Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2003 3:59:18 PM EDT
Ok, no one talks about Glocks in there discussions of .45, can you tell me why?
Looking to make my first.45 purchase soon
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Not much to say. Accurate gun, mushy trigger, very dependable, limited mods one can have done.

That would sum it all up, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:40:15 PM EDT
[#2]
High capacity, and it's a glock. Trigger job can be done to greatly improve it's feel. You can do it yourself with drop in parts.

Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a Glock 30 for years and just recently got rid of it.

I looked for an animated "smiley face spitting in disgust" icon but couldn't find one.

There are people who love the Glock 30, but I discovered I am not among them.

I'd recommend the Glock 21 preferably a 2nd generation.  It just feels and shoots better than the chunky 30.  My G30 would choke on FMJ ball, but would feed JHP's and SWC's fine.  Go figure.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
High capacity, and it's a glock.

Yessiree. Those Glock 30s & 36s sure DO have a LOT of capacity, eh?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes they do, that's a lot of .45's for a pistol of that size. A subcompact pistol with 10 rnds of .45 (Glock 30).

Glock 21 is 13 rounds of .45, and you can go up to 17+1 with a extended basepad (for USPSA/IPSC competition)

Oh and you can use glock 21 mags in a glock 30.

Glock 36 being a single stack is a different story.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
First hangunI ever purchased was a G21. It's a great gun. Shoots anything I stick in the mag. I run everything from semi wad cutters, to wide mouth hollowpoints, to +p hollowoints and now I'm using the all alloy IQ rounds. It always goes bang, except when some of the very old handloads primers failed. It's the gun that is on the nightstand beside my bed at night.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've never seen a Glock choke on FMJ ammo, Ken did you ever bitch to Glock?

No, because I'm sure they would have told me to send it in, and there was no way I was doing that.  About 3 rounds per mag would hang with the nose of the bullet wedged against the top of the chamber.

The FMJ problem wasn't the biggest reason I got rid of the gun.  It was painful to shoot and hard to hang onto.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I think that discussions about 45s is much like taliking about pickup trucks.  Most 45s work and work well and just like I like Ford Trucks for no other reason then I like them, I also love my Glock 21.

I like the Glock 21 as a Combat pistol.  By Combat pistol, I mean that it isn't a conceiled cary friendly gun and it isn't a great target pistol, but when I pull her out I know how the trigger is going to feel, thet the gun is reliable, it has good firepower due to the cartridge and magazine capacity, and it is a big enough gun that it will get the attention of whomever I need to point it at.

I have a Glock 21, Glock 17, and a Taurus 38 revolver and the Taurus is my normal cary piece and the G-17 is a cheaper paper punch to shoot then the G-21.  If I really want some firepower I cary the Glock 21 loaded with a highcap and 230-gr Speer Gold Dots.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 1:42:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I like my glock 21, but it's like shooting a brick to me! I don't have very big hands, and that 21 grip is pretty fat. However, I like the capacity and the recoil isn't too bad considering it's a poly-frame gun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I had troubl with the double stack 45 glocks back when I was using the crossed thumbs weaver grip. Once I changed to the thumbs forward modern iscoleces grip I found a lot more guns were shootable for me. Check out the first page of the double tap thread. My small hands can even grip a desert eagle now, though I have only shot one in .44. Still it was managable.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#13]
How are Glocks price wise in comparison to other .45's
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I would say they run in the $500-$600 range for a Glock 21 NIB in most parts. You can get them cheaper used of course.

I'm a huge glock fan, but not really a .45 fan. I think the glocks in 9mm and .40 are better for competition, and cheaper to shoot. The .45 ammo is pretty expensive if you don't reload.

Other .45 that I've liked are the Sig 220, CZ 97b, and of course a good 1911. If I were to get a 1911 single stack .45 It would be a STI Trojan. I really don't care much for the other 1911's because I would need to get relibility jobs, trigger work, beaver tails, etc to get them where I like them.

For concealed carry a Glock 30 would be good choice. I actually can shoot them quite well. I think they are one of the better shooting sub compacts. Once you learn the glock trigger (shooting from the reset) you can pretty much shoot any glock well. A glock is grip sensitive too, especially the subcompacts. When you get your mechanics down you become a all around better shooter.

OK I'm rambling

Glock 21 $500-$600
CZ 97b $650
Sig 220 $700
Lowest end 1911 I can recommend Kimber $800
The 1911 I recommend STI Trojan $1000
I cannot recommend the HK USP 45. I just dislike them $800-$1000

Again prices vary from place to place.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 8:09:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The FMJ problem wasn't the biggest reason I got rid of the gun.  It was painful to shoot and hard to hang onto.

No kidding? The grips were too wide or the grip was too short?

Both.  The grip was so fat I could never get my thumb far enough around the other side of the grip, so my thumb knuckle was right under the "beavertail."  After 100 rounds I was usually bleeding.  If I moved my thumb to the correct position, that would result in the trigger guard rubbing a raw spot on my trigger finger.  Combined with the too-narrow finger grooves on the frontstrap, I always felt like I barely had a hold on it.

And I never did like the "use half the magazine as part of the grip" theory.  You always had to remember not to pinch yourself putting it in. And I don't like to put tension on the magazine as a general rule.

My 21 is a pretty mild gun for a 45 and even my 36 isn't that bad, I have had new guys shooting them with pretty good luck.

The 21 is a whole other story.  It felt a lot better than the G30, probably because the "hump" on the backstrap was much further down.  Even the G36 wasn't as bad because I could get more of my hand around it.

I think those big revolver sights with the orange insert in the front blade are a big advantage even if they make the gun harder to holster.

I am a fiber optic fanatic now.  They are the best thing since sliced bread and peanut butter together.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 2 Glocks, A G-17 and a G-21 I love both of them but my 21 gets most of my attention. I have tweeked it alot for USPSA/IPSC shooting with just a few mods to upgrade its performance.
 All I added was a JP Enterprises Extended mag release, Tungstun Guide rod and new Wolff springs( Trigger ,recoil & stryker) 3.5 disconnect and titainium stryker. Oh, and a Brass Seattle Slug.
 The list of upgrades now available for glocks equals that of the 1911 now due to their rising popularity in and reliability in competition.
  Hell, you can even get a Caspian slide for them now
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a G21 and absolutely love it. It is my primary weapon, even for conceal carry. I am big guy so the thickness doesn't bother me at all, it actually feels very comfortable to hold and shoot...very controllable. Fired several thousand rounds through it, never never never had a jam. I use FMJ Federal or UMC ammo. Federal hydrohocks HPs, too. I have a couple 13 rnd mags as well in addition to the 10 rnders that came with. On the 13 rndrs, I tried augmenting them with +2 extenstions but that did cause some problems so I ditched the extensions.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The list of upgrades now available for glocks equals that of the 1911 now due to their rising popularity in and reliability in competition.  

Dude, this ain't Glocktalk. There's NO gun equaling the 1911 for aftermarket parts.
Link Posted: 9/23/2003 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I would say next to the 1911, the glock has the 2nd most amount of aftermarket parts. I would like to see more comps like the Novak 4 port comp, and wish Bevins would get that Tungsen magwell out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, But they are gaining ground
 You can get:
 Trigger kits or build your trigger from scratch.
 Custom Guiderods...Including Tungstun & Stainless...and Laser.
 Custom trigger springs
 Extended Mag and slide releases
 Match grade barrels
 Barrel comps.
 threaded barrels.
 Mag Wells (Yar, Glockmiester make a brass magwell that helps alot with weight dis.)
 Grip panels
 Grip sleeves
 Grip reductions
 Grip extentions
 Mag extentions
 +4-5 extender packs.
 pin kits
 Titainuim Strykers
 Specialized ejectors/extractors
 over 14 accessories for the utility   rail  ranging from Lights , lasers to forward grips.
 specialized holsters, and mag carriers.
 scope mounts
 Sites from every major manufacturer ranging from target to nite sights to fiber optic inserts.
 inserts for adding more weight to the grip (Seattle Slug)
 Caspian slides
 I own 2 1911's A Para and a Kimber and I have more aftermarket stuff for my Glocks than for them. And to think I used to say there is no way you could give me one of those cheap plastic guns!..
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I like my G30's grip.  I'm not a huge guy or anything but I like the chubby grip.  Even added a hogue handall and it helped control quite well.  Nevertheless I am selling it......

Anyone want a G30?
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:05:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Mag Wells (Yar, Glockmiester make a brass magwell that helps alot with weight dis.)

Yes but it is not avaliable for the Large frame glocks in .45 and 10mm, such as the glock 21 and 20. I have a brass magwell from "T.H.E" and like it alot.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:22:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, this ain't Glocktalk. There's NO gun equaling the 1911 for aftermarket parts.

Perhaps because Glocks are better, right out-of-the-box?

Link Posted: 9/24/2003 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#24]
He he he!  Ummmm.....wrong!

See Kimber for starters........
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Perhaps because Glocks are better, right out-of-the-box?

Better? No. More reliable? Most likely.

Of course, I'm a H&K man. Glocks need not apply.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2003 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a G30 and love it. 1 FTE in over 3,000 rounds and was due to cheap remanufactured ammo. It eats winchester white box without a single problem. The size is perfect for me but to each their own.

Pic just for fun (Sig 228 is the other pistola)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top