Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2003 10:06:18 PM EDT
A revolver with a polymer frame? Or is there too much flex with polymer versus metal?

I'm certainly no engineer but the thought does intrigue me.

Thoughts, anyone?
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:41:02 AM EDT
[#1]
probably not.  The stresses on a revolver frame are higher than an auto pistol.  In the auto pistol, you have a polymer frame, with steel rails that mate to the slide, and you have a spring to absorb recoil.   In a revolver, you have the frame to absorb recoil.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:44:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out some of the S&W line. Their Titanium frame 357's come in at 14-18 oz. Very light and not bad to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
So do you think a Polymer frame on say, a .22 would flex too much? Theres not a ton of preasure compared to a .357 is there?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:06:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I think if it was feasable, it would have been done already.
I have worn out aluminum frames in the past on old High Standard Sentinels, so I would balk at a plastic framed revolver anyway.
Plastic coated subframe maybe, but I can't see an all plastic/polymer frame due to the afore mentioned stresses and heat, not to mention any cylinder gap gas cutting of the top strap.
Obviously not an engineer either, just my thoughts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
It would seem that polymer can stand the stress of a 10mm or the .357Sig, so why not revolver calibers? Doesn't mean it can't be done just because it hasn't been done yet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 10:30:02 PM EDT
[#6]
of course it's been done already ..

a .357 Break top polymer frame revolver .. it's Russian ..

http://www.handloads.com/forum/showthread.asp?topic=5&thread=141

looks kinda interesting ..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top