Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2017 2:02:19 PM EDT
So I have a Type59 which as I stated in a previous thread is allegedly different than a standard Mak in some places. Now a standard Mak mainspring works so Im hoping that a standard Mak 380 barrel will work also, but before I buy one I would like to make sure a standard Mak barrel has the same dimensions. So Im wondering if someone could measure the overall length, barrel length, chamber length, barrel diameter and chamber diameter. I figure if all of those are the same then the barrel will work. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how the Type 59 differs from any of the other Makarovs. My Norinco seems to be compatible with my other military guns. Although, I don't know if the .380 barrel is a "standardized" item.

Alas, I have what appears to be a spare Russian 9x18 barrel as it's marked with the Cyrillic character for "sh" and the #5. From it I have the following dimensions that I feel would be the critical ones from a barrel swap standpoint (look for my "Complete Makarov Disassembly" video on Youtube).

Width of Feed ramp/lug on barrel: 0.233"

Barrel width (stepped portion that fits into the "hood" on the frame): 0.514"

Barrel width (at muzzle end): 0.506"

Barrel length (chamber face to muzzle end): 3.676"
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:44:09 PM EDT
[#2]
P.S. Depending on the barrel you purchase, you may have to drill out the pin hole on the lug/feed ramp to be able to pin the barrel in. Also, even with the barrel press, it is a PITA to remove/install. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I just remember reading the Type 59 was not 100% the same as other Makarovs, this is quickly proving to be false as all replacement parts Im looking at are standard dimension. Thanks for the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top