Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2010 4:58:05 PM EDT
I have an SA Loaded that I inherited from my father. It is green parked. I contacted SA and they said it was made in 1991 and is a model PI9108.
It has Bo-Mar sights.
The barrel is marked Colt 45 auto. Underneath that are the letters NM and a serial number. The bushing is also marked NM with a different serial number. The barrel feels like it has a step at the end where it enters the bushing.
Did SA use NM marked barrels? Is this possibly something my dad added or had installed?

Jim
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure that Springfield was using some USGI parts in their very early guns, so it's not out of the question. I'm not extremely familiar with them from that time period, so I can't say for sure.

EDIT: The step on the barrel at the front is normal. The decreased diameter is so the barrel can pivot without binding in the bushing while the slide is cycling. The increased portion is so the bushing has a good fit when in battery.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure that Springfield was using some USGI parts in their very early guns, so it's not out of the question. I'm not extremely familiar with them from that time period, so I can't say for sure.

EDIT: The step on the barrel at the front is normal. The decreased diameter is so the barrel can pivot without binding in the bushing while the slide is cycling. The increased portion is so the bushing has a good fit when in battery.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

My other 1911s have a larger diameter at the front, but this is a step.
From what I have been able to find the barrel and bushing are both National Match parts. Did SA use Bomar sights on their pistols?
What designation did SA use on pistols like this one? Target? Match?

Jim
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
After contacting SA it seems as if it left the factory as an early version of the Loaded model.
Dad must have had the NM barrel and bushing added later. I do know he didn't fit bushings- that was one modification he wasn't confident he could do himself.
Whoever did it must have also fit the slide and frame as they are tight. The overall work is very professional and I know it is accurate.

Someone mentioned that if a pistol went through the Custom Shop it wouldn't show on SA's records. Is there a way for me to tell if this might have went through that shop?

Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top