Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2002 5:26:52 PM EDT
as i posted earlier my wife gave me a SA ultra compact today. The manual states that +p ammo should not be used in any 45 barrel less than 5" long.

What is the reason for this? Is it because the bullet clears the barrel before the velocity gets up to speed? Or will it actually damage a short barrel?

mike
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:02:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Slide speed may be too fast to reliably pick up rounds from the magazine, due to less mass (weight) and the increased speed that the slide will travel rearward, compress the recoil spring and then begin forward travel to battery
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I put the wilson recoil kit in my officers...they specifically advise not to use shock buffers....I believe both this and the + ammo question are basically the same...as c&l says....the restricted travel in the smaller frames.......I`m going to go through the colt manual again..I don`t remember any ammo warnings but will recheck.......see...it`s good to bring up these questions......keeps us from becoming..."complacent"..where you could be incorrect...(speaking for myself at least)...........
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 8:52:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Only thing the colt manual says is....."extensive use of +p ammo will result in premature wear of your pistol"......that`s it............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top