Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/12/2020 12:09:01 AM EDT
9mm with threaded barrel and tall sights.

I've seen references to how great hosts 1911s are but can't find a hicap suppressor ready model.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 10:38:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes they’re out there. Good luck finding one though.

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes they’re out there. Good luck finding one though.

View Quote

I'm aware of STIs discontinued models, was hoping for something currently available.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:09:34 PM EDT
[#3]
HK USP 9mm tac if you can't find a 2011.

USP was designed after the 1911 so the controls will be familiar.

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:17:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
HK USP 9mm tac if you can't find a 2011.

USP was designed after the 1911 so the controls will be familiar.

View Quote

I've owned them in the past.  Good guns but not for me, I purged them when I got out of polymer framed guns.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

This is a Nighthawk example.

But most custom/semi custom shops have a version of a 2011 or 2019 (what Chambers calls it).

Link Posted: 12/12/2020 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/318644/FD2E298A-E94F-44FD-938F-1FF3E4287A26_jpe-1727395.JPG

This is a Nighthawk example.

But most custom/semi custom shops have a version of a 2011 or 2019 (what Chambers calls it).

View Quote

I figured as much but those aren't for me either.  I've seen way too many threads with people having issues with 4k to 5k customs/semi customs.  STI and DW are as high as I go.  Hell, I'd sooner get an RIA.  If a 900 dollar gun doesn't run out of the box, meh ill get it figured out.

If a 4500 gun didn't I'd go fucking nuclear.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Hayes custom works magic with RIA guns.

You still will be over 2k after they’re done.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 8:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
How about a DW Fury? They were discontinued in 2019, but odds are you can find one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#9]
www.tacticalsteelcustom.com can build you one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I figured as much but those aren't for me either.  I've seen way too many threads with people having issues with 4k to 5k customs/semi customs.  STI and DW are as high as I go.  Hell, I'd sooner get an RIA.  If a 900 dollar gun doesn't run out of the box, meh ill get it figured out.

View Quote

If you had a custom gun built and it didn't work, any decent builder would fix it.

But I get your sentiment, I can't see myself spending the money on a custom 2011, and I've shot many since I do USPSA.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Word I heard recently was Stacatto will have some threaded models in 2021.

Who knows if it actually happens but its a logical option for them to offer.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:59:34 AM EDT
[#12]
They don’t exist currently because there isn’t a huge demand. I have a couple of the STI’s only one of which has the tall sights. Neither was new and neither runs 100%.

The easiest way to get what you want is to buy a base gun and do sights and barrel. Honestly I’d probably go CZ or Sig if I were starting over.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:00:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Word I heard recently was Stacatto will have some threaded models in 2021.

Who knows if it actually happens but its a logical option for them to offer.

View Quote

What seems silly to me is not being able to special order them that way. It’s not like a threaded barrel is any harder to fit. Makes me wonder if they are just a lot more problematic.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#14]
The STI/Staccato lineup changes seemingly every 6 months, so if you don’t see what you want, just wait... but don’t wait too long.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They don’t exist currently because there isn’t a huge demand. I have a couple of the STI’s only one of which has the tall sights. Neither was new and neither runs 100%.

The easiest way to get what you want is to buy a base gun and do sights and barrel. Honestly I’d probably go CZ or Sig if I were starting over.
View Quote

I've wanted to set up a CZ as a host but the road block has been the sights.

I found a set of tall sights on the CZC site that say they were for the P07 or S1 but when I emailed about them they don't have them anymore.

I have a spare S1 and S2 to use but no sights exist that I know of.  I'd rather do a S1 though since CZ USA sells the S1/SP-01 threaded barrel and it is in stock.  It is 1:10 but I'd have to use CZC for a S2 threaded barrel which are all 1:16.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The STI/Staccato lineup changes seemingly every 6 months, so if you don’t see what you want, just wait... but don’t wait too long.
View Quote

I did just buy a P and C2 (C2 will go the wife) to see if they live up to the current hype.  I am surprised with their new direction they don't have a factory option for a suppressor gun.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Have you shot a gun with short sights and a can? I’m definitely of the mindset that tall sights are not a necessity and just sight through the can. An offset can can also make a difference.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes. I already tried that with a CZ and hated it.

At 10 to 15 yards, sure.  But beyond that is a pain.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 10:27:22 AM EDT
[#19]
A 2011 in 9mm, with threaded barrel and functional iron sights will be tough for find.  

Best bet would be to find an open gun in 9 and add the sights to it or get a 9mm that was used for 3-gun and add a threaded barrel. Either route you're going to have to pay for custom work to be done.
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 1:43:17 PM EDT
[#20]
This is what you seek sans thread and sights - but if you ping them and ask they should be able to swap out barrel and sights.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:09:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I was in the same position.  

I really like 9mm 1911s as they are really soft and accurate shooters, and really like them as suppressor hosts.   To that end I bought a Dan Wesson Wraith in 9MM a couple years back as a single stack suppressor host.

However, I always wanted that Dan Wesson to have "modern" capacity of >15rds.   To scratch that high capacity itch I bought a Remington "para pattern" double stack 1911 in 45ACP, with a factory threaded barrel and suppressor sights as a complement to my Sig Tac Ops, which was my 45acp single stack suppressor host.

I had good success with the Remington 1911 double-stack 45acp and wished that Remington would make a double-stack 1911 in 9mm with a threaded barrel and suppressor sights.   Remington didn't appear to make many double stack 1911s in 9mm before the whole DS line as  discontinued and to the best of my knowledge there was never a 9mm threaded barrel option either.

I ended up finding a Remington 1911 double-stack Recon in 9mm, bought a threaded Fusion barrel (para ramped, 9MM, commander length), hand fitted the threaded Fusion barrel to the gun, then sent the barrel out to Primary Machine for nitriding, and added high suppressor tritium sights.

On the left is the final Remington 9MM double-stack with Fusion barrel suppressor host build along with the Remington factory full size 1911 double-stack suppressor host in 45ACP on the right for comparison.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#22]
I didn't think Remington got many of those out the door before they closed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I didn't think Remington got many of those out the door before they closed.
View Quote

There were a pretty decent number of 45s that came out.  There was a period of time on Gunbroker for maybe  18 months or so where there were plenty of 45s, especially the threaded barrel version for sale.  I had no problems finding the 45 I bought and still see them on Gunbroker but they command a lot more money now that they once did.

The 9's were more rare and would pop up only occasionally and now that Remington is closed I have not seen one for sale in a couple months, but they are out here on the auction sites here and there.

The Tomasie 40S&W version I have never saw one for sale in the probably 2 years I had a recurring search on Gunbroker for "remington 1911 double stack".  If they even made any of these they were really rare.

Its too bad as the Remington 1911s were a pretty good gun for the money.  

I have a couple friends with the standard single stack guns and they run just fine.  The double  stack guns were a bargain at ~$1200 compared to the Stacatto, Infinity, Nighthawk 2011 pattern double stack guns that run many multiples the cost.

I really enjoy both of mine and if you want a cheaper 1911 double stack 9mm, the hardest part will be finding the base Remington 9mm DS gun.  The rest of the parts are easily available aftermarket as the Remington double stack slides take standard 1911 sights, 9mm bushings, and 9mm para ramped barrels.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 2:15:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There were a pretty decent number of 45s that came out.  There was a period of time on Gunbroker for maybe  18 months or so where there were plenty of 45s, especially the threaded barrel version for sale.  I had no problems finding the 45 I bought and still see them on Gunbroker but they command a lot more money now that they once did.

The 9's were more rare and would pop up only occasionally and now that Remington is closed I have not seen one for sale in a couple months, but they are out here on the auction sites here and there.

The Tomasie 40S&W version I have never saw one for sale in the probably 2 years I had a recurring search on Gunbroker for "remington 1911 double stack".  If they even made any of these they were really rare.

I have a couple friends with the standard single stack guns and they run just fine.  The double  stack guns were a bargain at ~$1200 compared to the Stacatto, Infinity, Nighthawk 2011 pattern double stack guns that run many multiples the cost.

I really enjoy both of mine and if you want a cheaper 1911 double stack 9mm, the hardest part will be finding the base Remington 9mm DS gun.  The rest of the parts are easily available aftermarket as the Remington double stack slides take standard 1911 sights, 9mm bushings, and 9mm para ramped barrels.  

View Quote

Para has had a wild ride for sure. I was really hoping Remington would turn it into something awesome but I guess they had too much else going on. I’m sure we’ll see them back in one form or another as they are Lazarus.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I must have been looking at the wrong time then.  I saw a fluff piece on the .45 one in a gun rag and thought finally, a 14+1 all metal .45.

At that point I still had 5k .45 ACP, a Ghost-M and no .45 pistol.  I knew 2 guys with R1s that were pretty sloppy but I was willing to fix and upgrade if necessary.  However I never found a single one on GB for about 6 or 7 months.   I ended up just getting out of .45.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
How about a DW Fury? They were discontinued in 2019, but odds are you can find one.
View Quote

Money no object I would buy one of those in a heartbeat!
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:52:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Fury looks as if it's built on the Caspian doublestack frame, so be aware of that.... different mag design than either 2011 or Para.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The Fury looks as if it's built on the Caspian doublestack frame, so be aware of that.... different mag design than either 2011 or Para.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At this point I’d just hold out for their new double stack gun. DWX I think it’s called. Looks pretty promising but COVID really messed up the release.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:28:49 PM EDT
[#29]
You can have a threaded barrel fitted to one of these:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/886038714
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not that is matters as it's way out of my price range but out of curiosity (as I don't know much about 2011 type frames), is mag compatibility the only difference between Caspian and 2011/Para frames? How do you visually tell them apart? Are those the only 3 options for a 2011 type frame?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

At this point I’d just hold out for their new double stack gun. DWX I think it’s called. Looks pretty promising but COVID really messed up the release.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't the DWX an expensive CZ ?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

It’s a Dan Wesson which is owned by CZ. The prices I’ve seen are less than comparable STI guns but they’re not out yet. They also use established CZ mags so that’s good. I think it’s going to be a killer in the market.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It’s a Dan Wesson which is owned by CZ. The prices I’ve seen are less than comparable STI guns but they’re not out yet. They also use established CZ mags so that’s good. I think it’s going to be a killer in the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wouldn't this be like Ferrari buying Fiat? I'm not a hater (I own a Kimber so [insert hiding meme]) but I genuinely want to know if CZ will now be worth DW money?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:56:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wouldn't this be like Ferrari buying Fiat? I'm not a hater (I own a Kimber so [insert hiding meme]) but I genuinely want to know if CZ will now be worth DW money?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They’ve been together for 15 years. This is nothing new. All the Dan Wesson quality 1911’s people have been raving about are the newer guns under CZ 9/10 times.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

They’ve been together for 15 years. This is nothing new. All the Dan Wesson quality 1911’s people have been raving about are the newer guns under CZ 9/10 times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HOLE E FK ... I did not know this. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is pretty hands off though, DW makes everything in house in NY.

CZ-USA distributes their products.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#37]
For the price, my RIA is not too shabby.  Did a little polish work on moving parts and tightened up the trigger area to fix all the low buck stuff.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get the STI you want (Staccato P would be my recommendation) and have a smith fit the barrel.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not that is matters as it's way out of my price range but out of curiosity (as I don't know much about 2011 type frames), is mag compatibility the only difference between Caspian and 2011/Para frames? How do you visually tell them apart? Are those the only 3 options for a 2011 type frame?
View Quote

I have never had a Caspian frame but it wouldn't surprise me if the magazine catch and trigger were different, as well as the magazines.

You can usually tell them apart visually by looking at how the wide portion of the grip blends into the narrow portion.  The Caspian has a rounded look and the grips are very thin and sometimes nothing more than grip tape.  The Para is noticeably fat where the magazine fits, and narrows visibly in the front and back.   The 2011 is always a two-piece grip and frame combo and there is a step down on the frame portion in both front and back.  The grip is pretty rounded for the most part.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Those are the big 3 designs.  In sheer numbers of doublestack frames out there, I'd say 75% are Para or Para clones,  22% are 2011s, and 3% are Caspian or one of the other designs.

The Wilson EDC X9 and KZ-45, Kimber/BUL, and a few others are out there as well.  Magazines do not interchange.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Ended up going the STI/Staccato route.  As soon as they added the option last month I ordered a P DPO with threaded barrel.

The sights should be tall enough.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For the price, my RIA is not too shabby.  Did a little polish work on moving parts and tightened up the trigger area to fix all the low buck stuff.
View Quote

I just got my RIA 9mm TAC ULTRA FS HC back from having a threaded extension installed on the barrel and my suppressor recored by ECCO Machine and so far I'm pretty happy.  Still debating on how I want to install my Holosun 507c.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 4:39:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Staccato has threaded barrel options now. You can order one from their website and have it delivered to the FFL of your choice.
I’m currently lusting after a Staccato P DPO Tuxedo Threaded barrel model myself
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:11:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Staccato has threaded barrel options now. You can order one from their website and have it delivered to the FFL of your choice.
I’m currently lusting after a Staccato P DPO Tuxedo Threaded barrel model myself
View Quote

That's exactly what I did, look 2 posts up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's exactly what I did, look 2 posts up.
View Quote

Ain’t nobody got time to read that.

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ended up going the STI/Staccato route.  As soon as they added the option last month I ordered a P DPO with threaded barrel.

The sights should be tall enough.
View Quote

Congrats. Pls post pics
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:42:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Congrats. Pls post pics
View Quote

My other orders were always quoted only 6-8 weeks or so out and came in around there or faster.

This time the ETA was WEEELLLL out, 5/10.  I may not have it for months yet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My other orders were always quoted only 6-8 weeks or so out and came in around there or faster.

This time the ETA was WEEELLLL out, 5/10.  I may not have it for months yet.
View Quote
Directly through staccato? I just picked up my second one with the threaded barrel and rmr sights.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Directly through staccato? I just picked up my second one with the threaded barrel and rmr sights.
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#49]

Forgot I started this thread.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#50]

just wow, man
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top