Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2003 11:58:40 PM EDT
I know its probably been discussed but thats where I am in my first handgun purchase. Please opinionate amongst yourselves....
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 3:23:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Which Sig?  220, 228,226, 225, Pro? Are you looking to carry or to shoot? I love my Sigs. Every one has been a great shooter right out of the box. The only issue I have had is the park finish they used to do on the 220's does not last too well.  One of my fav carry guns is the 225. Yea it is single stack, but with 9 rounds of +p 9mm, I'm not giving up that much. Then there is the price.

I also have an XD40 and I have a little over half of what I paid for a 226 in it.  It is a great shooting, safe, reliable gun.  If you want something bigger than a .40 you will have to go with the 220 or 245 Sig for now.  

I have to say that I have found it hard to find the money for a 228 I want since I bought my XD.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 3:32:41 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both the Sig P-226 and the XD-9.  Both are great pistols but the Sig will cost you.  I would, however, recommend the Sig as a first pistol for a couple of reasons

First, you get both single and double action trigger pulls.  The more traditional hammer may be more of a tool to learn on especially of you are going to buy more pistols later.  The decocker works great also.

Second is a matter of safety.  The XD-9 is a safe pistol.  There is no way to fire it unless your hand is around the grip and you pull the trigger.  However, when field stripping the gun, you must pull the trigger in order to release the slide.  Of course, you should always clear your weapon before maintenance but having to pull the trigger just begs for an accident.  

Both are great pistols.  If I were new to handguns, I would choose the Sig.  Being experienced with handguns, I still choose the Sig.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 3:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an old Gen 1 HS2000 (AKA XD) a several SiGs. I prefer the SiGs over the Croation Sensation (slightly) but the Croation Sensation over the SiG 2009 and 2340.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can afford it, SIG.  MUCH better trigger.  I've fired both.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:47:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Sig.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm very experienced with all matter of firearms. Its not an experience thing really. its more a preference thing. I'm not talking about the fullsize Sigs but the compact ones probaby. A gun I can use for everything.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#7]
XD's the best bang for the buck but if you feel like shelling out the extra cash get the sig! The XD would be a great starter gun because you will wind up with more anyway!
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#8]
It depends on what you want...Striker fired (SA) vs. DA/SA.  Do you like metal frames or do you prefer polymer; although Sig does make a polymer framed pistol.  I, personally, loathe DA/SA guns. You don't see them on defense rifles, why are they on handguns? I prefer the trigger pull of the first and last shot be exactly the same. I believe with the H&K, you, at least, have the option of carrying "cocked and locked." This is just a personal preference of mine. I have a Beretta 92FS (DA/SA), and it's okay. I prefer either single action or the Glock safe action.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I would get the SIG if the choice was between those 2 only.  My 226 was excellent.  very accurate and the controls just seemed perfect to me. the only other gun that toppped the controls on the sig was my P7M13.  

I sold the 226 because I was just faster and more accurate with my USP. Not saying its better, just that I was better with the USP.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got both, SIg 226 and HS2000/xd9 (same thing). I'd say get the XD :) Just feels better to me and just as accurate .
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#11]
XD
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#12]
XD all the way.  It's best reasonably priced handgun out there.  Make sure you get the bi-tone version though.  The finish on the all black isn't the best in the world (some ppl have problems with rust and early wear).
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
XD all the way.  It's best reasonably priced handgun out there.  Make sure you get the bi-tone version though.  The finish on the all black isn't the best in the world (some ppl have problems with rust and early wear).

You konw how hard that bi-tone is to find? Its next to impossible right now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Just had my XD recoated! It turned out awsome! If anyone wants their phone # just IM me! I'd just post it but it's not with me!
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Mac's tuff coatin tiger stripe :)
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:07:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I can't comment on a Sig as I've never had one but I bought an XD-9 a few months ago and I absolutely love it!
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#17]
The XD9 is my favorite pistol.  More fun than any others I have, and you can get full capacity magazines cheap.  All you do is buy an XD40 mag, and stick 15 rounds in it.  Works perfectly, and is completely legal.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#18]
SIG P239 in .357SIG, a Sparks VM-2 holster, and a .40 drop in barrel. Great carry gun, and great shooter. Oh, and a set of Nill grips to top it off.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have an old Gen 1 HS2000 (AKA XD) a several SiGs. I prefer the SiGs over the Croation Sensation (slightly) but the Croation Sensation over the SiG 2009 and 2340.

i thought springfield armory was a US company. so where is the XD actually made? not that it would change my opnion just curious (i'm still getting the XD40 for my first piece)
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:26:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i thought springfield armory was a US company. so where is the XD actually made? not that it would change my opnion just curious (i'm still getting the XD40 for my first piece)

The XD was originally called the HS2000 and was made in Croatia. Springfield Armory bought the rights to market it in the US and they are imported.

I still want an XD but I gave up finding what I wanted. I'll get one later, going for a Kimber Eclipse instead for now. Good luck finding yours...
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I love my sig, I bought it used for 380 out the door with ammo.

If you look around, there a lot of police trade ins on the older (mine was date coded 93) SIGs out there. They have some slight holster wear, but they have hardly been fired.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top