Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 6:36:30 PM EDT
Here's a target that I shot today at 30 feet, the others all pretty much looked generally the same. I don't think that the sites on the gun are off. I experimented with tightening my grip as well as how much trigger finger I placed on the trigger. It didn't make too much of a difference (it might have been slightly better when I used less). What am I doing wrong. FYI it's a USP compact.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]
if its not the sights: trigger control and grip

h/w, opt for a professional to diagnose

some tips:  firm, consistant grip––high grip on the rear tang of the pistol, strong hand firm, but not 'strangling'; ''support'' hand clamping around the other side of the stocks, high hand, thumbs forward (or currled, etc) applying the majority of the grippage

smooth trigger press to the rear; repeat

PS: someone will eventually post that target which has "diagnosis" on it...its hit or miss; the only things that count are "sights" and "trigger manipulation"
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a consistant group, it's very possible the sights are off. If not, you need a bit more finger on the trigger as you're pushing off on the right side of the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...you need a bit more finger on the trigger as you're pushing off on the right side of the trigger.

When mine look like that it is because I have not gotten enough finger on the trigger and am pushing it to the left as I pull. If you do some dry fire work, it may become obvious.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't think the sights are off since my friend has shot it, and while they were all over the place it was centered on the target. I'd love to get some 1 on 1 professional help. I'll try experimenting with a more firm grip.
As far as my trigger finger,  everyone says to use the "pad". well were exactly on the pad are they talking? Also, is it possible that some people can't use the "pad" like a normal person?

Where on this pic should I be placing the trigger. I have on the medium fingers. Maybe on even on the smaller side.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay alphaghost, just for you.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't think the sights are off since my friend has shot it, and while they were all over the place it was centered on the target. I'd love to get some 1 on 1 professional help. I'll try experimenting with a more firm grip.
As far as my trigger finger,  everyone says to use the "pad". well were exactly on the pad are they talking? Also, is it possible that some people can't use the "pad" like a normal person?

Where on this pic should I be placing the trigger. I have on the medium fingers. Maybe on even on the smaller side.

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp343/jmanski/finger_swanneck_anatomy01.jpg

Between 3 and 4
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Okay alphaghost, just for you.  

http://shootingsafely.com/correction.jpg

thanks

lost it...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Alright I'll give the pad of my finger better consideration. As well as trying to pivot using the second joint. I never really thought about where I pivot for the trigger press.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Are you shooting one-handed or two-handed? If using two hands, try putting your left thumb along the side of the gun and exerting just a little pressure there. This tends to offset the 'too little trigger finger' situation.

Nice tight group, though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:48:07 AM EDT
[#12]
You're jerking the trigger.
All the bullshit about finger placement and grip adjustment is just that... BULLSHIT.
Go buy this DVD "Shooting Missology" .
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All the bullshit about finger placement and grip adjustment is just that... BULLSHIT.

I have the same problem with my targets and ive tried everything but finger placement. I make sure to squeeze the trigger smooth and check my grip. Everybodys differrent.
Maybe yours was trigger control and maybe his is finger placement. None of us can really pass the judgement because we werent there when he was shooting.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:01:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp343/jmanski/finger_swanneck_anatomy01.jpg

Between 3 and 4

I used to use part 2 of my trigger finger. I moved to part 4 and my groups centered.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:12:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm shooting two handed using the "thumbs forward" grip.
I'd try putting more pressure on the left side of the gun with my thumb, but that's right where my slide release is. And if I ride the release the slide will fail to lock back on the last round.

I know I need a lot more practice shooting, it's just too bad that it's not really affordable anymore. I do a lot of dry firing and I feel like my shots should be perfect.

I tried switching shooting hands as well and my groups were kinda to the right...
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#17]
i'd consider checking 2 things:

one: check your grip on your primary hand...it might be pushing it off slightly off to the opposite side (ie: your right hand pushing your shots off to the left, and your left hand pushing your shots off to the right); firm grip, drive the gun straight to the target with a consistant and strong grip on both hands, kind of like a "C'' clamp

trigger control: remember: firm, consistant press of the trigger STRAIGHT BACK to the rear––i'd suggest you do NOT use the tip of the pad of the finger, but slightly rearwards on the 1st distal appendage, just before the 1st  joint (around "4" and "5" on that pic of the finger above); the reason for this is b/c of the heavier DA pull of the USP...the main thing is to press straight to the rear and not fully curl your finger on the pull
also, keep the finger at the same place (physically) on the trigger for all your shots in Double Action AND Single action
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Cope Reynolds? That you?

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a friend who frequently pulls the gun to the left when squeezing the trigger instead of just pulling the trigger back w/o pulling the gun with it. He jerks the gun slightly and that causes his aim to be off. All of his groupings are also to the left. You might want someone to take a look to see how you are holding the gun as you squeeze the trigger. I have trouble with my revolver(autos im good) and im practicing, but im learning it maybe a little easier just to compensate where I aim instead of worrying about trigger squeeze.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Ya I think I might be pulling the gun to to side as I pull the trigger. For some reason It's hard for me to pull the trigger straight back. I guess my fingers need more coordination.

How "firm" should My grip be? I've heard some say that you need to squeeze the gun untill you're about to shake, they relax it a little bit. Others just say that the gun should not come out of your hand when fired. Without someone physically showing me how hard to grip I'm having difficulties. One a scale of 1-10 what should I be? With 1 being gently gripping as if I was holding a kitten and 10 being so strong that my hands are shaking.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:59:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top