Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2003 5:18:52 PM EDT
does anyone have a source/plans for a rack that would hold multiple pistols on a shelf in a safe? I could really use something like that to free up space in my safe.

tia,

Chris
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
brownells has what you are talking about.  It's a rubber coated wire thing that holds about 5 pistols if I remember correctly.

I saw it in the catalog.  Their website sucks ass when you are trying to find something.  Who ever designed it should have his cock kicked in!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:43:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]
no kidding, it does suck, so if anyone knows who the manufacturer is or the part #, please let me know.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here you go:

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1604&title=HANDGUN+RACK&s=5985#5985

Had it in a saved cart

you are the man!!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a plastic coated metal dish rack at Walmart for around $5 and it holds 8 pistols as I recall.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#6]
This is what I use and it works very well, I bought a fishing rod holding rack and then bought some 3" wide oak and cut them to proper length, then screw the rack to it, the whole thing lays on the shelf with the oak as the base, handguns line up perfectly and are held in place with the foam. You can only use the one piece with the foam of the two in the pic. Just squeeze the barrel or slide into the foam slot.

www.westforthsports.com/ProductImages/fishing/accessories/berkley-vertical-rod-rack.jpg
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I found a rubber or plastic coated  wire plate rack at "The Container Store"  It is heavy duty and comes in varies sizes( width) ie 4 plates or six plates.  I got the larges size, it rests on  shelves and was about $7 bucks. same concept as HiramRanger plate rack.  works great ,looks good  and less expensive then Brownells type shown above in posts.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd like to use some type of pegboard, or something on the inside of the safe DOOR, to save shelf space for other larger things.  Any ideas about that?  

I guess I could screw some pegboard to the inside of the safe door, and use hanging hooks thru the triggerguards or some such.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'd like to use some type of pegboard, or something on the inside of the safe DOOR, to save shelf space for other larger things.  Any ideas about that?  

I guess I could screw some pegboard to the inside of the safe door, and use hanging hooks thru the triggerguards or some such.

Only thing that would worry me would be drilling into the safe door. Think it would effect the function of the lock or heat performance?

How about a big white room with many large gun racks with MP5's, UZI's, AR's, AK's and all the major pistols hanging off them...
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I bought a plastic coated metal dish rack at Walmart for around $5 and it holds 8 pistols as I recall.

Ditto.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only thing that would worry me would be drilling into the safe door. Think it would effect the function of the lock or heat performance?

Well on my safe, the inside of the door is just a metal panel, that is screwed on to the frame of the door.  So I would only be drilling (self tapping screws probably) into the metal panel.  I wonder if I should add some kind of fire-protection on the inside of the door.  Only thing keeping me from doing that is not wanting to get crud (gypsum) in the lock mechanism.  As it is, the safe offers me 60 minutes at 1200 degrees fire protection.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:08:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Something like this is what I am interested in getting eventually.

www.gun-racks.com/pistolracks.html
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:38:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Something like this is what I am interested in getting eventually.

www.gun-racks.com/pistolracks.html

Why not build it? It would be a piece of cake to build.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Oak or acrylic  pistol  racks, scroll half way down:

www.oregontrailsafeco.com/options.html

I have the acrylic. It has a padded inside base.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought a rack/stand, and would sell it for a song and a dance, took up too much room and held too damn few.

Toeman, you are starting to scare me.

My safe had a matching liner that was screwed in. I went to Lowes and got a sheet of pegboard. Cut it to size and used the existing screws, added washers.

I bought some regular hooks, and some rubber type metal dip stuff. Dipped the hooks and went like hell.

I like it a lot because I can move the hooks at will to suit the dimensions of the handguns and support the layout to maximize storage.

Link Posted: 11/16/2003 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Toeman, you are starting to scare me.

My safe had a matching liner that was screwed in. I went to Lowes and got a sheet of pegboard. Cut it to size and used the existing screws, added washers.

I bought some regular hooks, and some rubber type metal dip stuff. Dipped the hooks and went like hell.

I like it a lot because I can move the hooks at will to suit the dimensions of the handguns and support the layout to maximize storage.

Holy sheet.  I did The Exact Same Thing.

Sure frees up some shelf space
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:55:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks schweet Gloftoe
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's another rack that may give you some ideas.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I'm looking for a better way to arrange the things.  Hanging them by just the triggerguard is easy, but it sure takes up a LOT of space.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:26:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Whoa!  Hey kids...?

You are putting your pistols into racks that are coated with PLASTIC?

Your safe may be 'fire rated' to 350 degrees, but that means your safe is getting hotter and hotter all the way up to the cut off point.

Plastic melts BELOW 350.  Maybe you should think twice about putting your pistols in to racks full of potentially molten plastic.  If you have an intense fire it's gonna be a bitch to clean the plastic off those guns.

Especially if your guns are on the door.  Heat vents from the bottom to the top as the door warps under intense heat.

TRG

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Went to Container Store yesterday and bought a 6 or 7-gun rack and/or dish rack for $3.99 + tax.

Work great, now I have a little bit more room.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top