Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2002 12:09:35 PM EDT
I'd like to know what all the different branches of the military (everything from common street cop to the best of the special forces) carries as far as semi auto pistols go.  I'd imagine there are endless answeres, I'm just looking for a general summerization of what each carries here.

Thanks
GF
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The U.S. Coast Guard carries the Beretta M9. Good gun, but I wish that they would go back to a 1911A1.

Jamie
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The average grunt does not carry nor is issued a sidearm anymore.....under non combat conditions.....The std issue sidearm for regular army is berreta......(officers)....spec-ops....force recon etc. pretty much use what they want.....as long as approved by the specific dept.........
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 5:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]
The vast majority of issued sidearms for the US Military (all branches) is the 9mm M9, AKA the Beretta 92FS.  Investigative personnel and some others may be issued the 9mm M11, AKA Sig Sauer P228.  I believe some Spec Ops guys use the Heckler & Koch SOCOM 45.

I'm confused about your question however as you request info on the military but have common street cops in parenthesis.  Street cops are civilian law enforcement, the military is the military.  Night and day.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for the confusion. What I'm trying to get at is what weapon is issued to the majority of the people who use (or atleast carry) their side arm daily. That would include street cops, military police, and everything else where a side arm is issued (from the information provided it looks like it's the Berreta 92 FS and the Sig P228).  For seals, etc., I'd like to know what's the most common weapon of choice (assuming they get to choose), (looks like it's the HK SOCOM .45).

Thanks for the help, I was just interested in what our government (civilian law enforcement, and military) thinks is reliable and powerful enough to defend our country, neighborhoods, and homes on a daily basis.

This was compleetly for the purpose of quenching my thirst for knowlege.  I'm not asking you to choose a weapon for me like the hundreds you've probably seen, because that is my decision and I'm getting a springfield 1911 in a few weeks anyway.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I think that Glock has something like a 46% market share in the civilian law enforcement market.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:39:42 PM EDT
[#6]
OK Gun_Fanatic, I thought you were unsure of the military-civilian distinction.  You are obviously not, which is good.  Good choice on the Springfield 1911 .45, that's a nice pistol.  Actually, I believe some Spec Ops guys carry 1911 type .45's too if given the choice.

I gave you mostly US military info previously and since you're also interested in what civilian LE carries, I can answer at least partially for some of the bigger agencies in my state (NY) and local area.  

New York State Police: Glock 17 (9mm)
New York City PD: Glock 19 (9mm)
New York State Park Police: Glock 17 (9mm)
New York State AG's Office: Glock 23 (.40)
Albany City PD: S&W Auto (.40)
Saratoga County Sheriff's Dept: S&W Auto (.40)

I think Glock has a pretty strong market share in a lot of the US, my area included.  In many of the agencies that allow some personal choice for a sidearm, Glocks are popular with them as well.  I carry a Glock 32 (357) myself and like it a lot.

I'm sure some other people here can expand on this list for their locales.
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 5:55:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#8]
My city's police carry full-size HK USP 40's.  Now I know where all my tax dollars go.
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If you really want to know all the firearms issued to all of the federal police agencies, you're not going to find it on a forum.  Hell, it'll probably take you most of a day of searching on the net to even get a list of all the federal agencies that have police powers.

As mentioned before, the military issues the Beretta to most people and the Sig P228 to people that need a smaller gun such as plainclothes investigators.  

The Marines are still issuing some 1911s along with the Beretta.

The SEALs have been using Sig 226s for a long time, and they made a special order of Berettas a few years ago that have the heavier Brigadier slide and have the decocker disabled so they can be cocked and locked.  The action used in the Beretta makes it well suited to use with a sound suppressor.

The HK mk23 SOCOM pistol is apparently in use by somebody in the military, but I have no idea who actually uses it.

Most of the special ops guys can carry their own pistols so you could see one of them with just about anything.  1911s and Glocks are probably the two most popular.

FBI issues the Glock 23 to all new agents, but they have issued the Sig 226 and the S&W 1076 in the past and agents have a large list of pistols that they are allowed to carry if they buy it themself.

Border Patrol issues the Beretta 96FS.

Secret Service uses the Sig P229 in .357 Sig.

I recall my wife's uncle complaining about the forest service switching to the Sig 226 and he said he was keeping his S&W .357 revolver.

For all the others, who knows.  Glock, Sig and Beretta are easily the most popular but you could find just about anything out there somewhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top