Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2003 5:59:48 AM EDT

I went to the Tampa Fairgrounds fun show on Sunday, with the intent to buy a small but powerful and reliable pistol for my CW, as I recieved my permit in the mail about a month ago, and until now have only owned full size autos.  At the time I was specifically thinking of a Glock 36.

I went to the Weapons Unlimited Inc row, because these guys have a huge selection, are knowledgeable about what they sell, and usually have decent prices.

I was hoping to find something I could easily carry in an ankle holster, because at work I wear a tucked in T-shirt, wide leg jeans, and combat boots.  Ankle carry seemed like the best option.

The young fella at the table suggested either a Kahr M9 (I think) or Kel-tec .32.  I had heard good things about both, but never shot either.  I liked the Kahr, but it only held 5+1, and cost $600.  The Kel-tec was plenty small enough, but I just have a bad feeling about any caliber smaller than 9mm.  

In the end, after walking around some more, I finally purchased a Glock 29, which is the compact 10mm, with a 10-rnd mag.  This weapon is much bigger than I initially preferred, but I have heard such great things about the 10mm cartridge, plus I liked the idea of carrying something a little unusual.

Once I got home, I found that the ankle holster was uncomfortable, easily seen, and I was constantly kicking it with my other leg, not to mention slow to draw.  Now I am just carrying it in a belly band, between my undershirt and T-shirt, tucked most of the way into my jeans.  It is actually pretty hard to see, though it is uncomfortable to wear while sitting down.

So, am I stupid to carry something that big, when I can't even carry it like I initially preferred?  Or did I pick a good hard-hitting weapon and cartridge, which will make my enemies quiver in fear, if I ever have to draw it in self defense?  Any thoughts are appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Good pistol, good powerful load. I love my 29.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#2]
you got a good gun.  just the wrong holster.
besides when the s hits the f you want the gun near your hand not at your ankle.  i would buy some cargo shorts and drop the gun in one of the pockets.  have fun, shoot safe.

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:10:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, now you know how great ankle holsters are - just try it for a few days, the feeling that you're walking around like Frankenstein combined with the paranoia you feel of the gun falling out of you pants leg everytime your in the grocery store fades.

I wouldn't think a G29 would be good for ankle carry (never tried it though), but I will say that picking up a G29 doesn't make you an idiot by any stretch of the imagination.

Expecting your enemies to quiver in fear upon you drawing it however...
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#4]
have you tried the boot lock holster?

bootlock.com

Since you wear boots you might like it. I have been thinking about trying one. Has anyone tried one?

Dont mean to hijack the thread.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Tiny little guns in ankle holsters are what you wear when you can't be seriously armed. They are better than nothing, but not by a whole lot if they are your only gun. I have seen several with which the gun fell out and / or where the holster came off the leg during scuffles.

308wood is right...when the SHTF you want the gun where you can get it quick without fumbling, etc. That means at the waist in some fashion.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

bootlock.com

Not sure how much help a software company is going to be in this situation.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#7]
try this: www.smartcarry.com
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'd be a little hesitant about having my gun pointing down at my jewels all the time. Although I hear great things about it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 11:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]

I don't own a Smartcarry holster, but I wear my belly band in almost the exact same manner.  The butt of the pistol just barely sticks out above my jeans, and really can't be seen when I wear the T-shirt tucked in loosely.

I will probably end up trying to sell the ankle holster on the EE or something.  BTW, I didn't see the bootlock holster you were talking about, KCOCXA, but if you are referring to the holster that laces into combat boots, I asked about that one at a Glock table, and was told that the company was out of business.  That was the first holster that came to mind when I considered ankle-carry.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:19:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Am I an idiot? (Please answer 'no'.)

'no'

Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:25:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#12]
After reading the thread about AD's & glocks, I'd make damn shure you have an awesome holster if its anywhere down the pants.. :O
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Photographers vests make for great CCW attire. Lots of pockets, they're light weight & look low key.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

bootlock.com

Not sure how much help a software company is going to be in this situation.

Hey you never know when you might need what they offer in SHTF scenario.

But seriously sorry try this

www.bootlock.com
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:31:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd be a little hesitant about having my gun pointing down at my jewels all the time. Although I hear great things about it.

I've got one and like it.
It doesn't point at the jewels. Its out in front of them.
I'm small framed (165# 5'7") and my s&w99 doesn't print as long as I'm wearing a shirt. (The bottom of the mag prints a bit just below the belt line). If I go shirtless then the ppk goes with. It doesn't print at all.
Then again my state doesn't believe in CCW, so I wouldn't think of wearing it outside the privicy of my house.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:55:39 PM EDT
[#16]

After wearing the belly band for about 10 hours at work today, I think I am definitely going to get that Smartcarry holster.  The Glock was digging into my manhood the entire time, and I kept having to shift it around (the Glock) when nobody was looking.  Thanks for the suggestion, W-W.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#17]
You should spend as much if not more time and money finding the right mode of carry for your pistol/body type. Those of us who have been carrying for quite a while have gotten good at knowing what will and won't work. Some simple rules:

1. Keep the weapon as close to the center of your body as possible.

There is a reason why man has carried stuff on his hip for thousands of years --- It is easiest to get to at the hip. Pistols are no different.

2. Buy clothing with the specific goal of concealing weapons.

If you wear jeans a lot like I do, then buy the jeans with relaxed fit and maybe a size too big. This aids in concealing pocket holsters and IWB holsters. Wearing an untucked t-shirt and a pair of Levis, I can conceal 3 handguns EASILY. Work with lots of different sizes and styles of clothing until you get a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

3. Avoid gimick holsters!

Traditional hip holsters and IWB holsters work the best for concealing a handgun with the right clothing. Pocket holsters are ok, but you need to be careful with them as well. Ankle and shoulder holsters have never worked well for me, though SOB carry is OK, especially for a backup piece.

4. Whatever you carry/wear, practice getting it out!!

Practice drawing from concealment. This is a must.

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Try the Galco body glove, I think...neoprene band lined with lifelike sheepswool and a leather holster...very comfortable...the pistol you picked is a bit big but now you know why most of us have a box full of holsters we can't use.
Bill
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#19]
This is the best combo going for ankle carry:

Ultra light snubby (5 -shot .38Spl) used with an Alessi ankle rig.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Try the Galco body glove, I think...neoprene band lined with lifelike sheepswool and a leather holster...very comfortable...the pistol you picked is a bit big but now you know why most of us have a box full of holsters we can't use.
Bill

.....with a Colt Mustang Pocketlite.  That is what I have for the rare occasions when an ankle holster is what I want to use.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Might want to try a concealed carry fanny pack. I got one from Dillon Precision ($50) and it works GREAT. I've walked into many places (including gunshops that want you to clear you weapon B4 entering and shopping malls) and NOBODY says a word to me. I carry a Sig P239 (which really ISN'T a small handgun) and I don't always wear britches that require a belt, so the CCW fanny pack really works well for me. Personally, I wouldn't carry a handgun anywhere else other than at my waist. Cheap shoulder holsters suck (I have one), and the comfortable ones cost as much as a new gun.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I wear a full size 1911 in a belly band all day, I just slide it over to 3 o:clock where my regular IWB holster goes and leave my shirt tucked in but a little baggy and no one knows I'm carrying.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#23]
One of the reasons why I got a Kahr P40 is because it is so thin that I can wear it all the time on my belt line with a t-shirt in a Bianchi #100 holster.  You just can't see it and it is light enough that the holster works fine even without a belt.
I have Thunderwear, but really only use it in the summer when I want to carry more gun than the Kahr.
In the winter I carry the Kahr or the Keltec P11 or a Walther P99 or SigPro (I really like plastic guns for carry!) in a pancake holster under a jacket.

Edited to add that you will find that for most people one pistol/holster/carry method won't work for all situations.  I use 6 different pistols a pile of different holsters and a bunch of different carry methods depending on what I'm doing or what the activity level will be.  The solution will really be what works for you, what you are willing to put up with discomfort wise and what your situation is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top