Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2003 4:53:41 AM EDT
So, how many here have one?  What's your experience with it?  I've heard a lot of good things, and a few bad, but think I'll be getting one or two of these pistols, since the price is right (around $150 each).  

Link Posted: 11/7/2003 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#1]
My best friend had one that I shot alot and it was a real good shooter. All steel and this is one of the good Star's on the market.  The other real good Star in 9mm is the 30M. It is a bit heavy but it is reliable and accurate. Look into one of those also.  I owned a 30m for years. The only reason I sold it was because of it's weight and traded it for a Browning HP.

Link Posted: 11/7/2003 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Picked up one a couple of weeks ago in a local store for $149 - very god condition & came in original box with papers and an extra magazine.   I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, so no idea how good it is, but...

I have a few Star firearms and have always had good service out of them.  I see them derided as "pieces of crap" by some folks, but that has not been my experience.  I have a pair of PD .45s (love them), a full-size 9mm (Model A, I believe), and a Model S .380 (this was my wife's purse gun at one time) - I even have a Model 110 .22 rifle (nifty, unique little rifle).  Based on my good experiences with these others, I didn't hesitate to buy this BM.  If it is as good as my others, it was quite a bargain...
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 6:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a new one about 15  years ago at Walmart.  It worked well for the first 100 or so rounds.  The link stretched out and I had all sorts of problems. I was told the steel was too soft.  Mine may have been a lemon though.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses guys.  I've heard a few bad things, but the good outweighs them significantly.  The 'neat factor' also comes into play.  I may be going up to Dallas this weekend to pick up a pair of them, should my fundage work out right.  I found a thread on another board that some people have provided part numbers for some common failures (firing pin, extractor) and also found that Wolff makes springs that will fit this gun.  (Factory is 12lb, Wolff has a 14 and 16lb.  I might go with a heavier spring to help reduce wear, if they will cycle normally.  I figure they will.. My CZ uses a 14lb spring, and probably has a heavier slide, so the same should function in a lighter gun)

I'll post pics and range reports soon!  
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#5]
On which board did you find the information about parts?  I have one and wouldn't mind getting a few extra parts just in case.

I like mine.  It's a good shooter.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
On which board did you find the information about parts?  I have one and wouldn't mind getting a few extra parts just in case.

I like mine.  It's a good shooter.

Over in the Autoloaders forum on www.thehighroad.org.  You might have to go back a few pages... the title of the thread is something like "just got a Star BM from AIM surplus".

Or here:
from Numrich (www.e-gunparts.com)

Firing pin #725790 $13.35
Extractor #3715800 $16.05

I think they have grips too.. not sure about any other parts, but you may want to get a spare pin and extractor.  I will be trying to get a couple.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top