Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 7:16:09 PM EDT
I have a Ruger .357 with a 2 3/4" barrel.  Am I correct to assume that with .357 cartridges, a vast majority of the charge is still burning long after the bullet has left the muzzle?  I'm trying to decide if it's worth loading it with .357 cartridges, or if I should stick with .38 or .38+p.  My goal is to have the highest muzzle energy.  Recoil is not an issue.  All the amunition sites I could find campare their ballistics based on a 6" barrel, but none list how much energy is lost with the shorter barrels.

TIA,  Tom
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I think so.  Shoot it at night and you tell me!  Typically your 9mm and .40 Smith are the best option when short barrel is required.

I can't beleive how short they make .45 ACPs.  How much of the cartridge to you want to waste anyway?  Even in a 5" barrel they only achieve about 850 fps.  Anything slower than that and you could practically jump out of the way of the bullet!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#2]
General rule of thumb is a handgun rd loses approx 50/fps per inch on each inch below a 4" barrel. IOW, a 2" would lose 100/fps.

Given that general spec, a .357 is still far superior to the .38spl, IMO. HP performance may be a concern though, given the speed loss.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:04:59 AM EDT
[#3]
yes
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:53:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think so.  Shoot it at night and you tell me!  Typically your 9mm and .40 Smith are the best option when short barrel is required.

I can't beleive how short they make .45 ACPs.  How much of the cartridge to you want to waste anyway?  Even in a 5" barrel they only achieve about 850 fps.  Anything slower than that and you could practically jump out of the way of the bullet!

markm hits the nail on the head.

The .357 is powerful enough that, even with a fair amount of lost velocity, it's still a good stopper.

The 9mm and even the .40S&W are naturals for short barreled pistols because the powder used in commercial loadings results in relatively high chamber pressures and fast burn times. Therefore, not much energy is lost with shorter barrels.

By contrast, 45 ACP barrel lengths less than Commander length experience a significant decrease in velocity. The very short barreled 45s have a nice looking big bore but the terminal ballistics of approximately a 38 special fired from a 4" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.  I have 9's, 40's and 45's for "regular" use.  I don't generally rely on the short .357, but I've been looking at getting a couple more wheel guns and my curiosity got the best of me.

Thanks again,  Tom
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top