Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2003 1:23:07 PM EDT
My wife has been looking for a while, and she's finally narrowed the choices down to these 9mms: HK USP9, Beretta 92 Vertec, Walther P99 / S&W SW99.

She'll mainly be using it for target shooting & home defense, but will sometimes be carrying it.

What are your thoughts on these four as far as dependability, accuracy, concealability and usability? One of her only negative comments was concerning the HK: its trigger pull was a little stiff & long for her (no comments here
Thanks for your help,
DC
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:38:12 PM EDT
[#1]
sig p226 are very nice pistols.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I know you said no CZ's...

But if I were you I would SERIOUSLY consider looking at the CZ P01.

Its a compact 75 with a full lenght dust cover and a rail.

I would have never bought a CZ before I saw this pistol, infact I chose it over a walther P99.  Already have a beretta, and love it, but it sure is one big handgun.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Based on what you've listed, I'd say the Walther may be the better overall choice due to the changeable backstrap to fit her hand.

Walther now makes a compact as well, in case you didn't know yet.

A Sig P-225 or P-239 would also be fine choices for a woman with small hands.

The 92FS is a bit too big for a carry gun, IMO, but is a damn fine gun.

S&W also makes the Ladysmith in a 9mm semi.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the Kahr's.

www.kahr.com

Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:02:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I am a 5'10" 200lb male and concealing a 92 is possible but if someone knows what there looking for and is looking they'll find it.  So if your wife does not meet or exceed those dimensions I'd say look at something smaller.  If your response is that this is for off body carry (purse, planner, etc) I would caution you that this is a very bad idea.  How many times has your wife left her purse somewhere?  Also this is usually a fairly slow presentation.  I'd say get back to the shopping stages and look at a Kahr even the T9 would be much more concealable than any gun you have listed.  I've found that big guns don't truly conceal they just kinda cover up.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Has she thought about the HK USP9 Compact with or without the LEM option?
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#7]
p99 its the best, in my opinion!
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:35:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Has she thought about the HK USP9 Compact with or without the LEM option?

What he said. OR what about the P2000?

That has interchangeable backstraps also.

Have her check to see what fits her the best.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Of the ones listed, I would have to choose the Vertec.  Install a lighter mainspring and maybe the LTT speed bump trigger to get rid of the plastic factory part.

The trigger of the P99/SW99 is pretty foul, at least on the ones I've handled.  The same's true of the USP's I've seen, though at least it has a SA mode that isn't bad.

I would have her check out the XD-9 and XD-9 subcompact.  The XD's feel good in the hand, and the trigger reach and weight should be favorable to someone with smaller hands.  I know my wife prefers the XD's to all of my DA/SA pistols.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
sig p226 are very nice pistols.

I second this; get one with a blackened stainless steel slide.  Just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#11]
How do they fit her hand? Get the one that fits the best.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:17:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the replys! After all that, I think she settled on a CZ P-01 (yeah, I know; "a woman's perogative" right?)

A very nice gent that works at the local range & shop was kind enough to let her shoot his P-01 and she really liked the feel. I gave it a few rounds myself and I was extremely impressed. I've probably only shot a total of 300 rounds in my life, and all 10 shots from this CZ were within a 1 3/4" diameter at 7 yards.

Thanks again, your replys definitely helped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top