Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2010 9:22:01 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm finishing up building my first AR-15 and after it is finished I would like a smaller, more compact and affordable alternative to take out the paper hostiles with. I have admired the 1911 ever since I got into researching the history of American firearms in "modern" warfare when I was but a young boy and have come to love the modernized look of the Kimber Custom II. Would I be better off building a version that looks similar to this (if so what are some good sites to start with), or would I be better just picking up a Kimber. I have talked to various gun owners of Kimber and many swear by them, some even to the point of saying it's better than a colt (which to me seems to be unheard of, so I'm expecting some bias).

Since I'm a full-time college student, the main thing I am concerned about is price followed by reliability. This will be strictly a range/home-defense pistol that I would like to learn as much about as possible without breaking my bank account. I have browsed around and some people say that this Kimber Custom 2 series goes for around $700.

Any and all input is appreciated as I am in the 'brainstorming' phase of this possible endeavor,

Thanks!

TL;DR: Would it be more wise for my time and wallet to try and build a Kimber Custom II equivalent for less than $700 or should I just stick it out with the Kimber for my first 1911?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Building a 1911 is an entirely different animal than building an AR-15. Buy your first one, learn all of its in's and out's, UNDERSTAND the mechanisms involved, what they are for, how they function, why they function, etc. Then start picking up tools, jigs, etc. and read read read read everything you can.

Building a soap box derby car doesn't mean you can go out and build a Ferrari in your garage. I realize the analogy is a little extreme but the idea pertains to the situation.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You won't save money building.  The tools required will set you back a lot of money.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 10:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
First?  Buy, no doubt about it.

If for no other reason than to have a working one to refer to once you start building.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:19:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I would say buy your first one. Like someone else said, learning the mechanisms and function of the gun is priority number one. Even if you don't build one, you need to know how to tear them apart, trouble shoot, and possibly repair.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 6:06:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Buy, A 1911 needs to be fit and pretty much nothing is drop in.  You have to actually build it.  You put an AR15 together, you really dont build it you just drop parts in it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Although I am a symbol for the method of learning by "Trial by Fire",  I'll take all of your guys word for it that I should just pick up one. While I didn't state it, I don't currently have the luxury of being able to buy tools necessary to assemble such a gun.

Are there any sorta quick tips/knowledgable fact about this Kimber Custom II model, Kimber Firearms, or things pertaining of the 1911 models in particular that I should be made privy to? For example, barrel twist and bullet loads, quality control issues with Kimber (read a bit about it, but not too in-depth), parts I should look to replace within a decent amount of time after buying the gun, etc.?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy the first one - they're finnicky enough critters to begin with, don't need to be worrying about who built it on top of that if (when) you have to troubleshoot an issue.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Buy one, shoot the hell out of it, then figure out what works or doesn't work for you.  Then build one based on your first hand experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top