Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 7:18:48 AM EDT
Anyone have or had a Colt Defender?  For some reason I've been thinking about adding one to the group.
I've been told about a possible problem with brass hitting the shooter in the forehead.  Maybe this has been fixed.
Looks like the new model changed grips.

Never shot one, but I, for some crazy reason, want one.
Help guys!      
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one. Its a nice size unit. Brass does hit you in the head on the one I have. Bad thing is, parts are not to be had.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have one. Its a nice size unit. Brass does hit you in the head on the one I have. Bad thing is, parts are not to be had.

Ooch,  What year is yours?  Parts thing does sound bad.  You would think Colt to have parts ready as this is a current model.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#3]
What sort of "parts" would you need? Most big-name 1911 parts suppliers should have the basic stuff, IMO.

As for the brass on your head, a simple tweaking of the extractor should take care of that.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What sort of "parts" would you need? Most big-name 1911 parts suppliers should have the basic stuff, IMO.

As for the brass on your head, a simple tweaking of the extractor should take care of that.

Thats what I thought.  Anyone made the fix?  How did it work?  Does it now hit you in the eye, or chin?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an Officers ACP which the Defender replaced in the Colt Stable. It's an outstanding weapon that I carry daily. Should you encounter any 1911 style pistol that ejects brass straight back into you face it will most likely be an ejector issue. A slightly longer ejector will cure the problem.

Any of these should do the trick.

Ed Brown
Kings
Wilson Combat

It's not hard to do, these guys have got a pretty good handle on a simple how to 1911forum

I say get yourself a Defender and give us a range report when can
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have an Officers ACP which the Defender replaced in the Colt Stable. It's an outstanding weapon that I carry daily. Should you encounter any 1911 style pistol that ejects brass straight back into you face it will most likely be an ejector issue. A slightly longer ejector will cure the problem.

Ed Brown
Kings
Wilson Combat

It's not hard to do, these guys have got a pretty good handle on a simple how to 1911forum

I say get yourself a Defender and give us a range report when can

Thanks man,
However I was hoping for a range test first. ha ha
Thanks again for the links.
Anyone have a new Defender?  Did Colt fix the brass problem?  Maybe the new update comes with a helmet.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#7]
My parts issue has nothing to do with the brass. I wanted a recoil rod and spring assembly. Mine was defective when the yahoo I bought it off of had assembled it improperly and damaged it. Colt said Brownells had them and Brownells said they did not, but they have been on order for over a year and they have received nothing defender specific even though they do list it as a out of stock item. Colt said that it might be a year before they had any and could fix it. No, an officers one will not swap, the Defenders recoil spring is shorter according to Colt. Wilson Combat said there was none on the aftermarket scene as there wasn't enough demand for the Defender.

But to be fair on reflection, this was over 2 years ago, they could be everywhere now.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My parts issue has nothing to do with the brass. I wanted a recoil rod and spring assembly. Mine was defective when the yahoo I bought it off of had assembled it improperly and damaged it. Colt said Brownells had them and Brownells said they did not, but they have been on order for over a year and they have received nothing defender specific even though they do list it as a out of stock item. Colt said that it might be a year before they had any and could fix it. No, an officers one will not swap, the Defenders recoil spring is shorter according to Colt. Wilson Combat said there was none on the aftermarket scene as there wasn't enough demand for the Defender.

But to be fair on reflection, this was over 2 years ago, they could be everywhere now.

So have you even been able to shoot it?  If so, how you you like it, aside from brass hitting you in the head?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone buy a new Defender in the last 6 mo?

bttt
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had one for a long time...years. Its great, I carry it, and have shot it alot. Buy one, they are fine pistols.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have had one for a long time...years. Its great, I carry it, and have shot it alot. Buy one, they are fine pistols.

Thanks much!                  
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought one brand new a couple of years ago.

I couldn't fire more than 2-3 rounds before stove-piping and/or failure to feed. All using factory new ammo and of different brands.

I returned it to Colt twice for check/repair. No luck.

I sold it and bought a HK USP .45.

I'll never get another defender.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I bought one brand new a couple of years ago.

I couldn't fire more than 2-3 rounds before stove-piping and/or failure to feed. All using factory new ammo and of different brands.

I returned it to Colt twice for check/repair. No luck.

I sold it and bought a HK USP .45.

I'll never get another defender.  

Not a good thing------- thinking
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 5:32:11 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Anyone buy a new Defender in the last 6 mo?

bttt

??

btt
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:52:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I have own a colt defender now for 4 years. No issues. Great gun. Just do not put the recoil spring in backwards. One side of the spring is captive, the other side is open. Open side should install toward the front.

If intrested here are some part numbers for the recoil spring asemble and the outer spring from colt.

SP577811 recoil assy
SP57779  Outer sping

Colt: 1-800-962-2658

Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:16:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have own a colt defender now for 4 years. No issues. Great gun. Just do not put the recoil spring in backwards. One side of the spring is captive, the other side is open. Open side should install toward the front.

If intrested here are some part numbers for the recoil spring asemble and the outer spring from colt.

SP577811 recoil assy
SP57779  Outer sping

Colt: 1-800-962-2658

members.cox.net/azcmp/def.jpg

Nice pic.  Have you seen the new grips?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 12:57:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Hey that's funny, my Defender has the forehead trajectory as well. I've had two gunsmiths try to fix and NADA with either-- including the all snobby Kings GW, I gave them TWO shots at it- squat!  

So this is a known issue?  CAN it be fixed?

Cheers

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 1:40:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hey that's funny, my Defender has the forehead trajectory as well. I've had two gunsmiths try to fix and NADA with either-- including the all snobby Kings GW, I gave them TWO shots at it- squat!  

Cheers

Should you encounter any 1911 style pistol that ejects brass straight back into you face it will most likely be an ejector issue. A slightly longer ejector will cure the problem.

Ed Brown
Kings
Wilson Combat

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:43:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Cheers

How old is your Defender?  Maybe the newest model has the fix.  Let us know if the longer ejector replacement works.
Does it have the new grips?  Best of luck.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#20]
SGB,
Apparently you glossed over the part where I said I took it to KINGS GUN WORKS and then had to go back AGAIN and they STILL could NOT fix it.  In the end they recommended sending it back to Colt AND they still charged me 50 bucks!

Goldtop,
I've had it since about '97 and shot it on and off as I was stationed at Ft.Hood.  I've all but given up on getting it fixed 'cause I'm not convinced anyone can, and I don't need to be charged another 50 bucks for that answer.

Cheers
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:14:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone get the new updated model Defender for Christmas?  Let us know how you like it?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top