Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 3:11:44 AM EDT
Hi, I'm looking for a pistol, preferably 9mm or .45. I've been looking mostly at the USP 45 and the Sig P226. I haven't really compared the 2, but I'm wondering what others would be a good choice? Don't wanna spend much more than a grand. Have shot Glocks and I'm not too crazy about them.... what to do?
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:17:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Ya want a pistol, but haven't compared the 2 choices ya list, "ya silly rabbit" ......., I see a gun-show in your future where you can handle and compare the way the pistols feel in your hand and weight of each.

1911, is always a good choice if ya don't have one, I like Kimbers, YMMV.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 3:21:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Often thought about a Kimber, but I'd have to spring for the biggest best one there is! Don't know why, but I'm not crazy about the standard models. What I'd really like to get my paws on is a Python Elite 6".... oooh baby....
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same problem with the Kimbers.. Wanted the biggest and best but couldn't afford much more than the bone-stock.. I laid down a deposit on a Stainless, and plan on adding bells and whistles as need and want and personal taste dictate.  
 If you're looking at USP's, don't forget about the USP Compact.  The USP I fired was superb, but enormous in my small hands.  The Compact feels like it was made for me though.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
You may even look for a gunshop with a range that rents handguns.
Sometimes holding one in your hand is not quite the same as when actually firing it.
Other things come into play...sight picture, trigger pull or long term comfort during a prolonged shooting session, for example.
Not sure of the intended uses, but both of your aforementioned choices are respectable.
Not being sure between a .45 or 9MM kinda makes you easier to please at least in that regard.
And I wish my 6" nickled Python was an Elite, I just keep wishin'.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're leaning towards 9mm, the Sig P226 is a choice I would have recommended even if you hadn't mentioned the guns you've been looking at.
As far as .45, the USP is too chunky for me, just personal preferance, a lot of good shooters love 'em. I'm for 1911s in .45, but as you were getting at, they can break the bank if you fall in love with 'that one'.
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Well guys! I've pretty much decided. I'm really liking the Kimber Custom actually, its about 150.00 cheaper than the damned USP and about 100 cheaper than the Sig. Also.... :-\ Gander mountain has a BEAUTIFUL Python Elite.... used.... BEAUTIFUL.... 860.00. Gonna see if I can pull some strings after the kimber because unless you remember my post a while back my parents are buying the pistol as a 'present' as I'm under 21, so I'm going to be lucky to grab one of them. Maybe just another AR in place of the Python eh :(

Edited to add that I talked to the PD and this is completely legal, its not a "straw purchase" if thats what you were thinking....
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:31:07 PM EDT
[#7]
No, it's perfectly legal for your parents to buy you a gun. Hell, even Sarah Brady bought her son a rifle.

Kimbers are fine guns, no doubt. But the MOST accurate guns right out of the box are H&Ks. Their compact models balance much better than their fullsize brothern, IMO.

Someone once wrote: Only accurate guns are interesting.

My .o2
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#8]
You're tellin me that a fullsize usp 45 will be more accurate than the stock kimber??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top