Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2003 6:01:23 AM EDT
The finish on the extractor of my USP45 has flaked off.  The extractor was the only part affected.  The finish on the rest of the gun is good as new.  The finish came off last night when I was cleaning the pistol.  I was using Breakfree and a standard issue military green, plastic brush.  The extractor now is kinda copper colored.  Has this happened to anyone else?  It hasn't affected the function of the pistol, but my pistol looks new, eccept for the extractor.  If this has happened, then how can I fix without sending it off somewhere?  Thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:18:01 AM EDT
[#1]
DON'T send it to HK. I sent them a discolored (brownish)USP40 slide once and they sent me back the crappiest, gloss black spray paint job I've ever seen.

If it were me, I'd try a few things at home. First I'd remove the extractor, clean and degrease. Then I'd try to blue it with touch up bluing. If that failed I'd use some Brownell's Teflon/Moly black paint or Alumihyde II.

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey Twire, how hard is ii to remove the extractor?  Never done it on a USP.  I've heard that HK's customer service isn't the greatest so I wasn't going to send it back.  Besides, it really ain't that big of a deal.  Now your slide is a whole nother story.  That sucks that HK chose to cheap out instead of fixing your problem correctly.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:27:41 AM EDT
[#3]
As I recall, it was a simple procedure. I'm doing this from memory, without a USP in front of me. After removing the slide, use a small punch to drive the roll pin out (holds in the extractor). It helps to apply a little pressure to the mid/rear of the extractor while driving out the roll pin, because the small spring at the rear of the extractor will shoot out when you remove your punch. The roll pin doesn't necessarily need to come completely out of the slide to free up the extractor. That will save you some headaches during reassembly.

I would also use this opportunity, once the extractor is out, to polish the breech face. I used 1500 grit paper on a popsicle stick and a felt bob on a dremel (with white rouge or Kit scratch out).

To replace, drop the extractor spring back in the hole and place the extractor back in the slot. Again apply sideward pressure to the mid/rear of the extractor to line up the holes, and drive the roll pin home. Make sure none of the roll pin protrudes from the bottom (internal) portion of the slide.

Such is the glory of external extractors. Now that I am learning a little about 1911's, I can appreciate the simplicity of external extractors.

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks dude.  For as much as I paid for this thing you'd think they would put a decent finish on the ectractor.  
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#5]
this is my biggest complain about my USP's.  even though most people don't notice it, it looks like crap to me.  A local FFL just suggested I go over it with a marker, since you cant blue it.  it doesn't last very long and when you oil it it comes off.  I hate it.  I have a 93 USP also and on that one I just go over it with perma blue and it turns black no problem.  the extractor was different then and did not have the loaded chamber indicator.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top