Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2003 9:38:07 AM EDT
I like the FN Five Seven; how come FN doesn't sell it to civilians, is there some law against that? There are lots of pistols that fire rifle calibers such as .44 mag colt python and the .44 mag carbine rifle. Now you have handguns with huge loads like the .50 also.

So is this just FN company policy? why? If its just company policy that means a US manufacturer could make a clone of the five seven and sell it to civilians legally? Heres a link for some info on it:

www.fnhusa.com/contents/hg_fiveseven.htm=
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Good question.  Any opinions on this ammo?  The pistol would be worthless, actually, until the AWB sunsets (no preban 20 round mags available, I'm assuming).

The 5.7x28mm SS190 ammunition has been designed to bridge the gap between the 9mm ammunition and the 5.56 x 45mm. The 9mm FMJ round will not penetrate modern body armor and the 5.56mm (.223 Rem.) rifle ammunition creates over-penetration concerns in a close combat situation or urban warfare [bullshit?]. The SS190 has unique design, utilizing two metal inserts. The tip of the ogive has a steel penetrator followed by an aluminum core that is heavier than the forward tip. This causes the bullet to tumble in soft body tissue after 2 inches of penetration. This design virtually eliminates the risk of over penetration. This also creates a large wound cavity and quick incapacitation.

The SS190 will perforate 48 layers of Kevlar up to 200 meters when fired from the P90 and achieve the same result up to 50 meters with the Five-seveN handgun. The 5.7 ammunition has only 60% of the recoil impulse of a 9mm. The muzzle velocity of the SS190 is 2,346fps when fired from the P90 and 2,133fps with the Five-seveN. Tracer, Sub Sonic, Training and Blank ammunition available. Ammunition is supplied in the U.S. by Olin.

Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I think cmmg sells them to civilians. The problem is with the ammo though. The armor piercing ammmo is restricted to LEO and military. CMMG also sells some FMJ ammo but from what people say, the ammo is only worth while if its armor piercing. And even then out of the five-seven isnt really all that great. But if you really really want one. Here ya go.
cmmd
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:30:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmm.  $1300 and almost no ammo available.  I bet those are going out the door like free meat in a butcher shop.

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:37:13 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a big fucking expensive .22 magnum.  I played with one at Knob Creek and was definitely underwhelmed.  Shitty sights, horrible trigger, and an ineffective round..sign me up!
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:40:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Stop me if I'm wrong but haven't we seen this idea before?  The let's make a gun that holds more, smaller bullets but spits them out really fast idea that is.  I'm willing to bet that this exact same argument was going on with our fathers when the wonder-nines came out versus the single stack .45's.  Also this is not the only gun that shoots bottleneck FMJ at lighting fast speeds.  I draw your attention to the CZ-52 imminently cheaper, ammo readily available, and no need to worry about hi-caps, there aren't any.  There's even a guy out there that did a sabot 5.56 round can't remember where I saw it but do a search of CZ-52 smiths and I'm sure it will show up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#6]
This has been discussed before.  The pistol itself is legal to own.  Its the post-ban high capacity magazine and the ammunition that has armor piercing capabilities that are illegal to own.  So if you want to purchase one, which I believe there has been one for sale at one point, your basically buying a firearm for a static display, because until the 1994 AWB is taking out you will not be able to purchase high capacity magazines, and I am unsure whether or not they have made a 10 rd. magazine, and you would have to wait until they manufactured ammunition that is not armor piercing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info. I had heard that it wasn't even legal to own, so thats really cool,I wasn't really looking to buy one, I just blew all my money tricking out my colt 45.

Its a nice gun but It sounds like its useless without the armor piercing bullets which was all I heard about it and its ability to pierce vests.  I think we should be able to buy armor piercing ammo, does anyone know if its legal to make your own as long as you don't sell it?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#8]

I think we should be able to buy armor piercing ammo, does anyone know if its legal to make your own as long as you don't sell it?

Armor piercing pistol ammo is illegal for civilians. However,
Your mentioned Colt .45 will break some ribs of someone wearing a vest if you hit outside the trauma plate, either way they'll fall down. Then you can reposition and get an easy head shot. (Of course those execution shots are hard to explain to the judge )
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think we should be able to buy armor piercing ammo, does anyone know if its legal to make your own as long as you don't sell it?

Armor piercing pistol ammo is illegal for civilians. However,
Your mentioned Colt .45 will break some ribs of someone wearing a vest if you hit outside the trauma plate, either way they'll fall down. Then you can reposition and get an easy head shot. (Of course those execution shots are hard to explain to the judge )

If your ever in a situation where your shooting someone wearing a bullet proof vest, your not going to be worrying about the judge
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:03:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If your ever in a situation where your shooting someone wearing a bullet proof vest, your not going to be worrying about the judge

True, I wouldn't be thinking about judges if firing at someone, vest or no vest. The headshot remark I wrote was thrown in with the 'smartass' icon because I was being a smartass.

What do you mean about a bullet proof vest shooting situation though? Gomer Pile can pick up a bullet proof vest in the equipment exchange forum, or it could be a plain clothes officer...
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 9:32:58 PM EDT
[#12]
It fires the same round as the P90.  I believe FN created the pistol to allow them to call the P90 a sub-machine gun.  The Secret Service has been looking at this weapon for some time now as a carry pistol to replace their Sig 229 .357sig.  I don't think it would be a good choice.  It just doesn't have the knockdown power.  

It will slip through a vest with out much of a fight, though.  Not sure if that's something the public should be able to get their hands on or not.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It fires the same round as the P90.  I believe FN created the pistol to allow them to call the P90 a sub-machine gun.  The Secret Service has been looking at this weapon for some time now as a carry pistol to replace their Sig 229 .357sig.  I don't think it would be a good choice.  It just doesn't have the knockdown power.  

It will slip through a vest with out much of a fight, though.  Not sure if that's something the public should be able to get their hands on or not.  

Going thru a vest or not,  the round is basically worthless unless it's in the p90.
I believe Troy or Brou said(and provided studys)it's wounding capability is the same or not much better than the .22lr.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:44:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#15]
SIG GSR 1911 all the way!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top