Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 2:19:53 PM EDT
Well, I'm consistently shooting low right, but it becomes REALLY pronounced at 25 yards. I've been mixing Snap Caps into my mags, can't see any recoil anticipation. I've used every part of my finger from the tip to the knuckle to press, can't seem to make a difference. What else? Could I be tightening my grip somewhere else when I'm breaking the shot? I'd say I'm shooting six inches right and four inches low at 25, usually a group not too much bigger than a palm print but sometimes all over. It gets better when I settle into it, terrible cold.

I've seen the bullseye chart, but that's for one handed shooting, right?

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Adjust your sights?

If you're consistently shooting in the same place, that sounds like the proper thing to do.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:25:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Try a bigger target.  

Seriously, if you have done everything you can think of, try letting another shooter try it out.  If you both get the same results, it is the weapon, not you.   If he shoots it dead nuts, then videotape yourself from several different angles while shooting.  The camera may pick up something you are missing.

Best of luck.  I hope you get it squared away.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Slow down.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#4]
maybe check your natural point of aim.  aim at the target as if your going to shoot, lower the weapon and close your eyes, raise up your weapon as if to fire at the target.

keep your eyes closed and stand comfortably now, open your eyes, chances are your not pointing exactly at the target.  (the closing your eyes part keeps you from 'cheating')

to bring your sights to the target move your feet so that your 'natural point of aim' is on target.  

if your natural point of aim is off you are (without realizing it) turning your torso to face the target and your body is subconciously trying to turn back.  this can cause erratic groups especially at 25 yards and beyond.

(i hope i explained that ok)
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:28:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#7]
use the open eye to look through the optics
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:20:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't death grip the gun.  The pinky, and ring finger should be firm but not tight.  They will drag the muzzle down.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#9]
You know how they always say "keep your eye on the ball and follow through" for sports?

SAME THING WITH shooting.

Concentrate on that front sight.  Look at it the entire time, until the recoil of the gun makes it move.  

If you're flinching AND following through, you'll be able to actually see it.

I corrected a very minor trigger pull issue by doing this.  Just follow through the shot, and keep your eye on the sight until the recoil makes it move...and try not to blink
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Don't death grip the gun.  The pinky, and ring finger should be firm but not tight.  They will drag the muzzle down.

I bet this is why my recent outing (and first REAL time at the range with pistols) resulted in me shooting the G26 much better than the G19. On the 26 my pinky and ring fingers had nothing to overgrip.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If ya dont mind my asking, what weapon are ya shooting?  I may have missed it after 12 hours of work.......but I dont think ya mentioned it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm taking my time, lowering the weapon and resting it between shots, watching my breathing, natural point of aim, try to be as cognizant of trigger control as possible. I'm seeing the muzzle flash and following the front sight. I've been mostly running a 229R in 9mm but it's happening with my Ruger MKI that I bring with me to keep down ammo costs too. So I don't think it's the weapon. I'm not a "new" pistol shooter, but I've never been stellar and am trying to improve. I guess I need to take the 1911 out, never had this problem with it.

I've recently adjusted my grip somewhat, switching from primarily shooting a 1911 to the Sig. High thumb on a Sig means that sometimes you don't get slide lock. But I can sit here and dry fire forever and the sight picture looks good when the trigger breaks. I dunno, maybe I'm thinking about it too much at 25 and am anticipating just slightly, maybe both pistols are shooting low right...

Something else: I've recently been concentrating on shooting with both eyes open. I did it with one eye for years and have kinda been half ass converting for a while, but have really been concentrating on it now. Dunno if that could make a difference. Maybe I need to go back to the Vaseline smear....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Have someone else who's experienced fire a few rounds to make sure it's not the sights or the gun.

Also, are you right- or left-handed?  If the gun and sights are good, I'm guessing you're a lefty.

Using the snap caps is a good idea, but have someone else load your mags so you will truly be surprised.  Sometimes when we're at the range, a buddy and I load each others' mags and pepper in snap caps to make sure we're not flinching, and also to practice our FTF drills.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 4:28:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Oddly enough I've found that moving from one eye closed to both open DID change where my groups hit. In my case, it moved my 25 yd group to the right if I remember correctly.

Basically it sounds like you're doing most of the basics just fine if you're holding palm sized groups at 25 yds. If you're really conssistent in where your groups land, adjust the sights and move on. If later on, you change your style and the groups move again, tweak the sights. My theory? Don't mess with consistency.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top