Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2003 3:24:27 PM EDT
my wifes uncle is going to give me an old model 1911 he has had and doesnt use.  we had been talking firearms when he mentioned the gun and said i could have it if i wanted it because i was going to buy a kimber.  he said it may have some value to it because it only had a 4 digit serial number on the guns frame.  ive never owned a 1911 and am trying to figure out what i may get.  thanks for any help in advance
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of possibilities...........need much more info. Make, finish, Commercial?, Military? all original?.......Let us know when you've got it in hand.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
the gun will be a mystery to me until i actually have it in my hands next month when they move down to florida next month.  i was just trying to get an idea if a serial number in this range makes the gun special in any way.  ill update with a new post when i actually recieve it.  i figured id need more info
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll stick my neck out a little here - if it's a Colt, it would have to be an early 1911. This alone makes it collectable and valuable. How much will be determined by condition. It could be from the first year of production, and may be a U.S. gun. Can't wait to get the scoop on this one. You may want to figure on getting one to shoot anyway, as the Colt may be too valuable to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top