Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2011 3:45:34 PM EDT
I just picked up this Springfield Champion Lightweight. The price was good due to the  blue anodizing on the frame. I would like some suggestions on an all black finish. Pics of examples would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure that's a Springfield frame?

Ser# and such looks weird (unless you photoshopped)
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't done anything to the pic. The seller said it's a Brazilian made Springfield. Does anyone have any insight into the serial number?
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm partial to the Severn's Hardhat finish:

Severn's Custom

(had a picture but it was freakin' huge!)

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't look like a springfield frame I have ever seen
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Cerakote. I'm a huge fan.

I got a Springfield MC Operator and enjoyed shooting it, but after a while the finish on the slide started to peel and chip and just look like hell. I don't use any bizarre, field expedient cleaning substances, just Rem Oil and other commercial stuff like that. At any rate, I gave the gun to a smith near Knoxville when I was working in E. TN and had some other work done, and said I wanted a flat black finish on it after everything else was done. He recommended Cerakote and I'm very glad I went with it.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#6]
First, get it cut for some proper Novaks.

Then get a Duracoating kit and your choice of black varieties.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow, that is a seriously old looking SA.

I'd also recommend new sights with the Novak cut, then have SA put their Armory Kote on it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Hard Hat/ Melonite/ isonite will NOT work on an alloy frame.
Black T is expensive with a long wait and is no more durable than other spray/bakes.

At the budget end: Cerakote. At the high end, IonBond. But as others have said, make any other mods to the gun first
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#11]
It is indeed a Springfield frame, 1994 manufacture.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It is indeed a Springfield frame, 1994 manufacture.

cool, learned something new, all the ones I've seen from that era had the squarer dust cover
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top