Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 3:38:42 PM EDT
Just to let you know I have 3 1911's.
2 of them I use the 3rd one is having a case made for it, so I can retire it along with some momentos from my service in the Navy.
So with retiring of the Remington-Rand, I have been looking to replace it with something.
I already have a Kimber Custom II and a Colt series 80.
I am looking to keep it under $800.00.
I don't need or want a Wilson or a Les Baer.

1911's only give me your honest opinions, I am leaning towards a stainless version.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The Smith is stainless, has all the bells and whistles, and shoots well. I keep hearing bad things about SA quality control lately.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I voted for the Springfield, but I need to tell you that I have two Dan Wesson Patriot Experts and they are great guns.  I am not a great pistol shooter but the Patriot makes me look good....

About $800....I know you said Pointman, but check the Patriot....

Very nice...Bob Serva is a great guy.

Fit and finish is top notch on the Dan Wesson's.

HTH......
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:29:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Id buy the SA Loaded, in parkerized though.  Ive never been impressed with the metallurgy of stainless guns.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I voted for the Springfield, beacuase it is the only non USGI I am familiar with

though I am hearing good things about the Dan Wesson, and might get one for myself soon
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:18:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I can understand you not needing  a Les Baer or Wilson, but not WANT it?  I'd take the Smith just because it's different...  It it were a matter of tactical importance, life and death, I would dump one of your other pistols and get the Wilson or Les Baer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:42:49 AM EDT
[#7]
dpmmn, I'm surprised you are considering a stainless SA after that picture you showed me of the snapped slide.
I voted for the Dan Wesson. The 1911s they are currently putting out seem quite well done. A freind of mine ditributes DW and has had very few complaints. Of course he also sells SA and quite a few have been making there way back to SA through him (granted they sell quite a few more SA then DW).
I personnally would be leaning towards a Kimber stainless TLE.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Id buy the SA Loaded, in parkerized though.  Ive never been impressed with the metallurgy of stainless guns.

Would you expand on this? I thought I had my mind made up on a WC protector stainless.
    Nice Mohawk!!!!
 Bugler
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive owned, shot and seen too many semi autos from various manufacturers (S&W,Colt,Springfield) where the stainless construction has been an issue.  It obviously varies from manufacturer and depends on the steel they are using and how they treat and machine it, but Ive seen far too much galling, peening and even cracking in stainless.  I much prefer carbon steel with a good protective finish.  Ive never personally handled a stainless Wilson (although Im more than happy with my steel Wilson), so I cant vouch for the effects of long term shooting on their stainless guns.  Strangely enough this doesnt seem to occur with the various aftermarket barrels and internals from quality manufacturers from what Ive seen.  Ive had nothing but good luck with stainless match barrels, hammers, sears etc.  I dont have enough knowledge in metalurgy to offer an explaination.

BTW...thats not me in the avatar...Go rent Taxi Driver.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 12:16:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got 2 Dan Wessons myself.  10mm for me and 1 for my wife. With the Dan Wessons you can call the President (Bob Serva) and order what you want.  It takes about 10 weeks or buy off the shelf.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for the Dan Wessons. Bob Serva has really done wonders there and it's almost like it was when DB was there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ive owned, shot and seen too many semi autos from various manufacturers (S&W,Colt,Springfield) where the stainless construction has been an issue.  It obviously varies from manufacturer and depends on the steel they are using and how they treat and machine it, but Ive seen far too much galling, peening and even cracking in stainless.  I much prefer carbon steel with a good protective finish.  Ive never personally handled a stainless Wilson (although Im more than happy with my steel Wilson), so I cant vouch for the effects of long term shooting on their stainless guns.  Strangely enough this doesnt seem to occur with the various aftermarket barrels and internals from quality manufacturers from what Ive seen.  Ive had nothing but good luck with stainless match barrels, hammers, sears etc.  I dont have enough knowledge in metalurgy to offer an explaination.

BTW...thats not me in the avatar...Go rent Taxi Driver.

FUGEDABOWDIT!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 2:48:57 AM EDT
[#13]
No dilema at all, especially if you plan to do any work to it, they can all be made to perfection and to your preference.
I'm a stainless leanin' fella too.
Out of the box, perhaps the Dan would require the least amount of work, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:59:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Voted for the SA to me it's a no brainer, however wanted to note not the parkerized combat bottom of the line but the 1911A1 with match trigger, wood grips, adjustable rear sights etc.

Careful tough, I like this gun as well as my Kimber.

Tj
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Springfield.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Why no option for a Colt.  The new roll mark Colts are great.  I would venture to say the best regular production 1911 out there right now.  I just picked up a NRM commander and it is the berries.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#17]
He just got a Colt and was looking for something different for the next 1911.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top