Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2007 10:16:56 AM EDT
Looking for some advise and wisdom.
I am looking at another 40 S&W,
I like the SIG  226 Equinox and the full size Baby Eagle.
It will be a concealed carry and range toy. I haven't handled either one yet.
Anybody have preference with these?
Likes and opinions.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 10:34:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Much of a fan as I am of the Baby Eagle, namely for the shape of its' grip, I'd say go with the Sig unless you're left handed.

The Sig is lighter and is a widely issued duty pistol with a great reputation for reliabilty. While Baby Eagles tend to be bomb proof, they are a combo Italian/Israeli CZ clone that I have seen develop some issues.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#2]
what issues have you seen develop? I'm curious because I almost bought one this morning but held off...
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I would take a Sig over the Baby Eagle any day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I am right handed. 6'4" and 190 lbs, so the size is not an issue.
I know this SIG has a proven pedigree, and the Equinox is a beautiful little machine.
But, the Baby Eagle really intrigues me, it seems to be rock solid and built like a truck.
Price has me thinking too, the SIG lists for almost 3 times the cost of a Baby Eagle!

Link Posted: 9/15/2007 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
what issues have you seen develop? I'm curious because I almost bought one this morning but held off...

Mine went back to the factory three times with a firing pin issue. Seemed to be a fitting issue, but I suspect that cycling the pistol with the de-cocker engaged (per the factory manual) and/or dry firing induced the problem. Magnum Research never confirmed this, but other owners have reported it and I haven't had any problems since I discontinued those practices. Being an evolution of the CZ>Tangfolio>Jericho line, all of which started out with frame safeties, I think there may be an engineering problem in the decocker/firing pin safety mechanism.

I don't really look at it as a con, I'm a BIG fan of the Baby Eagle/Jericho line (and am still looking for a Jercho .45!), but at the end of the day they are a inexpensive import that doesn't hold near the service history of the Sig (of which I'm not a fan!).
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 11:23:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for the Sig here. First let me admit that I have ZERO experience with the Baby Eagle so I cant really compare the two. However my P220 and P226 have both been very good to me. They both eat up whatever ammunition I feed them and both are accurate pistols.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a CZ75B and a SIG P226 and if I was going to carry one for CCW I would go with the SIG P226 as it it lighter, but the SIG you want is a little heavier than the CZ.  The SIG will be easier to conceal though.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The Baby Eagle isn't in the same class as the SIG. I have several SIGs that are all excellent. The Baby Eagle is ok for a lower end gun. Frankly I think the only reason they have stuck around is so people can say "I have a (softly)Baby(softly) (loudly)Desert Eagle(loudly)". A friend of mine had one that was nothing but trouble. I didn't care for the handling or feel of the gun either.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 1:33:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the sig.if the price is right,you can buy a 357sig barrel and double your guns
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 7:46:17 PM EDT
[#10]
One vote for the baby eagle.  My Sigs have been (226, Mosquito).  I have a friend with baby DE in 9mm and its going strong after many, many rounds.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#11]
My Baby Eagle also broke a firing pin, which was pretty sad since it didn't get much range time at all, and even less dry firing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Baby Eagle, it is super easy to cut down on the trigger pull by switching springs. Its heavy but the inside is the same as a CZ (proven desighn) Sigs will start to get super loose past 5,000 rds. Plus when you go to the range Poeple will say"what the hell is that"
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 for the Baby Eagle.

I own the all steel one and it functions great... the grip is really comfortable... and I am very accurate with it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Sig For The Win.  Firing pins breaking?  226 is made to last.
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 2:01:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd get an Elite.  I think the Equinox Sigs look fugly.  The Elites are HOT!  I'm not a Sig fan, but there's this 229 Elite in 9mm that I've been lusting after...
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#16]
SIG for carry, Baby Eagle for shooting.

Which will you do the most of?
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the Baby Eagle. I have not owned one or shot one. I have fondled one several times and Have owned a Tanfolglio, With a slide mounted decocker. The Italian pistol shot better than anything I have fired in a long time. Super easy to hit with good speed despite crappy sights. Sights are good on the Eagle and make for an improvement that has me continue to eye that Baby Eagle I am looking at.
I have had two Sig 226's. They do nothing for me what so ever. I do like the 225, but thats another story.
All steel or alloy frame, major differences on a big gun as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Sig elite 220r, 4 glocks, walther and a .40 BDeagle. I think it is great. More accurate than the glocks (for me)and very reliable. It does not have much trade value but i think it is sort of cool. Mine says UZI on the slide. I leave it n the car while all the rest are in the safe. It is a keeper.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Go with the Sig.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The Baby Eagle isn't in the same class as the SIG. I have several SIGs that are all excellent. The Baby Eagle is ok for a lower end gun. Frankly I think the only reason they have stuck around is so people can say "I have a (softly)Baby(softly) (loudly)Desert Eagle(loudly)". A friend of mine had one that was nothing but trouble. I didn't care for the handling or feel of the gun either.

no.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have a Sig elite 220r, 4 glocks, walther and a .40 BDeagle. I think it is great. More accurate than the glocks (for me)and very reliable. It does not have much trade value but i think it is sort of cool. Mine says UZI on the slide. I leave it n the car while all the rest are in the safe. It is a keeper.

UZI Eagle is actually pretty uncommon/rare.
It was only imported for a year, two at the most.

You might want to think about retiring it before it gets trashed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 7:21:33 AM EDT
[#22]
thanks for the heads up BB. I will check it out!
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 7:26:16 AM EDT
[#23]
My suggestion is get the BE and get a Kahr CW40...  You get two pistols for the price of the sig, with one that is a better range/ IDPA type gun (the BE) and one that is a superior CCW (the Kahr).

- AG
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 7:28:33 AM EDT
[#24]
After reading this thread, I got a hi power. I like it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Sig!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Elite forces carry......SIG!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top