than that - would be the SA Mil-Spec and even cheaper (if you can find one) would be the SA GI-45.

I would not hesitate at picking up a SA GI-45.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#6]
i have a metro arms american classic II that has been 100% for me... I got it for $470 otd, it comes with the extended slide release and safety, enlarged magazine release and beavertail, novak three dot sights, and a skeletonized hammer and trigger... with all of those in combination with the 300 or so perfect rounds of wicked cheap ammo make it a hell of a buy imo.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Filipino-made. These inclued Citadel, RIAs, ATIs, American Classics, Cimarron Arms, and High Standards.  MINE
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 11:46:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Shot a RIA a few weeks ago, and it worked just fine. I shot it with ball, so I don't know about hollows. Personally I would spend about $100 more and get a Springfield.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 12:05:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Shot a RIA a few weeks ago, and it worked just fine. I shot it with ball, so I don't know about hollows. Personally I would spend about $100 more and get a Springfield.

I can say, having owned sub-$1k SAs, that the fitment on the ATI 1911 that I just purchased is superior to any non-NM (serial number) SA I've owned/seen. Neither the non-NM SAs or Filipino 1911s are USA made so that's moot, too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 2:38:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I would see if you could get the new ruger, If not the S/A GI...  if that is too much look for RIA, citdel
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:15:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Rock Island Armory. Under $500 unless you want a "match" grade model.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#12]
I won a Springfield Mil-Spec last year.... very well made, shot well but I sold it (the grip safety dug into my hand and I didn't feel like spending the money to replace it and the hammer). I have heard (and read) good things about the Springfield Range Officer but I have never shot one.

Currently I own a Smith & Wesson E series 1911 and a Rock Island Armory "Tactical" 1911. You can find the RIA's in the sub-$500 range and they are great guns for the money.

I use my E series as my primary match gun and I have the RIA as a backup in case something breaks during a match......

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First post,

If I had to get an inexpensive 1911, the RO would be my first choice.  By design, it is supposed to have most of the desirable features for a "tactical" weapon w/o the frills and hand fitting which would make it more expensive.

Nice base gun to which you could add custom features as you go.

As one who ones a RO, I will say it is far from "tactical".  It is closer to a traditional Gold Cup of years ago.
Match sights, excellent barrel fitting, tight slide to frame fit, nice trigger that gets better with use, and enough sharp edges you can shave with it if need be.

op you can get a decent 1911 from 600 ish from places like SA STI, and RIA. or spen 800 ish and get a RO and SA loadded models.

More you spend the more aditional features you can get on a 1911.

to me all the RO is missing is a checkered front strap and a undercut trigger guard. eta and a S&A mag funnel.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:30:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the RIA at $400 is one of the best kept secrets in the 1911 world...
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Desert Eagle 1911G. Very nice trigger.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#16]
RIA sound like a good starting point to me, I can always buy something better when I have more $$$ to spend...
I like the nickel plated look, after looking around they are priced as much as 75 more, its this usual or should I expect to pay the same?
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the STI Spartan. In my opinion it is the best 1911 for the money and comes with enhancements that you would have to pay for on other guns.

STI Spartan w/10 round Chip McCormick mags

10 rounds at 40 feet doing load development

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I think the RIA at $400 is one of the best kept secrets in the 1911 world...

If I was on a budget this is the direction I would go, see if a shop in your area has one to check out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Lotsa haters here, but I've got a Taurus PT1911 that hasn't given me any trouble whatsover with a couple thousand rounds fired.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the STI Spartan. In my opinion it is the best 1911 for the money and comes with enhancements that you would have to pay for on other guns.

STI Spartan w/10 round Chip McCormick mags
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o270/Texas_Rick/usefulpics/PICT0002.jpg

10 rounds at 40 feet doing load development
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o270/Texas_Rick/gunrelated/Target45.jpg

The Spartan is a Gem.  Terrific gun for the price.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#21]
spartan is the RIA match with STI guts.
just so you know.
nothing wrong with it, as I own one.
whitakers sold me mine for 570 delivered to me.

hands down nothing can touch it in that price range.

400 for the RIA GI
450 is for the RIA tactical. the nickle is around 480 now depending on where you look.
540 to 628 for the RIA match or STI spartan, again depending on  where you look.
Centerfire systems has pretty good deals on RIA, Sarco inc cannot be touched for their price on RIA's as well.

at the Match or spartan level of features and assembly, you have to step up to a 900 dollar gun from any other manufacture min.
At the tactical level, Springfield would be about 300 more to get the same features.
for the GI, springfield is about 200 more, and colt is double.

Link Posted: 9/16/2011 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/16/2011 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, I'm not sure what type of features you're interested in;

A. GI type gun- Regular grip safety, low profile sights, spur hammer
B. Fighting/Enhanced type- Beavertail, ext safety, novak type sights
C. Target/Match/Competition type setup- Target sights, some have beavertails/ other enhancements

Might help us narrow it down for you.
It would help if you gave us a specific budget you have in mind.

I think that at the lower end of the spectrum the RIA Tactical is the best buy. Even their GI type gun is a great value.
Then maybe the Springfield GI, Mil Spec, RO, and Loaded. The new Ruger might fit in there somewhere too, if you can find one.
Then for me I would go to the Colts from there. 1991, Ser. 70 repro, XSE, Rail gun

I think you could get anything I listed for under $1000.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#24]
SA Range Officer, Loaded, or MilSpec

RIA Tactical

or even the ATI.

I personally have a MilSpec that is NM prefix serial and I have had it since 07. Since then I have changed some things and added a bunch of wear but it's never faild in anyway and I have shot it in some poor conditions. I love Springfield 1911's and there are at least four models that can be had under $1K and still be very nice 1911's for the money.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
OP, I'm not sure what type of features you're interested in;

A. GI type gun- Regular grip safety, low profile sights, spur hammer
B. Fighting/Enhanced type- Beavertail, ext safety, novak type sights
C. Target/Match/Competition type setup- Target sights, some have beavertails/ other enhancements

Might help us narrow it down for you.
It would help if you gave us a specific budget you have in mind.

I think that at the lower end of the spectrum the RIA Tactical is the best buy. Even their GI type gun is a great value.
Then maybe the Springfield GI, Mil Spec, RO, and Loaded. The new Ruger might fit in there somewhere too, if you can find one.
Then for me I would go to the Colts from there. 1991, Ser. 70 repro, XSE, Rail gun

I think you could get anything I listed for under $1000.

I decided to go with the ria, is the tactical the same thing as a1?
i've only seen a fulll size and sc, are there other models?
going to shop around locally but budsgunshop has the a1 for 380 shipped.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#26]
the GI type does not have a beavertail grip safety. so if you get hammer bite, this will be an issue. It would run about another 100 bucks in parts to fix this.

IF you know you don't get hammer bite with a stock 1911, then save the money and get the GI, otherwise step up the 40 bucks or so and pick up the tactical model.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
the GI type does not have a beavertail grip safety. so if you get hammer bite, this will be an issue. It would run about another 100 bucks in parts to fix this.

IF you know you don't get hammer bite with a stock 1911, then save the money and get the GI, otherwise step up the 40 bucks or so and pick up the tactical model.

very sound advice
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 7:14:41 PM EDT
[#28]
1911's were meant to be 'merican. Go with the STI Spartan. Springfield is a bunch of brazilian sneeks
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I use to shoot IPSC in the 70's and 80's when custom tuned Series 70s ruled. I recently bought a SA GI and Mil. The GI was 600.00+ and was the more accurate, better fitting of the two. In fact it is very accurate and will shoot with my custom fitted S70 and Kimbers. With it's GI grip safety and spur hammer it is also a very natural pointer, more so than the Mil which I traded. The out of the box GI  is now my truck gun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

1911's were meant to be 'merican. Go with the STI Spartan. Springfield is a bunch of brazilian sneeks

STI Spartan ain't 'merican either.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 3:05:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:19:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Don't forget SIG 1911s - made in New Hampshire with very little MIM. The XO can be had in most places for $700-ish. Great shooters if you can live with the external extractor and non-traditional slide shape.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#33]
So my next question is...
ria sc or full size?
all the sc I've seen already have the beaver tail... which is nice
but I like the full size look/feel
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Sigs represent great value in the more "loaded" catogory...$819 (+shipping) gets you night sights, a rail, checkered frontstrap, beavertail, ambi safety, no MIM internals and a pretty descent level of fit and finish. No, it's not bottom of the barrel, but it does cover pretty much every feature you might ever need....

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Don't forget SIG 1911s - made in New Hampshire with very little MIM. The XO can be had in most places for $700-ish. Great shooters if you can live with the external extractor and non-traditional slide shape.

depends on what you are doing with it I guess.
range gun go full size. no reason not to.

there are 3 sizes. full size, commander ish, since it uses a bull barrel and is 4 inch slide and the officer ish size as well.

IF it is a carry gun, it would be a toss up, depending on how much shooting I was doing with it for the commanderish or officerish.
And if I were going commander, I would proably spend a few bucks for the ATI or is it american classic 2, also supposed to be armscor but is a regular commander slide and bushing gun.

I do carry a full size 1911 right now, but wantting an smaller one for carry.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,

I see. Just checked. The GP6 and Spartan are foreign, but the rest are made in Texas.

On the other hand, picked up a 5" S&W (non E) and it is 10/10 in fit and finish. We'll see on how it shoots. Just under $750 OTD.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 2:59:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly..wanna see an Armscor frame, slide and barrrel then go with the Spartan
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 6:40:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So my next question is...
ria sc or full size?
all the sc I've seen already have the beaver tail... which is nice
but I like the full size look/feel

The biggest drawbacks from what ive heard about the 3" and 4" pistols that use a bushingless design is that they are more likley to have problems than one that uses a bushing.
Im sure someone will be along shortly to cleav me in twain but my limited knowledge says that all 3-4.25" 1911's are bushingless except for the original Colt Commanders.

I plan to CCW my 1911 so I want to minimize the failure rate. That being said only a small handfull of people have come forth complaining about their bushingless barrels so take that for what its worth.
Plenty of people seem to depend on that design.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 7:06:15 AM EDT
[#39]
PT1911, Forged slide and frame, plus decent sights. 1500 trouble free rounds through mine. Lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

thank you for this, I literally LOL'd, and I needed it
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#41]
I bought a RIA Tactical about 2 months ago and it is fast becoming my new carry piece which I was adamant about it not being for.  I love it.  Something about a 1911 that makes me happy.  I paid about 460 with tax at the fun show here in Houston.  I also picked up a couple of Wilson 47Ds to help feed it.  One thing I would suggest...get mags and ammo to go with it.  If you have 800-1000 to spend I honestly would get a RIA Tac and load up on mags and ammo and get to shootin.  

maybe set a side 70-80 for new grips for it too.  Stock ones are boring and VZ grips look damn great.  I will post pics when I get mine
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 12:13:26 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm surprised no one has recommended a used Norinco 1911.  I have one and it's a sweetheart.  Several examples on Gunbroker for [url=http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=251857214$450.[/url]
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I like the looks of the Ruger.  I also like the looks of the Springfield Range Officer but don't really need Adj. Sights.

I don't particularly care for front slide serrations anymore.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm surprised no one has recommended a used Norinco 1911.  I have one and it's a sweetheart.  Several examples on Gunbroker for [url=http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=251857214$450.[/url]

+1 Great gun out of the box !!! Even better when a Good Smith gets a hold of it !!!! They sell between 3 and 5 hundred when they can be found because of the ban I have one and will never sell it !!!! It will be going to JoJo's in CT for work soon.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#45]
The ria tactical is a great gun,

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Springfiled Loaded.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:00:54 PM EDT
[#47]
RIA...

I got a tactical and then bought a CS for my everyday ccw.

The CS wears a set of Hogue grips now  just like the Tactical
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top