Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2003 11:09:21 PM EDT
Hello, Is $450 a good price for a Springfield 1911A1 milspec in stainless steel? What do you think of this pistol? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a real good price for SS. I assume it's the brushed, matte SS instead of the bright polished finish?

There's been a couple of guys who have written about their SA SS Govt models having their slides break.

I own a SA Govt model that I had a Wilson NM barrel installed. Little SOB can flat out shoot!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:02:31 AM EDT
[#2]
SNAG IT!

That's a good price for the milspec.  I got my parkerized for $475.  The Stainless is usually a little more.

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:35:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hello, Is $450 a good price for a Springfield 1911A1 milspec in stainless steel? What do you think of this pistol? Thanks

Great gun and 1911s in stainless are my weakness.
Is that new or used?
I got my 1911-A1 in park, in the cardboard box before they offered a stainless version and it hasn't skipped a beat yet, all hollowpoints included. Must be some reason I kept it?
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I paid $450 for my parkerized M1911a1 three years ago.  Great handgun, no missfires or jams.  That is a good price for a SS.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my SA Mil-Spec in parkerized for $399.  I would say $450 for the stainless would be a great price.  Snag it while you can. You won't get tired of shooting it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:36:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a tag-on to my reply to your "big decision" question.

Don'y buy the mil-spec, buy the loaded Springfield. It will cost a little over $100 more, and save you a fortune later when you decide you want a beavertail, Novak sights, extended safety, etc. Last I looked, the Novak Low-mount was about $160 alone to have it installed. The extra cost of the loaded is a bargain just for the sight system.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I disagree about the Loaded.  Many reports, which coincide with my experience, contend that several corners get cut on the Loaded.  The rear sight cuts on the Loaded tend to be oversized, which means they have to use a set screw and lots of Loctite to hold the sight in place.  The slide to frame fit is also sloppier on the Loaded, and the grip safety tends to also be poorly fitted.

The Mil-spec is generally felt to be better put together, and is about $100 less.  Plus it doesn't have those forward slide serrations, which I personally don't care for.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:30:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Go with the Milspec.  Save the $100.  I like my pistol pretty plain, so I sold off my Loaded and got the Milspec.  Plus, I hate those damn front slide serrations.  The ONLY thing I'd like on my milspec that it doesn't have is a beavertail grip safety.  The stock milspec safety doesn't bother me tho, so I don't think I'll bother with it.  

I think the Milspec will be a pistol that many people will build up on.  I want to try to keep mine pretty 'milspec'.  I'll find a Sistema or something to trick out a little...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top