Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2003 7:07:54 PM EDT
When cleaning the bore of your pistol, do you folks clean from the breech to muzzle or muzzle to breach? Do you use any type of a guide to protect the muzzle and/or chamber?

I clean from breach to muzzle on my rifle and use a bore guide to do so. I want to be able to take the same tenacious care of my P228 as I do my AR-15!

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Never clean from the muzzle end unless the firearm has to be cleaned that way (M1, M14, revolver, etc) and in that case, use a bore guide/muzzle protector to protect the crown.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I figured as much - however, is there a product for a pistol that serves the same purpose as a bore guide for a rifle?  Or is crown damage from rod cleaning not a concern on a 3.9" barrel?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I would presume you'll disassemble the pistol to clean the barrel, so you should be OK cleaning it from the breech end. Just mnake sure you are using an aluminum cleaning rod, or a coated rod.

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
hmmm.... I can see the issue when cleaning the AR-15...from breech to muzzle, with the brass rod or fiberglass rod and with a bore guide...primarily so the rod doesn't scratch the bore (with the chromed barrels, not so much an issue) and from breech to muzzle because pulling the crap back into the breech on the AR-15, which in and of itself is damned crappy, and a real problem if not kept CLEAN (witness the problems in Iraq)! With a 3.15 inch barrel in a 1911 style .45 caliber, when the slide and barrel are removed not so much an issue, especially with bringing the gunk into the breech from the muzzle. I frequently use a bore snake from breech to muzzle and strip-clean the Kimber monthly, otherwise. More problems occur with both the AR-15 and 1911's by overzealous cleanings than shooting them mildly dirty. Now in Iraq, where the CLP was a magnet for desert sand and dirt, that was a different story.
RugerCal480 (Mike)
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 3:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree on going from the breech.  But what do you do about a revolver?
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#6]
going from the breech in a revolver:  use a bore snake from the breech to the muzze, or place an aluminum rod from the muzzle without a pad, insert and from the breech load a pad and pull it through to the muzzle end, but...again....overcleaning leads to more inaccuracy problems, than from the muzzle to the breech in revolvers or automatics. The main thing is not getting gunk back into the chamber, as much as it is the crown. In a single action remove the cylinder and use the bore snake.
Ruger
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#7]
bwilliams; Bore Snake, throw the rods out. Bore Snake, the greatest item invented for cleaning the chamber and bore of firearms, especially for the inept. It can be used without tearing the firearm down for light maintenance. If you can pull a rope you can handle a Bore Snake without the damage of rod type devices. That should cover the basics. Jeep
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top