Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 4:09:35 PM EDT
A GUY THAT I KNOW AT WORK JUST BOUGHT A HOUSE. HIM AND HIS WIFE WOULD LIKE TO BUY A GUN FOR HOME DEFENSE. SO I GAVE HIM MY OPINIONS THEN HE TELLS ME THAT HIS WIFE ONLY HAS 1 FINGER ON EACH HAND! NOW I HAVE NO IDEA AS WHAT TO EVEN HAVE HIM LOOK AT. I WOULD LIKE AN IDEAS THAT I COULD PASS ON. THANKS

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
CAP LOCK
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It may not be a handgun at all, but a lever action rifle, depending on how much of the hands are intact.
I can visualize a lever action working better as you have a forearm, hip and cheek to aid holding, cocking and firing.
I wish your buddy well in his quest and welcome you here too, xFatboyx.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a Ruger 10-22 rifle?  I think the lack of digits would make it difficult to hold on to a piece of wood/metal so a long rifle with mild recoil of 22 would be more ideal.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... HIS WIFE ONLY HAS 1 FINGER ON EACH HAND...

... Wow! What are the fucking odds on that configuration?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
speed dial to 911...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. This is a hard one, only having one finger on each hand definately limits the choices. A rifle or shotgun would probably be too unwieldy so a pistol is the only real choice. Something with light recoil, .40 or smaller is what I would suggest.

Have him take her to a range that rents guns and have her try differant models, hell, she may even be quite adept at using a shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:17:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#7]
one finger plus thumbs? or just one digit?  thats kind of sad.  my great grandmother was missing a hand but she was able to get by.  she may be able to hold a handgun with both hands but it will be tough.  not to mention reloads.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#8]
JUST ONE DIGIT. KIND OF SAD.  HE DID SAY SHE IS THE FASTEST TYPER IN HER OFFICE.  SO I GUESS IT DOESNT BOTHER HER TO MUCH. THANKS FOR SOME OF THE SUGGESTIONS. I GOING TO SEND HIM TO SHOOTERS WORLD HERE IN PHOENIX AND HAVE THEM TRY SOME OUT. I HOPE THEY HAVE SOME LUCK.  THANKS AGAIN
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Some of my personal choices would be, If I were in the same delema....
1)flame thrower
2)pre loaded Gatlin Gun (surely she could operate the crank)
3) double barrel 10 Ga --->>>click BOOOOM
4)some of those ninji throwing knives,
 and last but not least
5)dynamite!!(it might not be the safest of choices but it will most certainly get the job done  

OR

she could seek medical help and have a PROSTHETIC device like the guy had in the movie "KINGPIN" that guy completed some major Bowling tasks with that rubber hand of his..

I did have an uncle that while in Vietnam lost both his hands and later went on to become the best engineer in the country, He set more tripwires for claymores than any other man in his detail were able to accomplish....all that with no hands ..it is a proven fact of the human body will overcome a limb loss and re-adjust a nother member or skill to overcome such an event...Tell her to find the weapon of choice and master it as if it were lost limb...to esentually make it an extention of her body..Good Luck and Thumbs UP!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm thinking a semi-auto rifle - kept loaded.  She would have to try out different models to see what kind shee could change the magazine one - but I'm thinking an AK or similar mag setup might not be too bad.

They could fashion a leather loop on the forend to make it easier for her to handle.  Not sure how she would do with any pistol grips...
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd say a semi auto 20 guage or 12 guage. If she uses some lighter loads it will be very mild. The semi auto action itself sucks up a lot of the felt recoil.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Well.... if she can cradle an AK in her arm....she could be a bumpfire champion!

(humor intended)

Something semiauto, with a sling. A handgun is out of the question. How's she gonna hold it? Just think... an AR assault sling.... use one nub to keep the barrel level.... the other to squeeze the trigger.....

I think that might almost be a viable option.
Of course, the best option is probably the 911 on speed dial idea.....
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]
does she have the index finger? no luck if shes only got pinkies.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:58:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

... if she can cradle an AK in her arm....she could be a bumpfire champion!

(humor intended)...

... Holy shit! A good hard laugh is a great way to jump start your day! However, the coffee through the nose and onto the laptop cannot be good.

(All apologies to the poor womanz if she really exists. Me thinks we might have a new comedian aboard. )
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:25:11 AM EDT
[#15]
sorry but with only 1 figer 2 total theres no way she can saftly handle a hand gun(get it, they call them HAND guns not finger guns and 1 finger at that)is this serious or a joke.if your serious its sad if its a joke its still sad.
i mean come on how can you seriously expect a  1 fingerd woman to shoot a  gun
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Like someone mentioned, cradle a rifle. This is my suggestion, keep a light weight, short stocked(stubby or the new Ace) AR loaded with a full 30 round mag. She can use her weak arm to hook around the mag with enough pressure to keep it into her shoulder and work the trigger with her strong arm finger, also using the base of her hand to stabilize things.
If she will use a light, I would suggest using a forend mounted version with a tape switch attached to a vertical grip. I just tried this with my stubby stocked bushy and it works great!
What she would do is use the palm of her hand to hook around the grip with enough pressure to hold the rifle into her shoulder, wrap her finger around the grip to hit the tape switch. and use her other hand to stabilize the weapon and work the trigger.
Make sure she uses high quality hot ammo(M193)and maintains the weapon to minimize the chance of malfunctions. There may be a better way, but none come to mind at the present time. Other things that may help to manipulate the weapon would be an ambi selector, tac latch for the charging handle.

Hopefully this helps, tell her to be innovative and aggressive and she will succeed in this.

Mark
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#17]
The main reason I suggested a lever action rifle, it removes magazine manipulation from being a problem...loading (in the side gate), cocking (a finger in the lever)and firing (a smallish carbine type rifle having more places of contact) and still potent enough to do the job, let alone the intimidation factor.
I still can't see a handgun being used effectively, without knowing what exactly she has to work with.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:41:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
sorry but with only 1 figer 2 total theres no way she can saftly handle a hand gun(get it, they call them HAND guns not finger guns and 1 finger at that)is this serious or a joke.if your serious its sad if its a joke its still sad.
i mean come on how can you seriously expect a  1 fingerd woman to shoot a  gun

HEY LOOK! SHES NOT MY WIFE NOT MY PROBLEM. I WAS JUST TRYING TO FIND OUT SOME INFO TO PASS ON.  THE GUY IS NOT WANTING TO TAKE HER ON A MUTIPLE GUN SHOTTING SPREE JUST SOMETHING SHE COULD USE TO PROTECT HER SELF FROM A ROBER. I DONT KNOW IF HE WILL EVER EVEN BUY A GUN.  BUT I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE HIM SOME POSSIBLE OPTIONS.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#19]
a hand grenade?  

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Hand Grenade would require a hand. Or are you asking how?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:53:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hand Grenade would require a hand. Or are you asking how?

Well.... get her some steel toed boots. grasp the grenade bewteen her two fingers, bite the pin and pull with teeth, then drop kick the grenade.

You're gonna want to make sure she gets alot of practice though...if she kicks and misses, having only two fingers may be the least of her problems.

(as said before, im trying to bring some humor to this. I am in no way trying to knock fun of this unfortunate woman. They say laughter cures all ills)

.....or does all ills cure laughter...?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Any choice will be awkward but the one gun that comes to mind is the US GI M1 .30 carbine. The gun is compact and very lightweight. She obvioulsy isn't going to have much grip and this small, light gun with little recoil is probably as good as anything she could use. It doesn't have an awkward pistol grip either which might make it easier to hold and point. The controls are also all easy to manipulate and within reach and the bolt is smooth, light and easy to operate as well.

My suggestion, pick up one in these in good surplus condition, install an M2 mag catch if it doesn't have one, load it with a US GI 30 round magazine and it fill said mag with 30 rounds of Remington 110 gr JSP. If she can manage this set-up, I would not want to be on the receiving end of it! Hope this helps.

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:40:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Check it out guys..Remember the movie with Arnold Swartzeneger and Jamie Lee Curtis when they were fighting terrorist in the FL Key's over a Nuclear weapon???
TRUE LIES....

Arnold was getting his ass kicked by some raghead and Jamie lee Curtis had the MAC 10 fullauto and she droped the gun down the steps and the MAC went into "kill everything mode" and destroyed all the bad guys...

I think with the situation at "HAND" we need to discuss the possibilities of some of the training these Hollywood hero's must have taken pryor to filming this awesome movie, its not always the gun that saves you in a tight spot but the training...I suggest that she get a cheap class 3 gun and just throw it at the bad guys...it worked for Jamie Lee
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#25]
FWIW,

I once worked for a man that had severe birth defects that caused him to have abnormal hands.  3-4 'fingers' per hand.  Although the digits were used as fingers, they did not really 'look' like fingers.  Very sad defect since his son was even further disabled.

There is a congenital birth defect that does cause a person to have few if any fingers on their hand.

Norman, my employer, was able to overcome his birth defect and was a heck of a nice guy.  His son, with abbreviated arms and few (maybe 1-2) 'fingers' was able to live a productive life.

I do not know xFatboyx, but I do know of the existence of a this type of birth defect.

Norman could fire any handgun, his son, I think, used shotguns and rifles.

TRG

ps.  DrJeffAllen, and Kidlightning might be able to add more details.

Link Posted: 6/10/2003 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#26]
FWIW - I work with a guy with the use of only one arm. he described to me how he loads and clears his Glock 17. He scared the Hell out of me but it seems to work for him.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:53:24 AM EDT
[#27]
german sheperd?

pit bull?

realy pissed-off chihuahua?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I agree with the 10/22.  How the hell is she going to control the recoil of a shotgun, or most any other rifle?  The 10/22 would be very easy to control with only two fingers.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
A GUY THAT I KNOW AT WORK JUST BOUGHT A HOUSE. HIM AND HIS WIFE WOULD LIKE TO BUY A GUN FOR HOME DEFENSE. SO I GAVE HIM MY OPINIONS THEN HE TELLS ME THAT HIS WIFE ONLY HAS 1 FINGER ON EACH HAND! NOW I HAVE NO IDEA AS WHAT TO EVEN HAVE HIM LOOK AT. I WOULD LIKE AN IDEAS THAT I COULD PASS ON. THANKS

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top