Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2002 8:05:00 PM EDT
Well, I got my CCW, so I needed a compact carry piece.  Finally decided on the Kimber Ultra Carry in .45 ACP.

I took it to the range today for a test drive, and I think I'm in love.  It fits me pretty well, even though I have big hands.  After just a little dry-fire drill, it comes up naturally on target.

It's at least as accurate as I am (I haven't "benched" it yet), and recoil is surprisingly mild.  This is my first .45, and I may be misremembering how my friend's 1911 shot, but I swear this compact kicks less than his full size -- just a bit more than a 9mm.  Maybe something to do with the mainspring assembly?

I only put one box through it, but I had no malfunctions.  I let a friend shoot a mag, and he had a jam, but I think he was limpwristing it.  I swear he could jam a revolver.

Very nice package.  My only nitpicks: The mag only holds 6, but I understand Wilson Combat makes 7 (and possibly 8) rounders for it.  In fact, the guy in the store recommended I get Wilson mags.  Also, the mag lip at the base of the grip rubbed into my pinky after a bit, and made it kinda sore.  And the skin on my fingers tended to pinch and bunch up under the trigger guard and get a bit sore as well.  I think a set of Hogue or Pachmeyer grips might make it perfect.  The sore spots would only come into play after a lengthy dry fire or shooting session and would not be a factor in day to day carrying, but it would be nice to alleviate them.  Don't let this scare you away from this gun, as I have very big hands, and this sort of thing is something I just have to deal with for compact pistols.

Overall, I give it a good thumbs up, and I am looking forward to carrying it.  Now I need a holster....  
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 4:46:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the welcome and the advice.  I had thought about the grips grabbing cloth and possibly interfering with the draw, but I hadn't considered printing issues.  The gun comes from the factory with rubber grips that are the same size and style as the stock 1911 checkered wood grips.  Do you think these might present a similar problem?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
AC: There was a guy in my CCW class a couple of weeks ago that had one of those, and I was REALLY impressed with how it handled and shot. The instructor was also, and proceeded to put 4 of 5 shots in the head of a silhouette target at 30yds. (The errant shot would have taken off an earlobe) If I can get the chief financial officer (my girlfriend) to part with the funds, I'll get one for concealed carry. Though I love my Beretta, I like the wound cavity potential of the .45.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#4]
It does feel good, doesn't it?  I took it out again yesterday, and I am even more impressed.  I propped up against a vertical post and shot at 25 yards.  It put 5 of 6 shots into a 2 inch group.  One 5 inch flyer was operator error. Isn't that kind of accuracy from a THREE-INCH barrel supposed to violate some law of physics?  

BTW, I just popped over to Kimber's site, and I noticed that the pics of the Ultra-Carry have a different magazine.  The website states that the UC comes with a 7-round mag, but mine came with a 6-rounder.  I have read that Kimber had problems with them and started using the 6'ers instead.  But this mag's baseplate sticks out further and is what is rubbing my pinky.  I think I will be ordering those Wilson mags in the morning....
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top