Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2010 4:49:51 PM EDT
I took a newbie shooting today and she enjoyed it. But, she is a lefty and everything I brought ( Sig, Glock, and an old High Standard .22 ) is set up for right handed people.

Does anybody make a good left handed pistol? She has small hands and is thinking about buying a handgun for personal defense. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used my Glocks extensively left-handed, never had a problem.  All about technique and muscle-memory.

That said, there are pistols such as the HK P2000 with controls that are fully ambi.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
HK P2000SK, P30, USPC, P2000  

Fellow Southpaw here.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
M&P can be switched to lefty mag release, three different grip inserts make it pretty easy to fit. I'd go 9c
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Manual transmission cars don't come with a lefty option, so everyone learns to drive it with their right hand. Same with a gun. If she learns to do it right handed from the beginning it will make life easier. At least with pistols.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
M&P can be switched to lefty mag release, three different grip inserts make it pretty easy to fit. I'd go 9c

+1
its one of the cheapest out there as well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That said, there are pistols such as the HK P2000 with controls that are fully ambi.

CZ85 is another.

ETA - Wait, scratch that: magazine catch is the same as the 75, not reversible. It has both an ambi safety and ambi slide lock.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
This guy shoots lefty with a non-lefty gun. You just have to adjust the method in which you do things.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#8]
If i was left handed i would probably get one of the newer HK pistols since they are totally ambi for controls.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:56:41 AM EDT
[#9]
HK P7 quite ambi, On the CZ85 or any mag release on the left side use the trigger finger to press the mag release.  The Beretta 92 and SIG 226/228 mag release are reversable.

CD
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:24:08 AM EDT
[#10]
bersa / firestorm ultra carry pro 9mm, 40, 45 are fully ambi and only $300.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:38:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Manual transmission cars don't come with a lefty option, so everyone learns to drive it with their right hand. Same with a gun. If she learns to do it right handed from the beginning it will make life easier. At least with pistols.

Unless she is left eye dominant. Do you know which of her eyes is the dominant eye? My wife is right handed but left eye dominant so I taught her to shoot handguns and long guns left handed.
If she is left eye dominant and left handed and wants a centerfire... M&P
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#12]
The FNP pistols are fully ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:59:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless she is left eye dominant. Do you know which of her eyes is the dominant eye? My wife is right handed but left eye dominant so I taught her to shoot handguns and long guns left handed.

You can still easily shoot handguns with your dominant hand if you're cross dominant. In your wife's case she could shoot right handed and just turn her head to the right, bringing her left eye into alignment with the sights. Larry Vickers does this, and the technique is mentioned in the 2nd edition of Tactical Pistol Shooting.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#14]
my gf shoots a sig 229 left handed.  she's got her own style how she operates the thing but it works.  i think HK's are pretty left handed friendly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can still easily shoot handguns with your dominant hand if you're cross dominant. In your wife's case she could shoot right handed and just turn her head to the right, bringing her left eye into alignment with the sights. Larry Vickers does this, and the technique is mentioned in the 2nd edition of Tactical Pistol Shooting.

I agree you can do it but it is much harder with a long gun. Since she was learning both from scratch, we went lefty from the git go.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just so we're clear, I'm left handed and left eye dominant. I shoot mostly with my left hand on right handed guns, but I can also shoot pistols right handed due to practice, as all it really involves is shifting the gun slightly. Rifles are a bit more complicated.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 10:26:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Charter makes left handed revolvers.

Walther PPS is pretty ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Ive only found ambi safeties to be advantageous to me as a lefty. I PREFER the placement of mag releases and slide stops on "right handed" guns, and cant quite figure out how you righties use them
That said, I have a thing for HKs. Good ergos(USP>M&P for me, P30) and I like the lever mag release a lot more than the button style. Plus, if its an HK with a safety, you can get one that is ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Glock or MP
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:33:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm a lefty, and all my guns are right handed versions. I just adopt and overcome with various tricks. Bolt action rifles however are a pain.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Left handed friendly guns

HK P2000
HK P2000SK
HK P30
HK 45
HK P7 PSP
HK P7 M8
HK P7 M13
HK P7 M10
HK USP with ambi safety or LH safety
Walther P99
Walther PPS
Walther P88 ambi slide release
Walther P5 ejects out the left side
Smith & Wesson M&P
Beretta 92FS
Beretta PX4
FN FNP & FNX series
CZ 75
1911 with ambi safety

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#22]
why get used to something that is different from what most people are using, that doesnt seem like a good idea from a training standpoint

im a lefty, when i shoot handguns i manipulate them however is necessary, reloading means using my left hand middle finger, its quite easy and came naturally very quickly, manipulating the safety on some weapons just takes practice too, i use my left hand-thumb to manipulate the right-hand safety of my 1911, again no ambi necessary
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#23]
As a lefty myself any handgun will do. Some may require an aftermarket part such as an ambi-safety, but other than that you are good to go.

NAD
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#24]
H K's the lever mag release is super fast for lefties.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top